• Welcome to our new sponsor Lecatona, a brand dedicated to enhancing performance for VAG group sports cars, including SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Škoda. Specializing in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) upgrades.

Kwik Fit Breaks

simonleonGTI

Hey

Dropped my car off at Kwik Fit earlier today to get a break check, free. They have just got back to me saying that the front discs and pads could do with changing, which i knew was coming up, and said something about a slider, didnt catch exactly what he said as i was in a rush and will discuss further down the Garage.

Whats this slider he is talking about, he said it may be affecting the break fluid making it too hot, or something.

Quoted my £156 for front pads and discs, without this work for a "slider" plus sorting out the rear wheel bearings. Is it any good,??

I will be going to smaller local garages as well, just while im at work what do you guys reckon?

simonleonGTI

ibize 8v 1997.
I know thought the price was steep, just didnt want to look like a twat without checking, lol
Live Stevenage, going to pick the car up now and get a smaller garage quote, see what they say, will post back later.

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
DO it yourself, its one of the easiest maintenance jobs on a mk2. 20 er disc and 30 for a set of pads, plus the satisfaction factor will be cool knowing you did it yourself.

simonleonGTI

Just ran car to local garage, they are giving it their own inspection tomorow, so will post up the difference, the "slider the refered to is a hydraulic part that operates teh brake, that mine is quite seized up or something.

Anyway the quote was without bearing adjustment and the slider change, so it was just £156 for 2 discs and 2 pad sets, lol
May not be a brake expert but damn sure i could get brembos for cheaper, and all four.

Anyways let you guys know. Thought it might be alright going to quick fit, as they have warranties on all brake parts, basically whatever they fit, as soon as it wears they will replace, lol Obviously thats why the price is so high, lol

jcs356

Cordy owner
Jul 12, 2004
Englandland
Biggest problem you might have with a DIY pad and disc change is freeing the bolt(s) holding the calliper. It is nice and easy to do with a long bar with a car on a ramp at an easy working height; not quite so easy with the car on axle stands!

jcs356

Cordy owner
Jul 12, 2004
Englandland
Ive never done it any other way.
Neither have I.
Just from my experience of changing discs and pads on axle stands it takes a little longer because of the more restrictive conditions and lack of space you have to work with under the car. Especially if the calliper mounting bolt doesn't want to play ball.

andycupra

status subject to change
funny, as even before i read your post i knew what they would have suggested just knowing it was kwik fit. if ive ever used places like that for small minor jobs i used to get told exactly that every time.
whats the lip like on the disks?

definately get a second opinion from somone you trust. (but also note brakes are not to be skimpt on either).

ps
i dont recommend you go somewhere like 'fortunate one' ;) as they are commission or bonus based...

Last edited:

simonleonGTI

Lol cheers for the offer. But in the South East of England.
The work they have quoted me that needs doing i knew myself needed doing, just wanted to get the whole system including lines and fluid checked, which they do for free, lol

All that is fine, its just the price they quoted is too high, lol

But car is going into local garage this morning for a check to see what they reckon.
I know i can do it myself, but its finding the time at the moment, if i can get a reasonable quote i'll get them to do it while im on holiday, reult, lol

Anyways ill keep you guys posted as to the price difference

simonleonGTI

Update#~~~

Took car to local garage this morning, along with the work assesment sheet from kwik fit.
left it with them for the morning, they have just got back to me, they guy was trying his best to hide his amasement at the amount of work that quick fir thought i needed doing, lol

Most of it isn't needed.

Just the Pads need changing, which i knew, so are doing my pads and sorting out my exhaust, as i had a split in the mid section and the baffler had gone in the back box.

Altogether, Just under £100!!!

Which is Just a tad better, granted the pads i could do myself, but time is hard to come by at the moment, and wanted to get it done before my holiday.

Think it will be the first and last time i ever leave my vehicle in the hands of kwik fit

andycupra

status subject to change
funny, as even before i read your post i knew what they would have suggested just knowing it was kwik fit. if ive ever used places like that for small minor jobs i used to get told exactly that every time.

definately get a second opinion from somone you trust. (but also note brakes are not to be skimpt on either).

QUOTE]

:whistle:

andycupra

status subject to change

:whistle:

glad you got it sorted

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.