Which of these do I need? (Cams)

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
bl means you get a new set of cams.
ex means you need to exchange them for your cars cams.

you need to find out what lift and duration they are before parting with money,you also need to know what you want from a set of cams(and don't just say faster). it is always recomended to have the head polished and ported to allow better flow,and to get the cam mapped to get the best from them.

expect to pay about 1000quid for all this and about 180 bhp and and a bit of torque increase.

Last edited:

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
the first couple of kits are 264 duration,which is what a few people have used.

the last kit is 278 duration,which may be a bit "peaky" for road application, which will give you a bit of a lumpy idle and to get the best out of it you'll need to rev the ibiza more than you do now.
i must add,i have no real experience other than what i have read on here and seen some of the other 16v ibiza's at trackdays etc.

F2 Stu

I. Am. Legend.
Oct 4, 2001
Crawley, UK
Visit site
Running circa 288's - power kicks in like a sledgehammer at 4k rpm and surges all the way up the rest of the revrange (when it works lol), but mine is far from just head and cam job

the first couple of kits are 264 duration,which is what a few people have used.

the last kit is 278 duration,which may be a bit "peaky" for road application, which will give you a bit of a lumpy idle and to get the best out of it you'll need to rev the ibiza more than you do now.
i must add,i have no real experience other than what i have read on here and seen some of the other 16v ibiza's at trackdays etc.

Right, so from that, I can conclude that I'd be best with the 264 jobbies?

I currently have a filter and exhaust, I've budgeted for the map which will be needed with the addition of the cams, and that's been priced up at £275.

Wasn't aware I'd need the head doing too. There is a place quite local to myself that are reputedly competent at this, I'll have to call in one day this week and get a quote.

Anyone have any idea what the power delivery will be like with this set up? Or is that mostly down to the map?

Thanks for the info by the way guys!

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
All companies give different figures I find for their cams. I got schrick 268 cams in mine and they are on the limit that the stock ecu will take and will JUST pass the mot, very lumpy on idle. But you will also need to find out the lift on the cams to.

If you going for cams you might as well save a bit more and go for a ported and polished head to get the best out of everything.

Try to find a 4-1 or 4-2-1 manifold.... TSR use to make one and another company called Top Gear do one for the 16v Ibiza's. And don't forget to budget for labour!!!

Last edited:
Regarding the manifold, I think the Top Gear one is LHD only? As far as I'm aware anyway.

I've copied and pasted the info listed on the MSW site for the 264 cams, hopefully this will mean a lot more to some of you than it does to me!

Application : Cams - Sports Injection - Ex

Details : Price per pair of cams.
Powerband = 2000-6500rpm.
Valve Lift (Inlet/Exhaust) = 10.94mm
Duration (Inlet/Exhaust) = 264 Degrees
Timing (Inlet Open/Close)/(Exhaust Open/Close) = 22/64 64/22
Full Lift (Inlet/Exhaust) = 110/110 Degrees
Valve Clearance = 0.00mm

Oh, and lastly, is it common consensus I'll be looking at circa 180bhp then?

I'm on the Top Gear website at the minute, and there is no listing for SEAT. However, there is one for the Golf GTi 16v. Would this fit, or am i right in thinking there would be vitally small differences that would complicate the fitting of the manifold no end?!

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
I'm on the Top Gear website at the minute, and there is no listing for SEAT. However, there is one for the Golf GTi 16v. Would this fit, or am i right in thinking there would be vitally small differences that would complicate the fitting of the manifold no end?!

That will be the one..... you may need to "modifiy" the bulk head with a big bar and a sledge hummer to make a bit more clearness for it!

Chrisdaman

1 gearbox dead, any more?
Mar 21, 2007
Kingston
www.flickr.com
buy a megasquirt remappable ECU and then get the higher lift cams, didnt think the Golf Gti manifolds fitted (might have a look now :D)

that top gear one is a 4-1 stainless manifold, will that fit ok? ( what will have to be done to the bulkhead?

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.