• Welcome to our new sponsor Lecatona, a brand dedicated to enhancing performance for VAG group sports cars, including SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Škoda. Specializing in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) upgrades.

409 or 311 software with aftermarket lead?

tan159753

All ye using cheapo aftermarket leads from ebay.

Has anyone had 100% success using the 409 software or have you had to resort to 311 version?

If you are using the later version, which lead are you using? From a search in this forum, cables from alpha don't work too well with 409.

Whats your story?

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
Not being funny, but if you want to be sure that it'll work and with the latest versions then get a cable from Rosstech. Admittedly it's more expensive than getting a cheap knock off from ebay, but they'll give you support if you need it which a lot of the ebay sellers won't.

tan159753

I would if I could mate but only working part time at minimum wage due to a longterm health problem. Have to watch every penny.

Not everyone here wants to mod their car to make it faster, change the alarm bleeps from three to two bleeps when you lock it, close the windows with the key instead of by the button or whatever else you can do with VAG-COM. I just need to find out (and hopefully repair) why my abs and airbag lights are on and now recently the windows stopped working. Also my remote key isn't working but im not losing sleep over that.

So this is why I just need to read the fault codes and point me in the right direction.

Cupraloon

I've only just got my lead from Alpha-bid this morning, I've tried both the 409 & 311 software, and can't even get my poxy laptop to regonise the cable, via the com3 port, or infact any bloody port.

I've spent the best part of 4 hours downloading installing and ar**ing about only get nowhere, ever time I plug the cable in and go to install the USB drivers i keep getting asked for a CD FTDI which obviously i don't have, it just will not accept the drivers I've installed.

As i don't have interent access on my lappy, it makes it twice as hard as it needs to be, right now I'm fumming, and my lap top has nearly had a head on with a wall.[:@][:@]

My advise don't bother take it somewhere to get it down, it'll save a lot of grey hairs and loosing your rag and swearing a lot...[:@][:@]

Last edited by a moderator:

Cupraloon

Cheers for that Dude, :D :D much appreciated

I'll give them a try, just a soon as i've repaired my poxy laptop now the HDD has thrown a hissy fit and packed up :confused: well it is 10 years old didn't like XP i guess.

My problem is i have to link my lappy and PC to move stuff accross, as the lasppy hasn't got an internet connection, but in the process of getting a bigger HDD hopefully so next eweek it's start all over again....

Out of interest which one did you use the top or the alternate XP driver

Cupraloon

i still cant seem to get mine to work with the 409 version

I couldn't get it to work properly either, personally i'd uninstall 409 and install 311.2 which is the version i'm now using, with my Alpha-bid USB cable.

You will also need Windows XP home should do it, cos i couldn't get win2000 pro to accept the FTDI USB drivers. from here http://www.autonostics.com/pages.php?pageid=3

To summerize what i found to work

Windows XP (home)
Alpha-bid USB cable (£3.99) + P&P
Ross-tech 311.2 software version (free)
FTDI USB drivers listed above (free) top one not the alternate driver.
you'll more than likely need to go into device manager and change the com3 port settings BAWD rate from 9600 to 4800. cos I couldn't get it work at 9600

You'll also need to buy a license from Ross-Tech at $99 (£50) to get any access to your car, cos the free software won't allow you to change any settings..

I must admitt it was a right pain in the butt, trying to get it all working properly, but now i have.... was it all worth it... probably cos it allows "you" to do it and not have to pay someone else, but once you have done what you want, it's done isn't it.......:confused:

And my local SEAT garage quoted £40 & F1 in Brighton quoted £30, all in all it all cost me £62, if you don't add the time and replacing broken bits on my laptop... [:@] which cost me a further £60 odd squids...

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.