Rev Counter - Which one?

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
Got my rev counter today and it looks good!! Even tho it aint wired up yet.

Looks pretty easy to wire up:

One of the Red wires goes to the 12v ignition wire, but i dont know where the other one goes :cry: :confused:
Black wire goes to ground/earth
Green wire goes to the ignition coil (I think :confused: ill get a picture up to double check.)
Orange wire goes to the headlights (I think again :confused: will get a picture up again.)

I think thats the way it is... because i think the bottom diagram is the circuit diagram.

Last edited:

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Right here is step 7:

RevCounterInstructions2.jpg

Wire A is Green
Wire B is Black
Wire C is Red.

Im guessing the orange wire gets connected to the headlights- is that right?
One of the red wires gets connected to the 12v ignition wire and one black to the ground/earth.

Obviously wire a is conneted to is the ignition coil - Is that right??
Where does the other black and red wire go??

Why is there 2 red wires and 2 black

Can anyone explain this step in the instuctions better to me?? Its just wires A,B and C really.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
got a pic of the back of it ?

how many wires are there ?

i'd say it looks like you have a second lighting circuit as its black when off but need to see it

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
got a pic of the back of it ?

how many wires are there ?

i'd say it looks like you have a second lighting circuit as its black when off but need to see it

There are 2 red wires, 2 black wires, an orange and a green wire.

Im guessing the green goes to the ignition coil, im guessing thats the curved object in the top right of the instructions. its really just the orange and the other black and red wire im confused about.

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Rev Counter Wires.

Sorry about the photo quality.

Here is a picture of the back of the rev counter ive bought:

Image000.jpg

The black, red and orange wires at the bottom are thicker than the top red, green and black ones.

So flopper you may be able to help me.

I dont think the bottom 3 wires will be long enough (if im right what they r used for!?)

Help Please!! :help:

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
green appears to be coil connection (NB - negative side)

orange is illumination (+ve side when lights are turned on) on back of headlamp switch theres a blue/gray from memory but you'll need to check it

both black appear to be earths

both red are power supplies battery permanent and ignition fed - looking at your diagram i'd say the thicker one is to the battery or another permanent live

use power sources in the fuse box (add your own fuses) that are close to each other and you can swap them over if you find it stays on after ignition off or anything silly

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
I dont think the thicker wires are going to be long enough :confused:

Take the orange to the sidelights or main headlights?

Which side of the coil connection is the - ve?? Is this the ignition coil box in the engine bay at the back??

So take the thick red wire to the fuse box and add a fuse. Which amperage of fuses will i use??

Where will i take the thick black wire??

The thin red wire will go to the 12v ignition wire.

What if the wires arent long enough??

When connecting to the wires, will i strip some insulation of the wire i need to connect it to back so i can see the wire them solder them together or what??

Can you tell im new to this?!

Last edited:

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
wires can be extended so dont panic

orange to the back of the headlight switch (blue/grey?) i'll need to verify that on mine

coil negative is pin 3 on the connector i think its black from memory

thick red to the fuse box for a permanent live (10a)

thick black to a good solid clean earth

thin red to an ignition live that is on with key and stays on when running

extend em

solder AND heatshrink is best and a multimeter to check before you go cutting anything

appreciate your new :) if you are asking about length of wires it might be worth getting local help just in case ;)

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
So flopper would you recommend getting a local auto electrician to fit it for me and to do all the wiring??

Or just do it myself??

Coil negative will be in/at the silver ignition coil box, but which side of it?

which one did you get?

I am sure my light one is wired in with the power one so they are always on. But the mine are the smoked ones and need to be on to be seen. There on a switch so I turn them off when not in use.

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
So flopper would you recommend getting a local auto electrician to fit it for me and to do all the wiring??

don't take it the wrong way as we all start somewhere but from you asking about the length of the wires it would be adviseable - you'll need some knowledge and tools to make sure you are on the right wires

saying that surculation might be able to guide you better his gauges look similar

without being there with a multimeter i wouldn't want you melting anything :)

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
Still trying to find out how mine are wired as my mate did it for me whilst I sat on my phone and drank coffee :redface:

:p you sound like one of my mates :p

especially the one that just turned up out the blue @ 9pm wanting a new door fitted to a landrover discovery - IN THE RAIN:censored:

still job done and means my patio gets finished sat am while i sit and watch drinking coffee :lol:

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
which one did you get?

I am sure my light one is wired in with the power one so they are always on. But the mine are the smoked ones and need to be on to be seen. There on a switch so I turn them off when not in use.

I got the Raid Nightflight one. It is smoked and you can slightly see whts under it but it doesnt come completely visible until you have it wired up and everything is on.

Think i will just go to a local auto electrician to save all the hassle and at least that way there is no risk of me blowing anything up or melting anything.

Should it take long for an auto-electrician to wire up??

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.