Reason enough not to buy a Cupra

TeMpTeD

Hi,

I'm still registered here from when I wanted an Ibiza Cupra...

Now I've had a performance petrol car (Civic Vti) and I'd like to gracefully ease into diesel ownership without giving up on too much performance and style whilst obviously reaping the benefits of efficiency!

Enter Leon Cupra TDi 150. I've looked at three now and the first two were rhubarb body wise and so didn't pass the test. The third which I looked at last night was really mint condition (54 plate, 52k, £10k) apart from the abundance of stone chips on the bonnet, bumper and front quarter of the wings. At the time I was close to purchasing, but a mechanic friend advised me against it over the phone when I told him about the bonnet situation - I think he assumed that because Seat is a part of VW that the paint would be as good...

I then came straight onto here when I got home to find an absolute trailer full of threads with people complaining of the exact same thing.

So I guess this is a silly question to ask here - but if you knew about it before hand and the situation was bad to start with would you still buy one? The engine and looks are what I like about this car most and I'm not sure where else I will find it as the Fabia vRS looks fairly mundane and the Golf is boring and everyone has one whereas the A3 seems too expensive for similar miles.

Any opinions welcome.

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
notoriously thin paint
its just something you live with mate

actually having one of these cars outweighs it i find

lard44

Watching C beams...
Apr 30, 2007
Braintree, Essex
Yup the paint is a weakspot, particularly on some of the last old shape Leons - I think Seat practically admitted as much.

It really is something you have to live with, or fork out for resprays. A decent car care regime will certainly help protect to some extent, although there's no obvious quick fix.

Could always use it as a bargaining tool?

lard44

Watching C beams...
Apr 30, 2007
Braintree, Essex
Oh and I personally think that the Skoda have really dropped the ball with the new shape Fabia - wouldn't touch one with yours.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Like Rik stated, the car itself far out weighs the few stone chips you will get. Get a good detail done it, good layer of wax and you will find the paint stays in good condition.

Feb 8, 2004
uk
Visit site
A few stone chips are nothing compared to the car if you ask me. Get one, detail it or at the very least polish with body coloured polish then polish with a decent cunuba (SP) wax a couple of times and you'll be fine.

TeMpTeD

Thanks for all your responses. I've put a deposit on a different one and will get that back if, when I go to see it, the condition is bad etc. If I can look beyond the crap paint before I have one, I really think I won't care once I own one!

not considered a mk5 Golf 2.0 Gt Tdi, cracking cars and really pip the the leon mk1. 50k examples can be had for 10-11k.

I did indeed look at the new shape golf and it did make me think. I could only find 130bhp examples and the price was ok. BUT, the same problem with the Mk IV - looks just like any other golf!

At least the Cupra has some balls! [:@]

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise