ECU Compatibility

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
Hi everyone.

After my ecu decided to take a good bath, it started playin quite a bit. Now I've blown it with air and it's dry and everything seem to be working ok. Problem is that I've seen the circuits are all oxidized and some components are rusted. Before rust will eat everything up I'll need to change the ecu.

Ecu part # is 038 906 018 FB and if I got it right it's just for the beeza. Golf's and A3's with same engine code [ASV] seem to have different ecu's [the last two letters are different]. Does anyone know if I can use some different ecu from same engine code provided that I change the chip and the immo chip with mine? [mine is mapped so I'd like to retain the extra power].

Golfs are much more common than beezas in the scrapyards.

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
basically the car started playin up.

after losing our head with the mechanic to see what was wrong we opened up the ecu just to find out it was dripping with water,,, :(

superleon1

That's funny - had a very similar experience myself with my Leon...had it remapped by a cowboy who opened my ECU and welded a chip in - wasn't even a very good remap...anyway, got it removed by him, got my money back, but all the seals were proper fooked....got it remapped by a proper bloke via the OBD port, but it was buggered after the first bloke...went into a car wash and the car wouldn't start for 3 weeks...new ECU...1700 euro....fitted etc....the remap settings were obviously lost following the fitting of the new ECU....

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
Confusing the Tiber for the Via Del Corso, Carlo? ;)

In all seriousness, not funny - hope you get it sorted.

:lol: I can't even drive via del corso! it's forbidden to normal traffic!!

Indeed the ecu was opened cos you can't map via obd this cars. But it was 7 years ago!! I guess the drain hole of the area under the windscreen got blocked and the whole area got full of water. :confused:

Anyway, what I'd like to know is: what's the difference between the ecu's with part # 038 906 018 **? If it's just software differences or there's hardware ones as well? cos if it's just software I can buy a golf ecu at the scraps and change the chip,,, might need to ask to the chipping gurus here,,,

bellautos

You should be able to fit

038 906 018FB 0281010006
038 906 018J 0281001613
038 906 018BP 0281001848
038 906 018FQ 0281001172
038 906 018D 0281001611

These however WILL need your 2xplcc 32 chips and your EEprom chip for immo CHANGING from your old unit into the new one.

I know 2 of the ecus in the list are for 90bhp cars but in reality there are not many differences between them all baring software coding and immp chip type data.

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
Thx very much. This was exactly the info I needed.

I take it you swapped those with good results,,,

Do you know what cars I have to look for to find one of those ecus? all those with a 110?

Plus do you think I'll need to recode components like the radio, instruments etc. or if I put in my chip it'll be ok?

sorry for all the questions and thx again.

bellautos

yes ive tested those .

all 110bhp and 90bhp cars with 2x plcc engine chips inside should work no probs.

you will have nothing to recode if you swat the 3 total chips from your old ecu.

regards pete

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.