turbo rest period?

cupraRgstar

May 15, 2007
Edinburgh
does the standard cupra R turbo come with a turbo timer?
if not how long should you let the car sit after being out in it?
if you dont do this what damage can it do?

StanTheMan

The standard car is designed to be driven normally from start to finish, under all conditions.

Mar 10, 2005
Walton on Thames
no turbo timer

leave to cool for a couple of mins/drive without boost for last part of journey

can damage turbo i beleive...ie cracks in housing...i'm sure it helps avoid other damage but I don't know what!

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
most people live in built up areas (ie 20/30/40 zones) so the half mile or mile home off the mway/carriageway is as good as a cool down period.

carlisle pete

Mar 25, 2006
i live out in the middle of no where. but as soon as i get to my village i dont hit boost ans usually leave it for a minute or 2 depending on how long and hard iv been driving it just be safe (better to be safe than sorry kinda thing) and from cold start up dont hit boost til upto runnin temp well try not to!

JimyFloyd

Sep 13, 2004
i thought the pump keeps circulating the water for around 5 mins after you have switched off - and this is kinda like a turbo timer?

andycupra

status subject to change
i thought the pump keeps circulating the water for around 5 mins after you have switched off - and this is kinda like a turbo timer?

while this may help it cool a bit quicker and extend the turbo life, the usual issue with turbos is cooked oil.

drive last bit of journey easily. then job done.

if not 3 mins is talked off alot.

as for turbo timers, no they dont have them.

id not be tempted to fit a timer, issues with insurance and also prevents you leaving car in gear, (search for handbrake issues...).
your choice, take last few mins/miles easy and take 20 secs longer to get there. or sit there for 3 mins cooling the turbo as the people you overtook on the way get out their cars and get their beat you to your destination!

carlisle pete

Mar 25, 2006
thought so and i dont no poo about mechanics! as said above i usually take last couple of miles easy and let it chill for a min onthe drive while i get all my stuff out anyway!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise