Goodyear Eagle GSD3 F1's......

AshCupra300

Sep 16, 2006
Newport, South Wales
Christ these don't last long, had a set fitted to the front when I got my car (6750 miles ish) and they are almost down to the wear indicators and I have only done 12,250 :blink:

So they have lasted around 5500 miles!

That is bad return for grip, I don't drive my car that hard either, the odd fast take off when pulling out into traffic etc.

Gonna need to replace them now and the back Bridgestone Potenza's need changing soon as well so gonna do all 4 at the same time.

After good grip but not that much they only last 5500 miles LOL, anyone recommend a good alternative? Michelin, Bridgestones, Dunlop?

AshCupra300

Sep 16, 2006
Newport, South Wales
Gonna be between these two so far...

Toyo PROXES T1-R 225/45 ZR17 94Y they come out well on tyretest.com for grip and wear, mytyres has them for £79.40 a corner.

Or these which came on the car from the factory...

Bridgestone Potenza RE 040 225/45 R17 91W at £93.50 a corner

What are people's experience with the above makes please?

Bogwoppit

Aug 30, 2005
Lincs
Mr friend has the same car as you, now done 40k miles and he drives his very hard, he swears by Michelin Pilot Sports PS2's, might be expensive but they last him longer than the original Coninentals.

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Not on a Leon, but I've used Toyos before and they were very good. Got around 10k miles out of them in a 160bhp Focus, so I'd expect your TDi to give them a harder life. Excellent tyre though, very good grip and pretty good wet weather performance, although not quite as good as the GSD3.

ManOnTheMoor

Apr 22, 2007
Had my TDi 150 from new.

Original Pirelli p6000 lasted around 7000 miles on the front (tyre garage said should last longer) - these were worn on the insides.

Changed to Bridgestone Potenza and these have lasted only 4000 miles - worn more on the outer edges with about 1 milimeter to go to the wear lines, guess tracking over adjusted.

Bridgestones have been good grip wise, they kept me in line the other day when the back end stepped out, but i expect more than 4k from them

Looking at Pirreli asymetrical or michelin pilot sports. Not tried michelin before tho....

Was looking at engine tune (revo or the like), but if my tyres are going to be shreaded.....

2slim

Bought the car new with P6000's, had more than my fair share of punctures - 6/7 in 4 yrs, seem to pick up alot of stones etc always in the rears :confused:, so I too looked on www.mytyres.com & www.tyretest.com, finally decided on Toyo Proxes T1-R's :D:D:D they've been on for over a year and still excellent grip, wear, low noise and no punctures:lol:

ManOnTheMoor

Apr 22, 2007
Got them from Lodge Tyres, Stoke-on-Trent Depot.

Company I used to work for used Lodge all the time so know they not fly by night.....had tyres from them before.

Come to think about it, they are on offer at the time......:confused:

Never tried the Toyo before, will have to have a read...have been a pirelli user in the past.

At the Seat garage I looked at the high performance models. They had a mixture of tyres as standard fitment - Bridgestone, Pirelli and Michelin.

chriz1

Dec 13, 2005
Falken fk's,better grip than leading names and more mileage to the best thing they are around £70 each!

dsrr

Oct 23, 2004
errm...on my 3rd set of F1's over 2 cars ( Octy Vrs) and have never had less than 18K out of them, and my last car was re-mapped ...... if you don't drive hard you are either doing somthing wrong or have geometry issues ( the first thing I do with a new car it get a 4 wheel alignment check done my 1st octy was way out at 16 miles!!!)

ManOnTheMoor

Apr 22, 2007
Geometry is fine, the only thing i am doing wrong is having fun on my daily country lane commute to work and back. Never had a pair of front tyres last more than a year (est 10k miles) but expect better than 4K thats for sure. Will compare Michelin and Toyos, i think

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
My front F1's lasted 12K. I changed the rears at the same time but they probably had another 4K left.

dj_hektik

LEON 20VT FR
just put Dunlop SP Sport 9000 tyres on my car - increased the width from 225 to 235, apart from that the rest is the same, 235/45/17

excellent excellent tyre. Cost me £60 per corner installed, but they would probably be more expensive in UK

my original Michelin tyres lasted 55,000 kilometers, but the tarmac here is very smooth, and dry hot weather most of the time.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
just put Dunlop SP Sport 9000 tyres on my car - increased the width from 225 to 235, apart from that the rest is the same, 235/45/17

excellent excellent tyre. Cost me £60 per corner installed, but they would probably be more expensive in UK

my original Michelin tyres lasted 55,000 kilometers, but the tarmac here is very smooth, and dry hot weather most of the time.
£60 quid!?!?!! from where?

hehehe! There about £80-100 here...

stewbie55

No longer a Newbie
Aug 12, 2006
Just noticed the Goodyear F1's I had fitted to my LC on Saturday (17in)say "made in China" on them.

Was looking at Aidy's LCR today (and I'm gonna buy it:D) and noticed his F1's (18n) said "Made in Germany".

So are the Chinese ones lower quality/ higher wear rate? Seems strange to make the same tyre type in two different places, or are the German ones older stock or something?:confused:

nibbles

And Impreza
Just noticed the Goodyear F1's I had fitted to my LC on Saturday (17in)say "made in China" on them.

Was looking at Aidy's LCR today (and I'm gonna buy it:D) and noticed his F1's (18n) said "Made in Germany".

So are the Chinese ones lower quality/ higher wear rate? Seems strange to make the same tyre type in two different places, or are the German ones older stock or something?:confused:

as long as they have E13 followed by a 7 digit no they are ok

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.