F1's or stick with PZERO?

777cupra

Jan 12, 2007
Buckinghamshire
I've had my F1 GSD3's on the car about a fortnight now, and the grip and handleing I have got is far far better than any tyre I have had before! will def get them again!

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
Please be wary of recommendations from local Tyre places, I'm sure some are excellent but I know for a fact that a local chain of about 5 tyre centres used to push Continental Tyres.....why that brand? well they would say they were a great tyre :blahblah: and they probably weren't bad...........but the real reason? that's where the biggest margins were and a Freebie trip to Antigua for the MD all expenses paid .

I was told that by the MD after he sold his chain to a national tyre group.

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Most smaller chains have their favourite brands. They are a business after all and they will sell you whatever makes them the most money, whilst still making sure you're happy and will come back in the future.

mcmaddy

Aug 28, 2005
I have no preference for Continental its just they are now 18k and have had no problems with them. Think they are a great tyre and give good balance on wear and grip. Found the GSD 3's to have soft tyre walls but they were really grippy especially in the wet. Suppose at the end of the day its what youve been used to and what the indivdual likes. Anyone used Continental Contisport 3's or the Dunlop sport max?

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
I have no preference for Continental its just they are now 18k and have had no problems with them. Think they are a great tyre and give good balance on wear and grip. Found the GSD 3's to have soft tyre walls but they were really grippy especially in the wet. Suppose at the end of the day its what youve been used to and what the indivdual likes. Anyone used Continental Contisport 3's or the Dunlop sport max?

I know Feel on these forums (amongst others) highly rates the Dunlops

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Dunlop Sport Maxx...never heard a bad word. In fact they are comparible to F1's in the dry and better in the wet so an good all rounder.

Alba77

Do the F1's have better life span than p6000. Im going through tyres like no tomorrow! I never wheel spin, dont drive like a tube, except for the occassional blast put nowt serious, and im getting about 12,000 miles at the very most till they need replacing!!:shrug:

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
P6000 or P6000 Powergy? There is a bit of a difference.

I think perhaps switch to a hard wearing tyre if you're not in the game for full-bore launches or getting your arse out in the corner.

If you want miles, first and perhaps fun/performance second.. try something a little more hardwearing like the RE040 Potenzas or similar.

Chris 16v

Nov 10, 2005
I would go for F1's, ive had mine for 3 weeks now and they offer fantastic levels of grip.

I had Avon zz3's before that, managed to get 20k miles (in 6 months) from them of HARD driving, however the grip levels were utter crap. I now have them on the back and F1's on the front and i need to replace the back ones asap put it that way lol (Drift car stylee at the mo lol)

F1's seem great, i have currently done a 1000 miles on them with no wear really and thats with the TC off lol

mcmaddy

Aug 28, 2005
I find the tyretest website to be a bit hopeless. You seem to get the same people commenting on loads of different brands. Best way is word of mouth on websites like here.

Alba77

P6000 or P6000 Powergy? There is a bit of a difference.

I think perhaps switch to a hard wearing tyre if you're not in the game for full-bore launches or getting your arse out in the corner.

If you want miles, first and perhaps fun/performance second.. try something a little more hardwearing like the RE040 Potenzas or similar.

Its the p6000 I got on mine.. Dont get me wrong, I love the grip going over country roads / round abouts etc. Found the p6000 been letting me down couple of times now. Just fitted new set all round so will see how these last..

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
I find the tyretest website to be a bit hopeless. You seem to get the same people commenting on loads of different brands. Best way is word of mouth on websites like here.

I'd agree with that. Plus, a tyre that works well on one car might not have the same affect on another.

For instance, on my Celica I had Yokohama Parada Spec-2's and they were perfect for that car and my driving. But I wouldn't dare put them onto the LCR as they would need replacing within a few months.

The best way to gauge opinion is by seeking advice from people with the same car.

Weight, power, handling characteristics and a host of other things all affect the tyre choice.

Empi5

Your scaring me.......
Feb 24, 2005
Staffordshire
Just ordered a pair of GS-D3s from MyTyres - will report back when fitted :)

They are doing good business from us today, Ive also ordered 2 tyres. going to use their recommended fitting centres, so all is good. Price : £ 97.70 , fitting, £10 per tyre.

Empi5

Your scaring me.......
Feb 24, 2005
Staffordshire
Hmmm, interesting comments from Mytyres at the very end of the thread !

As a result Ive just emailed Mytyres for assurances:

Good afternoon.

I have just completed an order for 2 x Goodyear F1 Tyres, and since my purchase I have been directed to numerous websites, all discussing, whether or not certain Goodyear F1 tyres are legal to be used in this country and are correctly E marked.

Please could you provide assurances that the tyres that you will be sending, will be legal and correctly E marked.

Kind Regards.

Will let you know the outcome.

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members