F1's or stick with PZERO?

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
We're looking at the same problem from different angles, I think RobM. Neither of us are minted enough to risk wasting £££ on tyres that don't give as much life as we'd expect... which is why I took the pro opinion of a bunch of tyre fitting fellas as my local garage (I stole their advice and ran off somewhere cheaper.. tehehe). F1's.. good tyres, but not a complete package.

Anyway, back to the thread origin. Pirelli < Goodyear in this application.. for sure.

I was a stalwart Pirelli fan until recently. Happily shodding my tyres in Pirelli's P6000 Powergy.. a versatile mid-range mile crunching set of rubbers.. but nowt compared to my RE050a Potenza's.

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Out of interest, what did they say about the F1's that made them out to not be a 'complete package'?

neilmac

Just starting to tweak...
Jul 12, 2006
Ok...Im thinking F1's are worth a go...first new tyres on the LCR so got to start somewhere.

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
Tyre wear and the fact that at 3mm and less, the tyres "useless". From this point on, you need a new set. No sneakily squeezing a few more miles out of them prior to impending MOT or until next pay-day :S

And I took that with a pinch of salt until I was given a rough gauge on prices and saw they charged £6 more for the F1 than they did the Bridgestones. Not what I was expecting.

So I hit google and saw the same general feeling on one or two other forums. No personal experience to draw from, but then I come back to your point.. at £100ish a tyre.. can I afford to do my own tyre experiments!?!?

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Tyre wear and the fact that at 3mm and less, the tyres "useless". From this point on, you need a new set. No sneakily squeezing a few more miles out of them prior to impending MOT or until next pay-day :S

And I took that with a pinch of salt until I was given a rough gauge on prices and saw they charged £6 more for the F1 than they did the Bridgestones. Not what I was expecting.

So I hit google and saw the same general feeling on one or two other forums. No personal experience to draw from, but then I come back to your point.. at £100ish a tyre.. can I afford to do my own tyre experiments!?!?

That makes interesting reading actually. It's the first time I've heard of the F1's being useless at anything less than 3mm, so that's a little concerning. But I do agree entirely, if you're not 100% confident in the tyre then it's an expensive risk to take.

But for me, personally, the experience I've had with them and the glowing reports from people on this forum - especially those who have been through a couple of sets - means a lot.

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
Ceraintly does :)

I was ready to just take the F1's on face-value, but decided to go for something different upon recommendation.

So far so good.

lazyboy22

I personally would go for the f1's , i have used them on 3 different cars and been well impressed.

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
Maybe :S I mean, i'm running 17s.. but I've not used the F1's myself. I found a chunky thread on a Ford RS/ST fansite about tyre wear and a poll leaving F1's in 3rd place, when rating tyre wear. 77 votes on the sucker, so it wasn't a disgruntled few actively seeking to tar Goodyears image.

But there ya go. In Leon terms, perhaps the R does have a less harsh manner of treating this set of tyres?? Who knows :S

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
To be honest, if wear is the number one priority then I wouldn't be looking at F1's or any of the other similar brands. But I think the F1 are hard to beat if you want the best combination of wet and dry handling and longevity.

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
Yup, don't think I'm taking anything about performance away from the F1's.. but your question to me was regarding "the complete package". Was just reinforcing my sparse comment earlier.

I'll let ya know how my RE050a 91Y's do long-term... would be nice to think they hold out longer than the F1s. Sitting here talking about the negative aspects to the F1.. for all I know, the advice on my Potenzas might be hideously incorrect... they could rot like apples once the roads warm up!!!!

Last edited:

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
Maybe :S I mean, i'm running 17s.. but I've not used the F1's myself. I found a chunky thread on a Ford RS/ST fansite about tyre wear and a poll leaving F1's in 3rd place, when rating tyre wear. 77 votes on the sucker, so it wasn't a disgruntled few actively seeking to tar Goodyears image.

But there ya go. In Leon terms, perhaps the R does have a less harsh manner of treating this set of tyres?? Who knows :S

I don;t think comparing the LCR to a car running a trick Quaife ATB is fair.......just ask someone running a Quaife ATB in a remapped LCR how the tyre wear is? and they will tell you the car shreads tyres for fun

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
Oh man.. people are determined to undermine my *opinion* here... not all of the people who've tried the F1's had the Focus RS.. plenty have big old cruisers like the ST220.

Aside from that, my friend is slowly murdering his second set of 4 on his S1 RS Turbo pushing 290BHP. He's used F1's on a set of 17 inch Wolfrace Icon's since he was running a mere 150 BHP. He swears by their grip and to him, it's a weekend toy. It doesn't come out in cold weather or rainy days.. so the tyres last him a year... unfortunately a year of driving in this white rocket is perhaps 5k miles.

I'm coming away from this now.. constantly backing up my opinions (which if we're honest are worth as much, or as little, as anyone elses.. if I were pro-F1 no one would even bat an eyelid).

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2007
I'm gonna get F1's when the P-Zeros on mine wear down. More recently I've had F1's, proxy T1-Rs, yoko 509s, Michy Pilot exalto, pilot HX/SX and Michy primacy.

The pilot HX/SX were excellent tyres, the exalto's had excellent wet grip too, but suffered an ickle bit in the dry. But, when you think about it, when would you value your tyres have the grip? For me, it would be very unlikely I'd drive the car fast enough in the dry to lose it, but as we all know, it's a million times easier in the wet!

The yoko's were deadly in the wet (read: ****) and not even that hot in the dry. The toyo's were also very good, probably just behind that of the F1.

You guys on here though. 6k to a set of tyres. JESUS!
I was speaking to a mate a few months back. He'd just changed his tyres. He'd got 50k out of 1 set. They were the original tyres fitted to the car (1.2 Punto).

I told him, I'm not sure whether you should be proud or indeed ashamed that you managed to get 50k out of a set of tyres... :)

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
Oh man.. people are determined to undermine my *opinion* here... not all of the people who've tried the F1's had the Focus RS.. plenty have big old cruisers like the ST220.

My comments are based on Me, My old car (the exact one in question), My Money and My actual experience with the products listed.................... if that undermines you and what you have been told/seen/recommended and read then so be it.

mcmaddy

Aug 28, 2005
I had GSD 3's on my golf and thought they were grippy but soft. Also kept getting stones caught in the tread and when then they worked themselves out they invariably landed in the brakes. Ive got nearly 18k out of the original Continentals and will probably replace them with some Continentals. Seem to get a good balance bewtween grip and wear with them. Ive only got a standard FR Tdi and dont really rag it very much so tyres have lasted me.

Al_G

Jan 12, 2006
Manchester
My local tyre shop swears by Michy Pilot Exalto's! Yes they are £30 more per corner but I've been told that they are streets ahead of the F1's in terms of performance and durablity!

Wounder how true this is!!!???

Anyone had any experience of Michy Pilot Exalto's??

I can get F1's for £105 each (fitted) and Michy Pilot Exalto's for £135 each (fitted)...

If anyone lives in the Chester area and wants to know the name of the garage then feel free to shout out!

RooDBwoY

i had F1 GSD3s all round on my old GTi-6 and they were awesome :)

so so grippy! especially in the wet...

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise