redline on a 1.4 apq mk2

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
anyone know what the redline limit on a 1.4 is

i have always been careful not to rag my car to death when driving, but one junction i use on the way home aint very good so sometimes i have to really give it some gas

anyway i went to 5.5krpm which is the highest i have taken the engine myself as its done 82.5k miles, and it made me think what the redline point was

mainly cause the top speed of a 1.4 is supposed to be 96mph, but i get 90 at about 4.5k rpm which makes me think it would easily do a ton

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
Hit over a ton in my old mk2 1.4 on the day i picked it up. (private road/track, obviously) clock read out at a shade over 105... took both hands very nimbley off the steering to see if there was any wobble (none, thankfully, and that was with a broken pedal box ,too ) but it would give a ton if you changed through the gearing properly quite easily... mine used to 'die off' anywhere above about 5.5k revs big style...

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
with errors on indicated speed would probably show 100+ but more likely be about 96/98 wouldnt it ?

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
possibly so.. but my 'oppo in the van that took me down to pick up the car, was registering a ton and I was chugging along gaining slightly on him.. so I can only 'go' by that evidence..... :)

Dec 17, 2006
Bristol
not that I know of, other than using a GPS to measure your speed accurately.

also the mileage will be out by the same % as your speed reading.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.