Cordoba gti 8valve running lumpy and missing??

Sumaspikey

Hi guys!

I've just purchased a cordoba gti on a p-plate and am having a few issues. It seems to be miss firing on idle and i'm getting big flat spots when accelerating. It appears to be worse after its been idling for a while and the fuel consumption is averaging at around 25mpg around town. Any ideas on what this could be? Ive had a quick sqeeze of the breather pipes to feel for blockages and they appear to be clean. I will be removing them for a good clean at the weekend but im not convinced thats the reason. The plugs,leads,cap and rotor arm all appear to be new so i suspect the previous owner had problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ta

Sumaspikey

Thanks for the quick replies guys. For starters then I think I need to borrow a timing light from someone. Once thats checked i'll clean the t/b out. I have been doin some searches both here and clubgti but there seem to be a lot of problems with the engine stalling. Mine doesn't stall, it just runs kind of flat. Is it possible to get the timing belt a tooth out on these engines as it was replaced last year? Should the marks line up exactly on the cam pully when at tdc? Seems a silly question i know but need to be sure. :confused:

Oh and, ive just seen how much a crank sensor would set me back!! I sure hope its not that!

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
as you look from the front its at the bottom right of the front face of the block to the lower right of the oil filter housing

under/next to the engine mounting and is a********** to do

been a long time since i did mine but from memory this might help

photo0173tx8.jpg

at the front of the engine there is 3 rectangular wiring connectors on a plate with a large round one - 2 go to knock sensors on the face the other is to the sensor lower down

Last edited:

Sumaspikey

Excellent mate, cheers!! I'll give all that a go tomorrow afternoon. Just about to bid on a coil on ebay. Might aswell change that too seeing as its so easy. Fingers crossed i'll get to the bottom of this.

Cheers! ;)

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
before you rip your car apart :)

does it do it ALL the time wether the engine is hot/cold ? as there are loads of other little possible faults

coil/cap/rotor/leads/plugs/sensors/air leaks etc

oooh and check the wiring to the throttle body switch (heats from manifold cracks em up) and the brake servo hose (both ends)

Sumaspikey

well, it appears to be quite intermittent. I drove to the local shop this evening. It was fine on the way there, but i sat outside the shop for a while with the engine running. It got increasingly lumpy and then was lacking power on the way home. But then again, leaving work earlier (starting from cold), is was also quite bad. I will be checking for splits,blockages etc too. As i said, the plugs,leads and cap all appear to be new so im going to rule that out for now.

Sumaspikey

Well, i've adjusted the ignition timing and the poor thing still ain't running right. Idle seems a little erratic. Sometimes it will be fine and then it will suddenly drop slightly and start 'hunting' if you know what i mean. Could it be the idle control valve? Ive got a coil on the way but i doubt its that. Any other ideas? The cap,rotor arm, leads and plugs are all ok and there are no leaks (i removed each one and checked it). Is it possible the throttle position sensor could be at fault? Any help getting to the bottom of this would be much appreciated.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise