A thought for this forum section...

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Since there are always loads of posts saying 'what wheels' or 'what's a fabia wiper' or any number of repeated questions that always crop up, I thought it could prove useful if everybody posted a few pictures of their Leon and, if the mods approve, we sticky it in this forum?

If we can keep it a strictly non-chat thread - i.e. just posts of your car and details and no 'what wheels are those' type questions - then anybody who comes to this forum for inspiration for their next mod could check out that thread.

If everybody posts a front, side and rear shot of their car and gives a run down of their mods it would be really easy to work out what looks good on what coloured Leons and what type of Leon. It would also do away with the need for photo request threads.

What do people think? Good idea or waste of time?

Rob

BMH 25

Mar 13, 2007
Midlands
yeeeah i like that Rob very good idea plus it would save the admins some time deleting unessecery posts.

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
good idea
probably better to pick a few LC's and LCR that have had the majority of stuff done and are well on. That way we cover more modifications with fewer cars rather than everyone posting a picture of their s2000 aerial

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
guess we already have the FAQ and modifications sticky though

but i suppose a visual element will help more
maybe add on to existing sticky

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
If you wanted to produce something genuinely useful, might be an idea to produce an FAQ section, that you can all contribute to. Bit like the Ibiza Mk4 folks have done here - Clicky

And if you let us know by report post, then we can ditch or move any useless postings.

Perhaps if some are willing we might make one or two moderators of the section to help look after it. But i'll need to run this by the other Admins.

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
when i was on gt4oc we had like owners pages, where you got up to 6 pictures and a section to list the mods you'd done

not sure how feasable that is though, at the end of the day we pay no membership here and extra bandwidth and stuff costs money

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
I'm glad to see this has created debate instead of being shot down.. means I've not completely lost the plot... yet ;)

RikH - The thinking behind this wasn't just about what looks good on a LC... but what looks good on a blue LC, or a black LC, or a platinum LC. Take wheels for instance, the colour of the wheel might look great on one car but awful on the next. A big list of everybodys cars with their own mods on would help people find something that looks like their car.

Icecavern - It's hard enough trying to get people to look at the Info Base section before posting questions about how to do something, so I thought something forum based would be used more?

DPJ - It would be one post, so I can't see how it would be cluttering the forum? Especially if that one post helps stop 101 other un-necessary posts in the future.

gavinchappel - I like the idea of an info box with links to pictures, but then you would still get 'what colour should I spray my wheels' or other similar posts which each person would need to reply to saying 'click my info link' which defeats the point.

ZBOYD - I think the FAQ post would be a fantastic idea for this forum section! At least it would give people a single point of reference to look at with all the info they could need in. I'd be up for contributing to that if the option was there. But what are your thoughts on my original question?

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
I'm glad to see this has created debate instead of being shot down.. means I've not completely lost the plot... yet ;)

RikH - The thinking behind this wasn't just about what looks good on a LC... but what looks good on a blue LC, or a black LC, or a platinum LC. Take wheels for instance, the colour of the wheel might look great on one car but awful on the next. A big list of everybodys cars with their own mods on would help people find something that looks like their car.

Icecavern - It's hard enough trying to get people to look at the Info Base section before posting questions about how to do something, so I thought something forum based would be used more?

DPJ - It would be one post, so I can't see how it would be cluttering the forum? Especially if that one post helps stop 101 other un-necessary posts in the future.

gavinchappel - I like the idea of an info box with links to pictures, but then you would still get 'what colour should I spray my wheels' or other similar posts which each person would need to reply to saying 'click my info link' which defeats the point.

ZBOYD - I think the FAQ post would be a fantastic idea for this forum section! At least it would give people a single point of reference to look at with all the info they could need in. I'd be up for contributing to that if the option was there. But what are your thoughts on my original question?

Was i directly pointing that people cant make up their minds about what looks good on different coloured cars. People decide themselves what colour wheels to put on per say, but they will see which styles of wheel suit the car.
Correct me if im wrong
Overloading the forum with 10 pictures each would make this place difficult to use

this was a suggestion along the lines if you caught it

"when i was on gt4oc we had like owners pages, where you got up to 6 pictures and a section to list the mods you'd done"

anyway i give up

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Was i directly pointing that people cant make up their minds about what looks good on different coloured cars. People decide themselves what colour wheels to put on per say, but they will see which styles of wheel suit the car.
Correct me if im wrong
Overloading the forum with 10 pictures each would make this place difficult to use

this was a suggestion along the lines if you caught it

"when i was on gt4oc we had like owners pages, where you got up to 6 pictures and a section to list the mods you'd done"

anyway i give up

Calm down dear... no need to get shirty. I wasn't telling you what you said was wrong, I was explaining my point in response to your first post.

And no, you're not wrong, people do decide themselves what style of wheels, for instance, to put on their car. But as you just said yourself they will want to see what styles of wheel suit the car.... so why not give them the option to look at lots of different styles on lots of different cars?

As for your comment about overloading the forum... you wouldn't be. As I've said before, it would be one thread and one thread only. You don't have to look at it, you don't have to acknowledge it's existence, but if you wanted to look for inspiration on your next mod or get ideas about something, you would have one post with a great amount of pictures of Leons of all types, models, colours and states of tune.

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
ok
still think the owners page idea is the best option, not sure how it would work with logistics

i wont calm down rob.......its not a commercial, its an scn thread :) BLOOD PRESSURE BOILING
LOL

Last edited:

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
:lol:

I like the owners pages idea, I really do. The Celica-Club have something similar where members can upload their photos and a description of each. Not sure what the limit was, but it worked well and was presented in a nice gallery format.

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
just as i say i think that would mean extra bandwidth and that would cost money

gt4oc and celica club we're both annual fee places

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
i dont think many would object to pay a small annual fee for what they get out of here, but its up to Z and m0rk

and i know i know, its been discussed alot before so i dont want to open the can of superworms

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
i dont think many would object to pay a small annual fee for what they get out of here, but its up to Z and m0rk

and i know i know, its been discussed alot before so i dont want to open the can of superworms

dont even go there :doh:

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Aye not 'ever' going down the annual fee route I am afraid. For a start its too time conuming and complicated to start taking subs of people.

Then you fall into the trap that people who pay want something extra for their investment and more say, and more benefits. Its not what we want for SCN, or have we ever wanted.

There is enough business out there to secure a bit of sponsorship each year, it pays for itself comfortably enough. Were also not interested in lining our pockets, not that it earns enough to line mine anyway. ;)

I have always said and continue to sum it up like this. SEATCupra.net pay for itself to exist via good value sponsorship/advertising. Or it doesn't exist.

We might be slower to make changes to the forum than some other techy wizards that run their own forums. But we all have full time jobs, family commitments and other past times that get in the way of SCN unfortunately.

As and when we get time, we always try and make improvements and additions to the site and forum. However just because we don't instantly react to a suggestion by members, it doesn't mean we have not taken it on board.

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.