Can someone give this a going over?

danieltm

Bit of Jabba magic!
Aug 26, 2006
Norwich
Hi there everyone. I just fitted a new air intake and smoothed airbox and just wanted to show you guys to see if you think i have done it ok? It was not as easy as i thought it would be, Things never just fit with no problems for me. Anyway if someone can just take a look and if you can see ANYTHING you think looks wrong or something that could be a problem please let me know. Thanks a lot!

http://img404.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture028pb0.jpg

http://img404.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture027nl7.jpg

Last edited:

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
Im not convinced these cold air feeds make any difference, the airbox has to get its air from somewhere so adding a restricting pipe as opposed to having a whole engine bays worth of air available isnt going to help it any. On the move I dont think for a second its going improve things as the air rushing into the engine bay will be as cold as it can get.
People that talk about heatsoak etc are exaggerating a little, as soon as you begin to move the air intake temps begin to drop straight away again.

danieltm

Bit of Jabba magic!
Aug 26, 2006
Norwich
To be honest i dont expect anything to improve really, It was more just something for me to play around with, But i dont think anything is anymore restricted than it was in the first place? At standard from behind the grill it was all boxed in round the back of the head light and in to the intake hose, so really i havent made it any more restricted than it was before? But to be honest i dont have much idea about this kind of thing so anything anyone can say is a help.

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
Im running a ramair induction kit but have removed all plastic air bits and am not using a cold air intake, car is as responsive as ever. I suppose some people will notice things just to justify doing it. But I think you are the same as me, if it works without making it over complicated then fine!

MarkE

Acceptable in the 80s
Jul 20, 2003
Lancaster
www.markeaston.org
Had a RamAir on my revo'd LCR and logged airflow over 210g/s. This was with the inlet pipe of the RamAir connected to the standard plastic pipe in the wing but I doubt there was much more to be had by routing the piping differently.

Can't hurt, though.

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
When I did mine, I definitely saw an increase in g/sec, there's a thread somewhere with logs/graphs.

Personally, I believe it's more to do with the bigger air feed than smoothing. I would imagine that most people that fit air feeds to the back of the standard plastic pipe (the smallest bit!) don't tightly fasten/seal the air feed hose to the plastic bit, so the hose is still able to pull in more air than the stock plastic part can provide.

With my air feed connected to the DBM scoop (and the battery squished over a bit) I definitely felt an in improvement in the car's eagerness to get going at 40-60 mph "put your foot down and go"s.

Whether this is due to pressurised airbox, more air volume available or less restriction :shrug:

Last edited:

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
Oh, to answer the original question :doh: yes, looks fine although I would personally go for some kind of scoop at the front.

I'm interested to see, from the inside, how you connected the hose to the airbox?

danieltm

Bit of Jabba magic!
Aug 26, 2006
Norwich
I fabricated a scoop type thing which slots in behind the grill, I didnt want to just push in the intake hose to the grill with nothing to direct to air to the hose. Its like a square to round if you know what i mean? so its a box which i welded a piece of tube to then a jubilee clip to hold the intake pipe on. Same sort of thing from the airbox but had to make it more oval, its just a stainless tube welded to a flange and then screwed to the airbox. I should of taken some pics really but got a bit to involved with trying to fit it! Thanks everyone for the replys

the_prophet

Jul 28, 2006
sounds pretty similar to what i'm working on at the min, just busy tryin to source some decent scoops and decide how i'm join the pipe (CAI) to the air box. from what i read i think it'l definalty be more effecient than standard set up. whilst keeping some form of stock / oe set. nice work.

Koomorph

Oct 31, 2005
S London
Looks good - although with mine I made a template and cut my airbox in the corner to receive the 100mm ducting and ran it down the laft past the battery and to the lower grill - didn't have to relocate anything either and makes it neatly tucked away down the side. Covered it in gaffer tape and looks quite oem and neat. I'll try to get a pic up later....

Raf

danieltm

Bit of Jabba magic!
Aug 26, 2006
Norwich
I should have put the pipe at an angle coming from the airbox really coz its a bit tight but that was one of those things you realize when its too late. Im not 100% happy with what i done but guess it will have to do now. Would be good to see some pics of anyone elses efforts..

Koomorph

Oct 31, 2005
S London
The camera actually reflects off the gaffer tape more than normally - you'd hardly spot it was there unless you were looking for it.....

As mentioend, the 100mm ducting runs into the airbox by about 1/2 inch through a 100mm hole I made in the airbox :)

IMG_3364.jpg

IMG_3372.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2007
Behind Wilko
on an LCR a 100mm hose is just about impossible to get down past the headlight and left hand intercooler. i have just put an 80mm hose down which i had to make oval to get it down the gap. there will be some pics going on today hopefully, i have cut a hole above the foglight so it all looks oem.

danieltm

Bit of Jabba magic!
Aug 26, 2006
Norwich
The camera actually reflects off the gaffer tape more than normally - you'd hardly spot it was there unless you were looking for it.....

As mentioend, the 100mm ducting runs into the airbox by about 1/2 inch through a 100mm hole I made in the airbox :)

IMG_3364.jpg

IMG_3372.jpg

looks good mate. Nice clean bay as well!!

danieltm

Bit of Jabba magic!
Aug 26, 2006
Norwich
Im not sure about running the intake down near the fog light? would you have more chance sucking in water from puddles? With mine i wanted to try and keep everything where it was at standard. look forward to your pics probee.

danieltm

Bit of Jabba magic!
Aug 26, 2006
Norwich
well i have the green panel filter too and so far the smoothed box and intake pipe dont really seem to have made what i would call a noticeable difference, But some people on here say it has? It was just something cheap and easy to play around.

My modified airbox!... (56k warning!) NOW with log results!...

Do a search on air box mod and look for this one. Its all a bit to tec for me, dont really understand what it all mean.

Feb 27, 2007
Behind Wilko
i have run many cars with feeds lower than the LCR foglight and had no trouble.. you dont have to worry about rain and things like that, you would only get problems if you drove through a very deep puddle (say one and a half feet) and then you should know better.

Last edited:

Koomorph

Oct 31, 2005
S London
Yeh, I'm not worried about sucking up water - unless I'm gonna go very slowly through a small ford.... ;)

Main reason for doing this is that I've got an IHI in my garage waiting to go on, and I didn't want to go down the route of an induction kit etc... Have smoothed out the upper part of the TT airbox with the larger MAF - so that when IHI goes on, the TT airbox will fit on the lower part which has the 100mm ducting... with a green cotton panel filter which I'm already running, I'll have plenty of airflow to satisfy the IHI, and not spent £150 on soething that will get heat soaked and not do the job as well... That's my opinon anyway...

Raf

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise