RamAir CAI... Not impressed!!! Help?

Ben CTR

Still Part Of VAG
May 6, 2003
Open Road...
Visit site
Basically guys, i've recently bought a RamAir CAI for my LCR and fitted it last week. Since it's been on, i've noticed a slight kick in power at 4500rpm then a smaller one at about 5500rpm.. So I obviously thought, nice one :funk: , slight power gain........................ :headhurt: Not so!!
Had a blast with my mate in his VXR (Astra) earlier and he was with me all the way... :confused: Now considering the other week we had a go and I pulled on him nicely (have a disused airfield near us), I got home and thought, mmmmmm, something's not right somewhere..:confused: The car did have a boot full of work gear today granted..
So without further a do, socket set out, CAI OFFSKI...
Went out for another drive with standard airbox back in place and the power kicks at 4500 and 5500rpm have gone, but it felt quicker, smoother, but quicker!
Now i'm thinking those power kicks may have been what the car was like before and the bit's inbetween may of been where it was losing power..:confused: .. :shrug:
So before I took the CAI off, I did a timed run from 30-100mph (starting in 2nd and through the gears again on airfield).. This resulted in a time of 11.2 secs.. Did the same again with the standard airbox on and the time was......................... 10.4secs.. :blink: (these tests were tested on the same piece of tarmac)...
What could be wrong guys? Or are these Ram air filters just for sound and show, instead of GO!!!!

Also, what's your thoughts on V Power v's Tesco 99ron... I have been comparing the 2 over the last 4 months and i'm 110% conviced that she runs better on Tesco (believe it or not)..
My mate in the VXR has just started using it now and kept texting me today telling me he couldn't belive how much better his felt on Tesco, compared with V Power.. I had to fill up with V Power this morning as was caught short.. So need to compare again when back on the 'Every little helps' rocket fuel... As that may of made a slight difference tonight, or it may just be me..

Last edited:

karlosR

TORQUEY, NOISEY V6
Mar 10, 2006
BEDFORD
same as cordobabrendy with my ramair/raid filter. i fitted mine with the cold air ducting only to find that my LCR felt resticted. i took the ducting off and it instantly felt less asthmatic. i did leave the trunking on that fed the standard airbox cold air so heatsoak shouldn't really be that much of an issue once you're moving.

Ben CTR

Still Part Of VAG
May 6, 2003
Open Road...
Visit site
I just think that they are there for noise and show if i'm honest.. Always been sceptical about Filters (especially cone ones), but thought CAI should be ok.. Doesn't seem to be the case here..

acidstrato

My Fast says shut up!
Dec 9, 2004
Newport, South Wales
is it a proper CAI or a filter with a cold air feed?

i did notice a difference in air flow when i switched from dynatwist to my CAI but the effect on its performance was minimal as expected

Ben CTR

Still Part Of VAG
May 6, 2003
Open Road...
Visit site
RamAir was fine on my old LCR, but can I recommend you test your DV?

When you say fine mate, did you ever have anyway of telling the difference (apart from whilst driving) ie.. Rolling roaded with and without, 1/4 mile runs, or even a similar test to what i've just had.. ha..
In all fairness, it was using the standard cold air feed, but I didn't think it would make it worse..?
How do you mean test my DV??? It seems fine by sound etc and certainly hasn't slowed in down since it went on.. I ran my best 1/4 with it on, so can't say it's made it slower really, but you'll know more than me i'd imagine mate? I'm open to suggestions... ;)

acidstrato

My Fast says shut up!
Dec 9, 2004
Newport, South Wales
ahright what i meant was if its a carbonio style cai

i'd recommend doing what i did which was run some logs of airflow with and without

least you'll see for yourself if its helping or not, more accurate and use than an RR imo

Mitchy

TTRS
Oct 12, 2004
Ben i tested this a few weeks back by monitoring airflow across the MAF.

Granted it was not the ramair filter but the BMC. Both CAI kits though:)

I originally run the car with a BMC filter, but i thought i'd try the standard airbox that i'd smoothed out with green panel filter for comparisons. I logged the BMC just beforehand and then the airbox straight after for fair comparisons. Instantly the airflow was down 5-6g/s. I left it on the car a week, did battery/ecu resets and TBA and then tested again 1 week later to see if it was due to adaption.

Logged my results with airbox, removed and refitted BMC and logged again with BMC. BMC again showed an improvement of 5-6g/s over airbox.

So the BMC definitely makes a difference. I have only ever heard bad things about the ramair filter, this is obviously another:blink:

Dedicated cold air feed to the filter, ie 3'' hosing would definitely have helped mate. Running it closed and clamped to the filter to the standard area is fine.
Its just up at the filter end using the standard pipe, its obviously not going to be a closed/sealed system.

Last edited:

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
ahright what i meant was if its a carbonio style cai

That style wouldn not fit an LCR as there is a second intercooler in the way

Ben CTR said:
When you say fine mate, did you ever have anyway of telling the difference (apart from whilst driving) ie.. Rolling roaded with and without, 1/4 mile runs, or even a similar test to what i've just had.. ha..

How do you mean test my DV???

No specific tests but the car felt as quick with it fitted as with the normal airbox, I did loose a MAF while it was fitted but this is almost certainly due to my poor installation at the time (vibration / flapping about)...

There is a leak test you can perform on the DV (forge have details somewhere on there web site) my DV30 gave me some issues over a period of time when it had a leak......maybe worth a test :shrug:

Bogwoppit

Aug 30, 2005
Lincs
Which Ramair did you fit as certain ones are only rated to 200bhp if I remember correctly, so it could be strangling you car.

Skorchio

600 Miles to a tank :)
Jan 23, 2007
Nr Milton Keynes
Has anyone had any problems with a DynaTwist?? Is VAG com somethink you can buy for your laptop or somthink??

Peter: You are correct. There are alot of BHP restrictions on filters. The Dynatwist has 3 models.

Bogwoppit

Aug 30, 2005
Lincs
Ben,

Gazjones is based in Hykeham and he has vagcom, he has helped me out in the past doing logs etc, might be worth a try.

Ben CTR

Still Part Of VAG
May 6, 2003
Open Road...
Visit site
Yeah I know of Gaz actually.. Might be worth a shot.. Or I might just leave my standard airbox (smoothed with green panel filter) on to be honest.. As it is definatley better performance wise that way round... Either that, or go for the BMC I suppose..
Mmmmm decisions decisions... lol

karlosR

TORQUEY, NOISEY V6
Mar 10, 2006
BEDFORD
same as cordobabrendy with my ramair/raid filter. i fitted mine with the cold air ducting only to find that my LCR felt resticted. i took the ducting off and it instantly felt less asthmatic. i did leave the trunking on that fed the standard airbox cold air so heatsoak shouldn't really be that much of an issue once you're moving.

ok, i'd like to retract the above statement. i've noticed that just recently the performance on my LCR was not quite what it was and as i've not long had it serviced so i put the problem down to the filter. i took it off and it didn't seem that dirty just the usual dead wildlife but what i did notice was just how oily the filter was. i haven't cleaned it yet as it was on my to do list so it isn't me being over zealous with the oil. i have taken it off for good and put on the standard airbox with the standard filter and it seems to pull harder and also smoother, just a shame i've lost any audible DV noise now. i'll hopefully be getting a BMC filter soon and i'm hoping that will be better as they don't need any oil to destroy the MAF.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise