Split R vs 007

M87NER

MATNER
Mar 11, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent
Quick Question, which is the best and what kind of noises do they both make? thinkin of purchasing one of them but want peoples oppinions 1st,

cheers,

davidol

New ghetto whip :)
Aug 17, 2004
Cardiff
007 = <cover_your_mouth> tshhhhhh</cover_your_mouth>

and the split R

tshhhhh

hows that for ya? :)

Dan Cupra R

The Yellow Sub
May 2, 2006
Reading
Depends on how loud you want the sound?

From my personal experience the 007p was great at what it did, great value for money as well. I like the whoosh sound personally so found the 007p valve too quiet, a bit like darth vader breathing.

Ive got the Split R on now, works just the same as my old forge valve but with a louder noise. The whoosh makes a chatter like noise on low boost and under full load it lets out a big whoosh.

It dosent sound as loud as a proper BOV valve but does enough to keep me happy.

Having said that Ive heard SEAT's running the 007 valve that louder than mine. Suppose it depends on the mods you have on the car.

Last edited:

the_prophet

Jul 28, 2006
just to add, i just the changed the diverter valve on my lcr from a standard one - sound isn't really any different - you can hear it but no louder than before. maybe my old one was shot mind! this is with a ram air. if you want to be able to hear it, may want to look at the splitr.

Last edited:

acidstrato

My Fast says shut up!
Dec 9, 2004
Newport, South Wales
imo theres no extra sound to be had from a 007p over the standard bosch valve, it soley depends on the type of intake you have

things like a TIP and open cone filter dramatically increase sound but the best by far is a cold air intake kit, relocating the air filter in the bumper. the sound of the turbo echos through the tip and intake pipe and gives off a big 'wooooosh'. with the 007p on an otherwise standard intake system, there will be minimal sound

the split'r on the other hand actually makes a 'tshhhhhh' sound which is released from the valve and not through the intake system

May 2, 2006
not taking anything away from forge here, but i personally wouldnt put the splitR anywhere near my car, these cars are not meant to vent to atmos, and the split R DOES, not matter how little it still does at the end of the day.
007p all the way for me, still sounds cool too with the right mods too as mentioned already

acidstrato

My Fast says shut up!
Dec 9, 2004
Newport, South Wales
i gotta be honest i used to feel the same as David but after witnessing the valve in person it has to be said that when set up correctly they sound pretty good and since we haven't heard of any problems we can only assume it does its job.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
I have had a look at a split R today for a local guy....
too quiet was its complaint... and a flutter type sound, which rang alarm bells to me. Checking with my vacuum pump and it hardly moved at all before it dropped back shut, hardly opening. (that would be the flutter then!) :no:

Disassembled it to have a nose round.
No seal on brass piston, relies on fit to ally housing as a sort of seal, with leakage path.

The progressive nature of the port opening(s) is initial opening is recirc and remaining is the atmos, via the small slot. What ocurs to me is the DV needs a higher vacuum to lift the piston by nature of its "fit" being the only seal, and when it can lift, the first major opening to recirc which is large then vents to intake, and then finally the small slot for atmos vent gets any remaining boost for woosh. How much boost is actually remaining after the recir port has done its things before the atmos vent small slot is uncovered.
Adjust the top all the clockwise then adds more preload to the spring and also effectively stops the atmos vent from opening at all.

:think:

Hmmmmmm

Havok316

Boost Junky
Jun 6, 2006
Weston-super-Mare
surely venting boost would drop performance? Or if it vents hot air and replaces with cold again would it be better? I have no idea how these things effect the car

acidstrato

My Fast says shut up!
Dec 9, 2004
Newport, South Wales
surely venting boost would drop performance? Or if it vents hot air and replaces with cold again would it be better? I have no idea how these things effect the car

the opening of the DV is controlled by other means so its not exactly a leak as such hence 007p is known as a closed loop valve. the splitr isnt a closed loop but essentially it shouldnt vent until its meant to

acidstrato

My Fast says shut up!
Dec 9, 2004
Newport, South Wales
I have had a look at a split R today for a local guy....
too quiet was its complaint... and a flutter type sound, which rang alarm bells to me. Checking with my vacuum pump and it hardly moved at all before it dropped back shut, hardly opening. (that would be the flutter then!) :no:

Disassembled it to have a nose round.
No seal on brass piston, relies on fit to ally housing as a sort of seal, with leakage path.

The progressive nature of the port opening(s) is initial opening is recirc and remaining is the atmos, via the small slot. What ocurs to me is the DV needs a higher vacuum to lift the piston by nature of its "fit" being the only seal, and when it can lift, the first major opening to recirc which is large then vents to intake, and then finally the small slot for atmos vent gets any remaining boost for woosh. How much boost is actually remaining after the recir port has done its things before the atmos vent small slot is uncovered.
Adjust the top all the clockwise then adds more preload to the spring and also effectively stops the atmos vent from opening at all.

:think:

Hmmmmmm

i stand corrected

i didnt think adjusting the top affected the amount of atmos vent or is it more all or nothing, by preoading the spring so that the piston doesnt open enough to vent past the recirc port?

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
i stand corrected

i didnt think adjusting the top affected the amount of atmos vent or is it more all or nothing, by preoading the spring so that the piston doesnt open enough to vent past the recirc port?

the adjuster when all the way clockwise limits the movement of the piston as well as making it stiffer. backing it off allows the piston more movement as well as reducing its stiffness. Adjusting it whilst off the car and pushing the piston up and you can see what I mean.

What I am unsure about in actual service is the vacuum req'd to lift the piston vs the leakby from piston clearance & its relation to the preload.

Presuming the pressure is going into the bottom port, recirc to TIP from sideport.

yours like this yea?

acidstrato

My Fast says shut up!
Dec 9, 2004
Newport, South Wales
by guessing i think he's referring to the hyperboost recirc valves available

cant really see how the sound different or offer any performance benefit...and being unservicable makes the bottom of the pile in my opinion

May 2, 2006
by guessing i think he's referring to the hyperboost recirc valves available

cant really see how the sound different or offer any performance benefit...and being unservicable makes the bottom of the pile in my opinion

sound is more suttle than the forge i found with the hyperboost, very chucky piece of kit too, didnt like it, (sold it 8 days later) my vote again goes to the 007p

dj_bigfella

1.8 20vt
Jan 4, 2005
Hayes, London
www.djbigfella.com
i had the forge before and managed to get hold of the hyperboost as it was a new item at tuningwerkes. he recommended it over the forge. have owned it 18 months and its still mint. its features such as light internals and no diaphragm means you don't need to service it. but it's all about preference really.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise