Choice of MK4 models

Shortride

Jun 19, 2006
Hi Ibiza owners.

I hopefully soon will be looking to purchase a MK4 used Ibiza and I just have a couple queries regarding the model range?

I will be looking for either a 1.4 or 1.9 Diesel model and first I just wanted to know what the main difference is bewteen the SE and Sport models. I know they have interior differences such as the SE has climate control where the Sport has Air Con but what is the difference in the performance between the two models (Not with speed but with the drive).

One other thing im struggling with and just thought i would check with the experts :whistle: is did the SE model come with the dark cloth interior rather than the lighter cloth. I think Ive seen it in the diesel model but I thought i would just check that and also once a again im unsure abouts, did the sport diesel 1.9 have a option to have climate control.

Just need to check these details as I am buying the vehicle from my local general car dealer down the road and I just want to make sure what Im look for is correct.

Thanks

Shortride

Poverty

Sport has sport seats, sport suspension, better alloys and the car sits slightly lower.

Downsides are increased road noise, and the ride can be crashy. If you are a enthusiastic driver though the sport is the one to go for, unless your gonna mod your suspension anyway, and change the alloys.

How old are you? Is this your first car? Driven any other cars?

I have a 1.4 sport (85) BTW, and I find that its quite a bit faster than I expected! Havent driven any of the diesel ibiza's so cant comment on them.!

Ibiza 130 tdi

Black Magic
Jan 15, 2007
Somerset
I love my diesel Sport. the ride isn't harsh at all. :) Got loads of umph but I have one of the old ones when they were 130bhp. Now they are only 100bhp.

My Sport has climate control and air con...:D

And road/engine noise is much quieter than my mums Leon Mk1. Lovely quiet car! Plus....no rattles! :funk:

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
What age cars are you looking at? They made so many changes through the years that even I get confused sometimes.

Some sports were 130bhp, others were 100bhp. I think if it has aircon rather than climate, its a late 100 or an early import 130.

Shortride

Jun 19, 2006
Sport has sport seats, sport suspension, better alloys and the car sits slightly lower.

Downsides are increased road noise, and the ride can be crashy. If you are a enthusiastic driver though the sport is the one to go for, unless your gonna mod your suspension anyway, and change the alloys.

How old are you? Is this your first car? Driven any other cars?

I have a 1.4 sport (85) BTW, and I find that its quite a bit faster than I expected! Havent driven any of the diesel ibiza's so cant comment on them.!

Cheers for all the advice guys. Im 20 and it would be my 2nd car. I currently own a 1.25 P reg Fiesta. I was thinking of looking for any MK4 model really from 2002-2005 maybe but with either a SE or Sport spec.

Anymore help will be appreciated.

Thanks

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
if your wanting a little poke go for the pd130 as its got more potential when remapped but still keeping high mpg

Poverty

I would have to agree with rashcupra! It depends though how much of a performance increase are you looking for over the 1.25 fiesta? Do you have a budget limit?

CHR15B

May 5, 2005
Scotland
All Sport PD130's have climate. I don't know about the 100's. The 130 also has a 6-Speed box. You can only buy the Sport TDI in 100 now, the FR TDI is 130.

Shortride

Jun 19, 2006
cheers for the advice guys. Im looking at spending no more than £6k although my old car will also get abit of part exchange with it as well.

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
You get can a 130 Sport for under £6k easy! :) I had a 130 Sport at 19, the insurance was ceap with it being IG8E!

Imported 130 Sports came with Sports dseats but SE wheels and aircon. Some had cruise too.

Azubi

I have a 1.4 SE. Nice car but not as much poke as I would like when pulling away.

I would have to recommend the 130 TDi Lovely car to drive. I was looking for one myself until an unfortunate accident forced me to get a car straight away.

Shortride

Jun 19, 2006
Thanks for the thoughts peeps. The 1.9 does sound like a really good option. I will definately consider it. Right think might do some looking around.

Any more happy 1.9 owners with their thoughts?

Last edited:

Deleted member 13653

1.9 - with performance and return on fuel - what more can you want?! (Except the car to be full of women!). I have a 160pd and couldnt go back to a petrol....

BJM

Sep 25, 2005
Houston, Renfrewshire
130 TDi here too, I previously had a 20VT 150 and to be honest mt TDi is a much better drive, power when you need it, great fuel economy, IG8 and 110quid a year for tax - makes perfect sense!

zippyprorider

Feeling the power!!!
Dec 26, 2005
Id go for the 1.4 petrol as it still petrol and so ragging the balls off it will still be fun but thats coz diesal dont do it for me (as i love the power on the red line!!!) The diesal will deffo be quicker than a 1.4 and feel faster!

Andy

pedy

Mar 29, 2007
denny - stirlingshire
iv got the tdi sport 130 aswell, deffo the best car ive had, wouldnt look at a petrol again!! alot of power and doesnt hurt ur wallet!! good spec 2!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise