Help - my rear washer pipe has popped off !

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Look's like I've succumbed to the old favourite - my rear washer pipe has popped off - a really weedy jet, and the sound of water spraying inside the tailgate :mad:.

Anyway, any tips on how I get inside the tailgate to fix it ?

I've never pulled the tailgate apart yet, and it's dark outside now.

Do I need any tools, or is it a quick'n'easy job I can do at work ?

Any help appreciated !!

k11jrp

old and wiser
When i had this done under warrenty last year, they ordered a new hatch interior cover cos they said they always shatter when trying to take em off. Sorry to have to tell you this!!! Mine has gone again this week so back into the dealers she will go.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Great :rolleyes:

Haven't got time to get it to the dealer though, as I need to see out of my back window !

Anyone got any experience of removing the trim successfully ?
How does it come off ?

Henderson1983

Mine popped off two days ago and now i cant open my boot. i think the water has got into the electrics. i cant even open it with the key! Its bugggered! Its booked into westerham seat tom morning. do u reckon ill get it back before christmas with these problems fixed??

waddy

Ovni Ditch Sleeper
Aug 16, 2004
St Ives (ish) Cambridgeshire
Take the two covers off and remove the screws underneath.

Then pull at it like you've never pulled before !!!

There are about 8 metal clips holding it in. They will come away from the plastic and be left in the metal of the boot skin.

They will need to be removed and put back on the plastic for re-insertion.

The noise will sound awful but the plastic is very strong and should be ok.

disclaimer - waddy is not to be held responsible for broken boot trims !! ;)

I had the same problem last night !!

see here

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Cheers Waddy - I note your link is to a Mk3 boot, guess the Mk4 is similar though...

Time to go and steal some cable ties....

driveforward

Is at the Nürburgring
Nov 5, 2002
www.driveforward.com
Henderson1983 said:
Mine popped off two days ago and now i cant open my boot. i think the water has got into the electrics. i cant even open it with the key! Its bugggered! Its booked into westerham seat tom morning. do u reckon ill get it back before christmas with these problems fixed??
Yeah, this is very common (we've had it happen several times to our Arosa, and it happened twice to my old MK4 Ibiza). The microswitch for the central locking it directly under where the washer pipe fits, so, as the pipe loosens, water drips over it, corrodes it and usually your alarm and central locking develop a mind of their own (random alarm sounding, random locking/unlocking of the doors), I've even experienced all windows being rolled down because of this too.

Basically, I'd get it fixed ASAP, you certainly don't want your car becoming unlocked when left unattended...

Henderson1983

The dealer is taking it in for repair but im really unhappy with the car so far. I have had it for 5 months and its been in 6 times for differnt repaire. The window wouldnt shut, the passenger door wouldnt open, the suspension was creaking and needed to be sixed, the brakes squeak and now this. I love the car to bits but the build quality is poop! I want to upgrade to an FR, do you reckon ive got any chance of rejecting this car and swoping?

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
I've just been out in the works car park and can't seem to shift the trim panel....

Have found the 4 screws and removed them, but it must be held in with the mothers of all trim clips !

Will have to wait till I get home and have some "tools" at hand to provide a little more leverage. It really does feel like something's going to snap though, especially as the plastic is so cold.

Does anyone know how many clips there are in total ? Think I've located 4 so far by feel.

waddy

Ovni Ditch Sleeper
Aug 16, 2004
St Ives (ish) Cambridgeshire
muddyboots said:
Will have to wait till I get home and have some "tools" at hand to provide a little more leverage. It really does feel like something's going to snap though, especially as the plastic is so cold.

Does anyone know how many clips there are in total ? Think I've located 4 so far by feel.

There were a few more on mk MKIII. (bout 8 i think)

I used a screwdriver to 'gently' prise the corner back and worked from n/s to o/s. The clips on mine were sprung metal that slots into the plastic but pops into the metal skin of the boot. 90% of them stayed in the skin and came away from the plastic. Getting them out of the metal was a right bitch as they go in and are obviously designed not to come out too easily. I found that applying significant pressure to them from the top (not twatting with a hammer !) meant they eventually popped out - make sure you watch where the little buggers go though !

loonymoon

Just to revive this old thread. The pipe in my Ibiza popped off the other day. Got a shower this morning when I opened the boot. Phoned the dealer and they'll probably fix it under warranty, but I'm pretty sure that it was also done before my ownership of this car.

Is there a more permanent fix for this problem?

loonymoon

i put a small jubilee clip on but i bearly use it now for fear of it popping off at least till the weather warms up a bit!

The dealer say they'll do it and now they put special clips on. They said they tried cable ties but didn't work much better than the original fixing. They said they'd only put the clips on the junction that's popped off though as it'd take ages to clip up all the possible "pop" sites:blink: !!

Aimez

yeh iv heard a few people say theres has disconnected in the engine bay area.
if a dealers gonna do it let them if they **** it up its there fault. i did my own as i couldnt be arsed to go to a dealership hate goin to places tike that always feel like a pratt! I ran the risk of if i broke the clips in the boot panel id have to sort it but i broke one which doesnt make any difference!

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
I must have been really lucky - I never had my washer pipe pop off in 11 months of ownership. :)

I did use a stupidly strong solution of screenwash though - you could almost taste it when you used the washers!! ;)

loonymoon

I must have been really lucky - I never had my washer pipe pop off in 11 months of ownership. :)

I did use a stupidly strong solution of screenwash though - you could almost taste it when you used the washers!! ;)

.....well it happened to me after almost exactly 12 months of ownership!! ;) The last lot of screen wash I used about a 50% mix as I was scared of this happening... didn't stop it though:cry:

deezal

Sep 28, 2003
Northern Ireland
Visit site
The dealer say they'll do it and now they put special clips on. They said they tried cable ties but didn't work much better than the original fixing. They said they'd only put the clips on the junction that's popped off though as it'd take ages to clip up all the possible "pop" sites:blink: !!

Mine was leaking at the rear washer, the pipe had nearly come off .Pushed it back on but still seems loose.I did try a couple of cable ties but as you say they didnt help much .The washer now seems to work OK, but I think Ill give the dealer a ring tomorrow and see if they'll give me one of these clips.
It was a ten minute job, hardesrt part was getting the plastic off without breaking ! Ill not be in an hurry to put it back on , make sure the things fixed properly first ! ;)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.