Tracking Alignment

KENWA

Don't Crash It Hurts
Sep 5, 2005
Hi Evryone,

Im just after a little help:

Stupidly hit a large curb a couple of weeks ago and knocked my tracking out a fair bit.

Took the cupra to the garage for a lazer alignment withthis response:

Cant do it Mate! Cars too low!, cant get the lazer gear onto the tyres on the rear arches!!

Basically im screwed coz iv tried various garages with the same resonse.

Ive heard that back in the day the garages used 'TRACK MATS' instead of lazers. Could this be an option? Or do you think if i swapped the 17's for 14's just for the tracking that would work?? But then i dont think itl drive onto the lift HAHAHA!

PLEASE HELP ME!!

Molehill_Mike

Rollin' on 20s
Jan 3, 2005
Bedfordshire
We had problems on saturday getting a Mk3 Ibiza Cupra on the Rollers.

The garage had these rubber cthings about 2" high, circle but sliced. Jacked the car up, allowing spring to expand, and slid these rubber things into the spring.

Maybe you could get 4 of these? May help?

Mike

KENWA

Don't Crash It Hurts
Sep 5, 2005
Ah yea! Thanks,

Av seem them things, think theyre for heavy loads in the back of the car or something. Stop the arches coming down too far? Wonder what they're called.

Need to sort this coz my new tyres are getting eaten away day by day!

Anyone heard of 'Track Mats'?

jonmk2

Mar 22, 2006
This shouldn't matter because the tracking isn't adjustable at the rear anyway.

KENWA

Don't Crash It Hurts
Sep 5, 2005
You need to get hooks over the back wheel in order for the lazers to point towards the front of the car and line up in the trap on the hooks at the front.

How does 'hunter' gear work??

The local garages here use the hooks because i have rang round every one of them and they have all told me the same thing.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Hunter gear is one of the best setup's out there....

You don't want to hang it over a tyre.... that's not a true flat plain. The alignmycar site has a dealer locator, try that.

KENWA

Don't Crash It Hurts
Sep 5, 2005
Thanks, Il try that. Think there should be one up Kendal way.

Is it more expensive to use this hunter gear??

KENWA

Don't Crash It Hurts
Sep 5, 2005
Just Rang The track my car people in Kendal who said they might not be able to do it. Also when i asked the price they said £75 + VAT. That cant be right!

What a nightmare!!!

KENWA

Don't Crash It Hurts
Sep 5, 2005
ITS EXTORSIONATE.

4 Wheel Lazer Tracking Alignment is 25 at my local garage.

The joys of having a lowered car!!!

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Takes a couple of hours to do a good job though... £25 won't include camber (done accurately)

simon34

smoooooooth
May 2, 2006
northampton
more than £25 where i have mine done though as you can see from the rubbish pic its more than a ten minute job when done properly
tracking.jpg

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
that's where I get mine done too Simon.... last time was £80 setup & tracking, plus £10/side camber plus VAT

but it was perfect, not to within tolerance

lunalupi

...is not a bloke!
Jul 29, 2006
Wiltshire
I've found a good place here in Leicester called 'Tyres and Exhausts Galore' - they use stuff that attaches to the alloy itself, rather than the tyre - only place I can take mine to as its too low for anything else.

They charge about £25-50 depending on how much they need to adjust - last time I paid £35 for my tracking and camber doing on the front.

KENWA

Don't Crash It Hurts
Sep 5, 2005
Thanks a lot everyone, il have a look around to see if anyone can do it without attaching to the tyre. Might just have to bite the bullet and pay the cash.

Dont think il be driving to Leicester from Barrow-in-Furness just to get my alignment done. Thanks thow - its good to know there are stil some garages who dont completely rip you off.

Some track plates, a tape measure and some chalk maybe??? LOL!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise