Tyres: anyone had either T1-Rs or F1s

S13

May 9, 2006
I need two new front tyres.
These will go with the original Turanzo's on the back.
(or I may swap front and back around - to put the new ones on the back)

I've narrowed it down to Toyo T1-Rs or Goodyear Eagle F1's (other suggestions welcome :) ).

If you have had either of the above before, how many miles did you get out of them? Also, where abouts did you get them from and how much?

Cheers

zippyprorider

Feeling the power!!!
Dec 26, 2005
Ive had toyo t1rs on my vw polo and they were great realy grippy although seemed to let go pretty sharpish if u overcooked it lol! They did about 7000 miles although a lot of that were track days and drag strips and extreamly hard driving!

Andy

S13

May 9, 2006
Cheers mate, tried a search but theres not many posts on how many miles people had out of them.

Shytot

Jul 4, 2005
I have only had both as the assymetrico originals just disappeared from shops.

A rip off an ad but "This is the gospel according to GSD":clap:

I have them on 200+bhp FWD
My mate has them on 268bhp FWD

We swear by them "****ing hell"!

Last edited:

EdButler

Apr 24, 2005
Sheffield
http://www.tyretest.com/ - Toyo T1-R's are #1 from the public reviews - itll also give you a very good indication of wear rate. Theyre also a bit cheaper than the GSD3's.

Always put the more grippy ones on the back, my rears are lower than the fronts and it gets VERY twitchy on the limit.

Try www.etyres.co.uk - they seem well priced and the price includes them coming to your home/work to fit them - excellent service!

Small

Aug 23, 2003
Bournemouth
Visit site
Yeah, best to put the new tyres on the back. I have GSD3s on the back of my 20vt and find that grip has increased a lot and road noise has decreased (worth the money alone for that reason as the Mk4 is not the quietest car these days). They are not the most hard wearing as they are grippy in the dry and wet, can't have both unfortunately.

EB20VT

Feb 5, 2005
West Yorkshire
Eagle F1 GSD3's all the time for me. my last set lasted about 10k and still gripped well with half the tread missing (my tracking was out slightly!!)

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
I can definitely recommend the Toyo's. I had them on my previous car and they gripped like hell. Especially in the wet. Plus I recon they look pretty good as well. Will be fitting them to my GTI once I wear out the Michelins.

Mig

lukey

4 Ringer
Sep 28, 2006
Harrogate
the NS2s i had on my civic were ditchfinders
the GSD3s were very good tyres but lasted 10k
The T1Rs were in my opinion so close to the GSD3s that it wont make much of a difference unless caning to the absolute limit and in 10k used 3mm of tread, they were also 26 quid a corner cheaper

Fez boy

Apr 23, 2003
Watford
Visit site
As above ;)

I had them both on my TDi and the F1's were a little bid more money(done about 8K and sold them on here still about 5mm on all of them)

T1R's are very good and that's what I have now(Good in the wet & dry)

gazjones

ive got the t1r's on mine very pleased with them and good price not done many miles in them so cant comment on how long they last

cpufreak

back in the UK
Nov 9, 2003
London, SW6
photo.ing.me.uk
I ran toyo t1r on my ibiza, they seemed quite good, similar to uniroyal rainsport.

these days run michelin pilot sport 2s as my everyday tyres, and I know they're a lot more expensive, but they're fantastic, and last considerably longer than F1s in my experience.

keefy

Dec 4, 2006
Kumho Ecsta SPT KU31's and Vredestein Sportrac2's are good tyres. Mytyres.co.uk are doing them for £51 and £59 respectively (not fitted) for 205/45/16's.

I had the Kumho's on my Fiesta and they were good in the wet and dry, and I had the Vredestein Hi-Trac's (the one down from the Sportracs) too. They were not as good in the dry but excellent in the wet and lasted for ages.

They also do some Marangoni Zeta Linea's for a reasonable price which look excellent, but I have never heard of. Anyone know anything about these?

Tadger

Who wants to live forever
Jul 23, 2001
Undetermined
Visit site
When I had my last Leon (Petrol cupra) I got through 22 tyres and by far the best were the F1's , but the D3s only laster about 6,000 on average compared with ~8000 for the old D2s.... but it was worth it as nothign matched the grip in the wet.

Now I'm stuck with ContiSport2s as my lease company wo't pay for f1s :cry:

Not bad though....

Goot

There Can Be Only One!
Sep 9, 2002
Cheshire
Maybe I just drive like a grandad? I've had F1 GSD3's on all fours (ooeerrr!) for 12k miles so far, 4mm left on front, 5mm on back (need to rotate them soon)

Very grippy and a vast improvement (both in dry and wet) than my original Bridgestones. Will be getting them again.

Goot :)

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
Maybe I just drive like a grandad? I've had F1 GSD3's on all fours (ooeerrr!) for 12k miles so far, 4mm left on front, 5mm on back (need to rotate them soon)

Very grippy and a vast improvement (both in dry and wet) than my original Bridgestones. Will be getting them again.

Goot :)

I must too - 16000 miles and still plenty of life left in original Bridgestones :D Mostly A road driving helps a lot mind