Green Cotton or K&N

tom528

Sorry if this has already been talked about but im rather new to this kind of thing and its my first post.

I’m looking to upgrade my standard air filter from the bog standard to a better performance filter, not really interested in full induction kits.

These two names seem to come up the most but being a novice at this kind of thing I wondered which would be best?

I have read about the K&N being very oily and having problems with the MAF? This went over my head :D

I currently have a Seat Ibiza DAB 100ps 56 plate.

Thanks for any help.

AwesomeSarah

Forum Sponsor
Mar 6, 2006
Hi
The K & N Filters I think is a bit of a Myth
K & N are the market leaders abd have been for many many years , and I am sure they would not be if that was true :confused:
To throw a spanner in the works , have you heard of the Pipercross one?
This is a foam one.
We have these on offer for £28.00 + VAT with FREE postage
I have one on my Fabia PD100 and was great , a bit more sound and also 5mpg gain since it was fitted.
Sarah

simon34

smoooooooth
May 2, 2006
northampton
Most people go for the green filter buti have a k&n in mine and its been fine think the problem comes from over oiling the filters which could happen with either the k&n or green .
Of course there is the pipercross one too and thats a good price

AwesomeSarah

Forum Sponsor
Mar 6, 2006
Most people go for the green filter buti have a k&n in mine and its been fine think the problem comes from over oiling the filters which could happen with either the k&n or green .
Of course there is the pipercross one too and thats a good price

Yes it is a GREAT price [B)] but I dont know how long we can keep this price though
Sarah

sssstew

Editing your spelling
have only heard good things about the green ones. Its the over oiling when people service the k+ns and pipercross that tends to kill the MAF, it covers them in a thin film which they try and burn off but then end up burning out.

Green cotton ones dont need this so hence are more friendly to the MAF.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Bill discovered a while back that its more likely to be the boost return oil mist, travelling up the TIP, that oils the MAF rather than the retention oil of an air filter.

I use K&N, and have done successfully without any MAF issues since i bought the car. But there is no need to plaster the stuff on, the main gauze catches the big stuff, and a fine coating of rentention oil is good enough to catch the small particulates. No need to splash it all over.

tom528

I'm still currently tempted by Green Cotton :)

Thanks for the replys will keep reading, Sarah will keep your kind offer in mind!

AwesomeSarah

Forum Sponsor
Mar 6, 2006
I'm still currently tempted by Green Cotton :)

Thanks for the replys will keep reading, Sarah will keep your kind offer in mind!

Hi Tom
No problem.
Green Cotton and K & N are both made of cotton gauze , the only differences is the colours....K & N are red and Green Cotton believe it or not are green
Sarah

stu666

Stuart
Nov 8, 2006
Scotland
Hi
The K & N Filters I think is a bit of a Myth
K & N are the market leaders abd have been for many many years , and I am sure they would not be if that was true :confused:
To throw a spanner in the works , have you heard of the Pipercross one?
This is a foam one.
We have these on offer for £28.00 + VAT with FREE postage
I have one on my Fabia PD100 and was great , a bit more sound and also 5mpg gain since it was fitted.
Sarah

Where can I buy 1 of these at that price?

AwesomeSarah

Forum Sponsor
Mar 6, 2006
Hi Mate
Yes it is , on the home page there is a pic of a Pipercross filter and it does state free postage on this item :confused:
But if you wanted to order it on the on line shop , put a note on there and the postage will be removed...or give me a call and I will sort it for you as we put it on manually...
Computers dont like giving things away for free ;)
I dont mind that`s all
Sarah

AwesomeSarah

Forum Sponsor
Mar 6, 2006
Hi
I had issues with my fuel economy not long ago.
Had a new MAF fitted , but it was still very poor , well for me anyway.
I had been getting 65 ish to the gallon.
This went down to 50ish
So I had the MAF replaced and it was better , but not much better 55ish
I am now getting around the 59 to 60ish after this
I do 150 miles per day and use the same road
I know that fuel economy goes down with the winter months , with all the extra`s that you have on , like heaters and wipers , but I am more than happy at the moment with mine.
OK I have not had it on long , but I have clocked up approx 8k miles since this has been done
Sarah

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.