Tyre pressure monitor - Can you change wheels with this option?

warren_cox

Back from the dead
Hi

If you specify a car with tyre pressure monitors from factory, how will this work if you then change the wheels?

I am assuming the sensor must be in the wheel as I read on the wall of a tyre fitters the other day that you must tell them before having new tyres fitted if you have them (and if you don't and they damage them then its your own fault).

I'm not changing size, just a straight swap of standard 18's for some RS4 replica 18's. Will my tyre pressure functionality still work with the aftermarket rims?

Cheers

Warren

Deebo

Jan 25, 2004
Wednesbury
Visit site
Can't see why not. The pressure monitor actually uses the ABS sensor to calculate the rotation of each wheel. i.e. a flat tyre will have a small circumference and therefore turn more than a fully inflated tyre on the same axle. I'm sure there are no sensors on the actual wheels.

warren_cox

Back from the dead
Can't see why not. The pressure monitor actually uses the ABS sensor to calculate the rotation of each wheel. i.e. a flat tyre will have a small circumference and therefore turn more than a fully inflated tyre on the same axle. I'm sure there are no sensors on the actual wheels.

Cheers chap, that makes sense. I could never fathom how you could put a sensor into something that was rotational in the way that a wheel is, particularly as the sensor would have to be in the outer rim of the tyre, so there would be no way to connect it to the hub, and subsequently back to the ECU.

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
I think they are 'held' to the rim by a strap all the way round. So if you are not changing the size of the wheel, you should be able to undo the strap, transfer and tighten to the new rims.

It could be critical that the correct sensor stays on the correct corner of the car.

TheOtherSimon

Jul 12, 2004
There are two types of pressure monitor. One just uses the ABS sensors, the other uses a low power transmitter inside the wheel.

The above replies describe both types. I don't know which type the new Leon has.

Simon.

PlatinumR

Arrived and lovin it!!
Jul 23, 2004
Shoreham-by-Sea
just check them once a week and not bother with this bound to go wrong and annoy you stuff.
Different wheels, unhelpful garage and monitoring problem leads to PITA.

Just my view :)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise