Camber and tracking with coilovers

markupra

Sep 4, 2006
Right guys, got a few problems :(

a friend and I fitted FK coilovers to my ibiza cupra a week ago. The left tyre touched the spring slightly so we adjusted the camber ourselves so it no longer touched with about a centimetre gap (standard wheels). Trying to find somewhere that will touch my car now and sort the camber/tracking is proving to be an issue! Ive just spent 2.5hours in a garage that builds racing cars apparently only for them to decide they would not touch it! They even actually came out with the comment that some of their race cars have softer suspension :confused:

anyway, I also have a horrible knocking noise when I hit a bump on the left hand side and masses of creaking at slow speeds (which is normal apparently?)

My final question is, does anyone know who would touch my car in the Yorkshire area? Kwik fit quoted me £150! lol. Any advice welcome

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
did the race car place tell you why they wouldn't touch it?

Don't waste your money at Kwikfit

markupra

Sep 4, 2006
there was a small rubbing mark on the spring where the tyre had touched it for 5 mins before it was adjusted, then we altered the camber so the top of the wheel was further out, but they couldn't get it into their heads that it had been adjusted since then and so there was no longer any rubbing. All they kept saying was the side with more positive camber is where its rubbing which might suggest problems and they were no longer willing to discuss it! absolute rubbish at the end of the day they just didnt want the job. Any ideas what the noise might be? sounds like its coming from the left, like a bobbling sound over bumps if that makes sense lol.

markupra

Sep 4, 2006
top mounts are on tight, checked em this morning

and yes.. I agree! lol. Is awesome in manchester the nearest?

Essex_Cupra

May 14, 2004
I would definatly take it to awesome at least they will give you more help rather than after 2 hours so no sorry mate can't touch it!

Sorry to go off the thread slighty but when i went to elite they told me you can't adjust the camber on cupras you have to buy new camber bolts! The job is about £100 to do apparently!

markupra

Sep 4, 2006
yeah I don't think theres too much adjustability there, but I thought someone would be able to improve or optimise it compared to how it is now!

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I wouldn't drive too far in case it's badly wrong!

Elite are telling you porkies - you have about 4 degrees adjustment on the struts (11mm holes, 10mm bolts)

markupra

Sep 4, 2006
I know, its awful every time I have to drive it. Need to sort it and be back at uni tomorrow :(

t18con

Mar 21, 2002
n.i.
Visit site
if it helps, ive a knocking on fairly low coilovers too, ive changed all the bushes,etc for no improvement whatsoever. i cant keep paint on driveshafts, so might be one of them knocking.

markupra

Sep 4, 2006
I had it really low at the back at first, the mudflaps were about 1 inch off the ground! but raised it cos they scraped when I went round corners and could hear the exhaust knocking. I don't think its that noise anymore sounds like its coming from the front but gets worse when I've got 4 people in it. Really not sure what to do.. gonna go have another look now....

markupra

Sep 4, 2006
right, its not the exhaust I'm pretty sure, squeezed underneath. had a bounce around on the front and back and can't hear anything either. will try a few more garages tomorrow. is there any chance I will need spacers on the front so that I can get the right camber and still be clear of the shock?

thanks guys

BEOWULF

I am BEOWULF !!!
Mar 18, 2006
I AM IN FRONT OF YOU
I am having mine lowered this weekend on coil overs not ibiza but leon i was told if u lower to much u might need new front arb as the std can rub after lowering
could this be ya problem.

i might be wrong but it might be a help to ya :shrug:

Last edited:

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
you'd have to have the car on teh ground (almost) to have the ARB cause issues

I think it's more likely poor fitment :(

exsaxoboy!

Apr 10, 2006
sutton BRUM
If i was you, i would take the left hand side apart, and check the strut is seated corrrectly in the top mount. If its fine, you may have an issue with a bent wish bone. Only a guess, but worth checking out.

markupra

Sep 4, 2006
ok, thanks very much. Just been chatting to m0rk. The suspension kit thats fitted is an AK kit. The guy who sold it to me told me its for a polo mk4 or a seat ibiza mk3. However, the top mounts for polo mk4s and ibiza cupras are different, which is m0rk's guess as to why its not normal!

Any advice from anyone as to what I should do? :(

exsaxoboy!

Apr 10, 2006
sutton BRUM
Buy a new kit mate. If you check any website, the kit number/id is differnet between the 2. Very simaler but not the same. I beleive the rears use the same kit, but the front is different. Go on a webby like gsf and check the numbers for the top mounts and bearings, see if theres any diffence between the 2 cars. Then you will know for sure, if the front mounting is different.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.