• Welcome to our new sponsor Lecatona, a brand dedicated to enhancing performance for VAG group sports cars, including SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Škoda. Specializing in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) upgrades.

Squeaky Front Breaks

AshCupra300

Sep 16, 2006
Newport, South Wales
Had the Leon for over a week now and the brakes have started to squeak, only front breaks, possibly just driver side, makes a very very high pitch sound and goes once the breaks are pressed fully, but is happening every time I use the breaks, well annoying.

After a long run the noise goes away, so I am thinking once the breaks are warmed up it goes?
So am I right in thinking this is Pads making the noise?

The car has done 7000 miles in the last 12 months so should the Pads be making a squeaking noise allready?

Do you recon they would change the pads under warranty or just adjust the breaks?

panholio

Jun 26, 2006
Leeds
Mine squeek a bit sometime. I think this may be a Brembo thing though.

Get the pad out and razz a bit of copper grease behind them. Will be all sorted.

AshCupra300

Sep 16, 2006
Newport, South Wales
Mine squeek a bit sometime. I think this may be a Brembo thing though.

Get the pad out and razz a bit of copper grease behind them. Will be all sorted.

The FR TDi doesn't have Brembo's (sadly LOL)

When you say put some copper grease behind them , do you mean put copper grease on the face of the pad that contacts the disk? won't this make them slip?

panholio

Jun 26, 2006
Leeds
The FR TDi doesn't have Brembo's (sadly LOL)

When you say put some copper grease behind them , do you mean put copper grease on the face of the pad that contacts the disk? won't this make them slip?

No I know I mean Brembos quite often squeek so it can only be a bit of lubrication required on yours.

You wanna put the copper grease the back of the pad. You'll have to remove the pad to do it properly!

Put it on the front and you are in a world of pain. :lol:

panholio

Jun 26, 2006
Leeds
panholio are you winding me up?

:D No I'm not dude!! You should always grease up the back of the pad when fitting new ones. Stops squeeling.

A mate of mine greased the face of the pad once - I think he got the wrong end of the stick :drive2:

AshCupra300

Sep 16, 2006
Newport, South Wales
:D No I'm not dude!! You should always grease up the back of the pad when fitting new ones. Stops squeeling.

A mate of mine greased the face of the pad once - I think he got the wrong end of the stick :drive2:

Please explain as I am think :whistle: why would greasing the back of the pads (that have no contact with the disk) stop the brakes from Squealing?

Steve`o

If u put grease on the pad edges,when u push the pedal, the pads slide towards the disk helping u brake. If not,it is metal to metal and thus making the noise

Steve`o

Best bet is to lubricate the sides and back of the pads to help reduce brake noise

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
the squeaks are cause by vibration from the friction surfaces, greasing the backs of the pads create a flat surface that cuts vibration a little, enough for the noise to disappear, you could also try reversing somewhere safe and braking firmly to see if its just the way the pads have worn and are in a groove that causes it.
I replaced my standard pads and have been running pagid fr's for 20k with no squealing at all.

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
for the petrol cupra around 45 quid, diesels should be a couple of quid cheaper.
find out what vw equivilent you need then phone/browse or goto your local gsf (german swedish and french) store and ask for a set, make sure you mention that they are the FR version you want.

AshCupra300

Sep 16, 2006
Newport, South Wales
for the petrol cupra around 45 quid, diesels should be a couple of quid cheaper.
find out what vw equivilent you need then phone/browse or goto your local gsf (german swedish and french) store and ask for a set, make sure you mention that they are the FR version you want.

Cheers all will see how it goes, will try the reversing thing as well.

AshCupra300

Sep 16, 2006
Newport, South Wales
Just coming back to this, squeaking today has tunred into a grinding with a high pitch squeak/scrape when coming to a standstill, my dad had a look as he was with me and recons the right side disk (only sqeals from this side) has pickup on it where a lip has formed and the pad is grinding against this at low speed, he recons all 4 of the disks are scratched quite bad :(

Car is breaking fine and not pulling at all, so gonna book it in with Seat as under warranty and I want it sorted.

Anyone else had this trouble?

olaf

Dodo Lover!!
Aug 19, 2006
Ipswich
Wouldnt fancy your chances of getting anything sorted under warranty - brakes will be down as a wear and tear item surely?

Mine still squeak on light breaking, think I might look into upgrading them though, especially if its remapped.