Pros and Cons of the 1.9 and 2.0 TDIs

alx_chung

Dark Lord of the Torque
Sep 11, 2006
In front of a PC....
Hello, its me again :D
Anyways, I was looking at the range and noticed that there was a 1.9 TDI and a 2.0 TDI. Anyone with experience of both? What is are the pros and cons of either of them? I read somewhere (What Car probably) that the 1.9 engine is the older of the two but is it any worse or any better than the 2.0 ltr?
Thanks for answering my newbie questions and apologies if this has been asked before.
Alex

Cupramax

Uber pimp meister
Aug 1, 2001
Not sure what power the 1.9 tdi Leon I had on hire on hols in Majorca last week was but it was flat as a pancake. It had a red Di on the TDi badge. The good thing was the fuel gauge never seemed to move though... I think the pros and cons are generally the 1.9 is more rattly but more economical and the 2.0 is considerably more pokey but you pay for it at the pump.

BeezerDiesel

Minus a Diesel Beezer
Aug 3, 2002
Exeter
Visit site
Having owned more than my fair share of TDIs I think I can comment a little.
The 105PS model is going to struggle to shift the weight of the new Leon a little unless it's fitted with a six speed box(?) to make best use of the torque band.
The 2.0 TDI has a much smoother feel to it than the 1.9, and it revs much more cleanly. Doesn't really go much, if any quicker than the higher powered 1.9s and doesn't have the same torque kick. I find it hard to average over 40mpg in the 2.0, the two 1.9 130s I had both did low forties and the two modified 90bhp non PD TDIs both did high forties mpg albeit in much lighter cars. Not scientific figures, just using a bit of maths and usually the same pump at the same supermarket using the same nasty supermarket Diesel.

sssstew

Editing your spelling
yes the 1.9 in the new leon is the older 8 valve PD TDI where as the new 2L one is a 16v design also. This was mostly done for emmisions reasons though. the extra valves in a diesel dont help as much or in the same way as they do in a petrol.

I think really you need to drive them both and see how you feel with their power output. the 2L should win you over.

hibitdat

Leon FR TDI 150 Plat Grey
Sep 30, 2004
Dorset
Out of interest, unless they badge them differently elsewhere (don't think they do) the one with the red D and I badges on would have been a 2.0 140. The 1.9 105 is not badged as a TDI anywhere. Same goes for the Altea and Toledo.

The 2.0 does seem less frugal than any of the 1.9s, possibly through the tighter emissions regs it has to meet. Delivery in the 140 is also less lusty than the 1.9 150 was. As for the 170, great performance but watch the economy drop!

Cupramax

Uber pimp meister
Aug 1, 2001
Out of interest, unless they badge them differently elsewhere (don't think they do) the one with the red D and I badges on would have been a 2.0 140. The 1.9 105 is not badged as a TDI anywhere. Same goes for the Altea and Toledo.

It was definately a 1.9 ( I had a look to check if they'd forgotten to fit one ;) ) so they do badge 1.9's like that for the Spanish market.

AR-CoolC

Feb 3, 2006
Lincoln
Although on paper the 1.9 is better on fuel economy than the 2.0, in the real world the 2.0 is much better.

I have a 1.9 Leon, and a colleague has a 2.0 Altea, I average around 42-43mpg on mainly high speed A road driving, my colleague with the Altea averages nearer 50mpg doing similar driving. I think it so down to the 2.0 having a 6 speed box.

Although the 1.9 is much noisier at tickover and low speed, I personally think my Leon's engine is quieter at motorway speed than the Altea, but that could be down to car design.

Cheers
Ali

Leonius

Hi Alex,
I have had a 1.9 105 tdi Leon for 6 months and I have driven the 140TDI. Most of my driving is done on the M8 motorway so can barley get above 70 anyway and I can get about 56-58 mpg out it every time.

Personally the only difference I feel between the two how smooth the 2.0 unit is compared to the 1.9. Yes the 1.9 is a little rattly but if you drive in the correct gear and get your timing right it can be quite quick when you want it to be.
Obviously the 2.0l has more torque, more bhp and more valves=VERY SMOOTH power delivery.

I am very happy with my 1.9, and couldn't justify spending the extra money for a 2.0.

Steve221

Workshy Fop.
May 30, 2003
Newcastle
Visit site
Red Di would indicate a 130 BHP diesel unit, if it was flat then then it must have had issues. I drive a 150 BHP 1.9 pd and have been a passenger in a few 130's and there is not a great deal of difference.

As far as I can remember a 2.0 140 bhp engine will have an all silver TDI on the boot (in a new font). And the new 170 has the red DI. I'm guessing they are saving the all red TDI for a 200 BHP variant.

Cupramax

Uber pimp meister
Aug 1, 2001
Red Di would indicate a 130 BHP diesel unit, if it was flat then then it must have had issues. I drive a 150 BHP 1.9 pd and have been a passenger in a few 130's and there is not a great deal of difference.

They dont put the old 1.9 130hp unit in the new Leon :rolleyes: I've done some more digging on the web site for the hire company I used and they are showing it as a 90hp tdi???

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.