Why do the fog lights come on when you reverse with lights on?

HAIRWEGO

NICK...
Jan 18, 2010
Poole, Dorset.
Just wondered what the use this does, now this is very annoying, as when backing into drive, you get the grumpy old neighbors across the road giving funny looks, don't blame them mind you hehehehehehe !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

craigmk6

Mar 6, 2010
leeds
the stupid fogs just make us all look daft but by the looks of it in a few years we will be able to call ourselfs trend setters lol

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Quite handy where I park in the pitch black dark, however it does take the piss when the reverse light is so poor.

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Banbridge, Northern Ireland
Quite handy where I park in the pitch black dark, however it does take the piss when the reverse light is so poor.

Very valid point - the reverse light is totally useless, is there anything that can be done to make it better?

My old mk3 was great, it had two and they were like floodlights. Worse still people keep telling me one of mine has blown, and I'm like "it's only supposed to have 1" Though I do admit it looks like it was designed to have too, but I guess the plus side of that is symmetery, unlike the mk4's which clearly had 1 fog and 1 reverse light

R22 JGB

SEAT Leon FR184 DSG
Aug 29, 2010
Gateshead
Reversing light bulbs are lower wattage and a smaller diameter than the normal 21watt bulb. I've tried but a 21 watt bulb won't fit into the lens, its too big

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
It's similar to the cornering light function they have, they illuminate the front wide of the car so you can see what you're about to swing the fornt of your car into.

re: reverse light, you could get a 5dr, least you get two lights then :lol:

VRSLOZ

Formally SC16v
May 1, 2010
Costa Del Hertfordshire
:lol: my mum had a go at me for this the other day, she said "You complain about when drivers put on their fogs and then you go and do it".

Had to explain to her that it's an automatic function :lol:

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
don't know why it helps you reveres parking, can see help abit so can see on sides, me thinks!!!!!

not everyone reverse parks in a straight line I guess and I would imagine if you were parallel parking on a street it would be handy to help miss the front corner etc

and how many people in the past have lost a trim/wheel turning into a side street clipping an unseen kerb or a pothole ? or scraped a post or the garage wall pulling in at home or a multi story car park ?

think of it as a design evolution that's answered the question to more than a few hassle's in older cars by adapting something already fitted - pretty damn clever if you ask me :clap:

HAIRWEGO

NICK...
Jan 18, 2010
Poole, Dorset.
not everyone reverse parks in a straight line I guess and I would imagine if you were parallel parking on a street it would be handy to help miss the front corner etc

and how many people in the past have lost a trim/wheel turning into a side street clipping an unseen kerb or a pothole ? or scraped a post or the garage wall pulling in at home or a multi story car park ?

think of it as a design evolution that's answered the question to more than a few hassle's in older cars by adapting something already fitted - pretty damn clever if you ask me :clap:

well answered sir........... that must be it....... i can sleep tonight !!!! hehehehe

John33

Oct 12, 2009
Earth
So you jump in the car one dark night reverse out :( what was that bump ? - as the said item can now be clearly seen in from of the car :) all illuminated nicely - well why did the neighbours need two cats anyway :(

Generic

2010 Ibiza FR 2.0 TDi
Nov 16, 2009
Grantham
I use my brakes lights when I reverse so I can actually see; move a bit, tap the brake, move a bit, tap the brake :lol:.

The reverse light is shockingly bad.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
I use my brakes lights when I reverse so I can actually see; move a bit, tap the brake, move a bit, tap the brake :lol:.

probably get a HID reverse lamp and flashing brake lights on the next model then :):)

R22 JGB

SEAT Leon FR184 DSG
Aug 29, 2010
Gateshead

use the rear fogs, 2 x 21 watt bulbs, admittedly it gives a red light but it is better than nowt if you are reversing in pitch dark conditions!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.