whining from bay on acceleration

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
guys... just developed a noticeable whining noise when accelerating, seems to be on boost only, cant really tell. no noise when stationary revving

i know that my maf is knacked, done a few tests.. running 1250 mbar boost, previously at 1450mbar

bhp down from 232 to 212...

running lean as getting 4-5mpg less than before

lumpy acceleration, casued by maf failure i think

bothered with the whining noise... any ideas??

due a service now.

noticeably lack in acceleration, surging is also apparent

whaddya think

cheers

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
right im replacing the maf for the boost problem.

whining
1. power steering pump pulley., power steering creaks now sometimes on full lock.
2. other cam pulleys??
3. water pump?

any other ideas fellas

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
yeah, got the missus to blip the throttle while i listened, she gunned it, nearly blew my feckin ears off.... binned that idea!!!!

im thinkin a pulley bearing... god knows which one like

Dec 6, 2008
Shropshire
use a long screwdriver and put your ear to the handle, the sound transmits up and you can hear it. Make sure once you take your eye off it that you wont slip lol.

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
another thought, sometimes i get a whale like noise on full lock, points towards power steering pump, could this be the cause of the whining.... maybe the pump is on its way out?

will check the reservoir a.m to see the levels...

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
well, discovered the whine isnt there when stoodstill revving engine.

is there when driving through most gears at higher revs.

boost issue sorted with new maf, bhp back to normal... did a throttle body clean and realign aswell.

still stuck on the whining, if it was a pulley then id have thought it would have been there when standing still and revving??

swaying toward gearbox now.

Dec 6, 2008
Shropshire
well, discovered the whine isnt there when stoodstill revving engine.

is there when driving through most gears at higher revs.

boost issue sorted with new maf, bhp back to normal... did a throttle body clean and realign aswell.

still stuck on the whining, if it was a pulley then id have thought it would have been there when standing still and revving??

swaying toward gearbox now.

A quick test to rule out the pulleys driven by the auxilliary belt would be to remove the belt and test it, obviously only a very short run and carefully as you'd lose power steering.

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
would the pulleys not whine when not driving and revving aswell though mate?

ideas so far... clutch bearing... bad
gearbox oil level...
cv joint with no grease in it.

hmm..

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
ill try the stethoscope when it arrives tomorrow, dont fancy taking the belt off really.

well its in on tuesday nxt week to have the quaife fitted so thatll sort the oil theory out, and will see if the bearings of any sort are fooked.