Which leon to buy

Sep 10, 2020
hi all. I'm after a bit of advice. I'm a very happy owner of a 2014 seat leon diesel 150 fr estate 2014, its got nearly 90000 miles on it with me putting nearly 50000 on myself in the last 3 years, overall its been fantastic the only problems I've had in that time have been 2x front wheel bearings and recently a new heater matrix and they've all been after 80000 miles so overall its been good. I'm now looking to change for a lower mileage car and I think I'm going to get another leon, im just not sure which so I'm hoping for a bit of advice. The three im looking at are all £11500ish. And 17 or 67 plate.

The first is a 67 plate leon fr estate 150 diesel with 48000.its a manual and owning one already I know it'll be a good motor

The second is a 67 plate leon fr hatch 125 1.4 petrol with 30000 miles with acc and reversing cam, i do like the idea of acc i do alot of motorway driving

The third and the one I fancy most is a 17 plate leon fr estate 184 with dsg with 50000 miles.

I dont know alot about the last two. Are the big diesel and the little petrol reliable? And is there anything I should check when looking at them? And what are they like to own and is there any issues with a dsg . Reliability is a big thing for me. Thanks in advance

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
I have a 2.0 TDI 184 manual estate. In the time I have owned it (just over 2 years), its been fantastic. Nice strong engine, pulls when you put your foot down, but gets 50+mpg. For me, it is the perfect blend of performance and affordability if you cover miles. Obviously if you want faster, you could get a stage 1 remap. It is plenty enough for me as standard. I went for manual over standard for slightly better mpg and less servicing cost, so cant comment on DSG. The 184 diesel also gets fully independent rear suspension and slightly bigger rear brakes I believe.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
After owning the diesel you will be disappointed with the lack of torque and lesser mpg from the 1.4 TSI so i would discount that straignt off the bat

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
I went from a 140 2.0 TDI to a 150 1.4 TSI and loved the change, that diesel engine had excellent torque but was so heavy it caused a lot of understeer - I wouldn't go for a 125 though, the 150 is only just enough.

Cupra622

May 9, 2020
I had a 184 hatch. Covered 76000 miles in it prior to changing and didn't have a single issue with it at all, short of a couple of dpf notifications on the dash which were my fault..... Great car, grwat engine I loved it. Also with the 184 you get the independant rear suspension and larger brakes which are definately plus points. In I was doing the miles again I would defo look at another one.

Sep 10, 2020
Thanks for your comments i think im leaning towards one of the diesels.

One of the cars is white but has got a black roof and a black strip along the bottom of the doors with fr written on it is this an option you could have done from new or has someone added it after.

The car with the dsg box has not has the gearbox serviced it has now done 45000 miles so 5000 miles ago, is this a bif issue I'd obviously get the dealer to service it for me.

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
It's a £200 problem, but just 5k over the interval isn't a big amount - I'd first try knocking the service cost off the asking price.

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
I have a 2014 FR ST 184 on 103,000 miles and it's really good to drive.

I have had some stuff replaced in the last 6 months (prior to lockdown).
  • 2 rear shocks
  • Cambelt and water pump (electronic water pump failed so had c/b done early at same time)
  • Thermostat and housing (belts and braces as w/p had failed)
  • New heater matrix (fitted myself and saved a fortune)

As has been said - the 184 has bigger brakes and fully ind rear suspension. I had read somewhere else that it had a `stronger` clutch and `better` turbo compared to the 150 version but that's not gospel.

My car has a chip fitted and puts out around 210 to 225 bhp (it has various settings on it). I've done two trips to Wales recently 400 miles and 500 miles and returned 67 and 68 mpg. It was 74mph cruise control in 6th @ 2000rpm most of the way but the chip really helps improve MPG. I get 50-55 on A-roads as well if I'm not pushing it. Great return on a 200+ bhp car.

If you do get the 184 with or withour chip/remap it's pretty good but the chip/remap really makes a difference. Mine kicks in properly around 3000rpm and then gives a good surge of power. That means you can drive it perfectly sensibly but if you put your foot down, it goes. I nearly bought a 150 and glad I got the 184.

No idea about DSG but I know a lot of people like them.

I do change oil and filter on mine every 5,000 miles. The car appreciates it. I originally thought that the 20,000 miles service regime was awesome (I was doing that every year and thought one service a year - thunbs up). However - it does a DPF regen every 180 miles and the oil suffers a bit as a result. Soon had it explained to me that the oil after 20,000 miles in a diesel is pretty grim and regular oil changes are a good thing. I buy 507.00 LL spec oil and a filter and it costs me about £25 to do it myself. My mechanic does the inspection service for me when that is due.

No idea if the newer models have the same heater matrix issue but worth asking. If the ST has been load carrying, the rear shocks might be tired.

Reactions: RichB53
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.