WHats the difference between 1.4 16v 75bhp and 100bhp version?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
What I wanted to know, back in 2002 was, why did VAG not sort out a good 1.6 engine for these cars - it took them years to finally stick in a 1.6. I avoided the 100ps 1.4 as it looked like it would need rev'd a lot - so bought my wife a 75ps 1.4 Polo (was scared of FSI way of building camshafts etc) - well that was a big mistake as her previous car had been a 90ps 1.6 16V Zetec engine Fiesta - and it had low gearing and useful spread of torque. I just did not get it the previous Polo etc used a low powered crap fuel economy 1.6 - and that car was lighter - then enter Polo 9N bigger heavier and biggest petrol engine at launch was 1.4 !!!

g8rvn

Apr 7, 2008
Tamworth, Staffs
A couple of us compared the 75 and the 100 at E38 this year, its more than cams.

The throttle/air inlet thing is bigger, so you would need to change that and the airbox bit that connects to it, there may be other things aswell, but that was a definite.
Tbh, its quite a lot of work/cost for not a massive gain

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
from what i been told,its a completely different engine.. maybe i got it wrong.

I would think that that is correct, okay not many engines of a certain size and type from a manufacturer will be completely totally different - but they might as well be seen as such as you can't simply change the ECU program and/or camshaft to convert from one to the other.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.