Tuning box broke my ECU - Word of caution

Shaady

Jan 25, 2017
Have to say I can't see how the tuning box would have fried the ECU either. If it had been opened to be mapped and not put back together properly which introduces the chance of water getting in then maybe.

From the responses, they clearly have a lot of faith in their product and want to put things right, cant ask for more than that

alper

Feb 28, 2016
When I saw the thread I thought "a box frying the ECU? that shouldn't be technically possible but let's read up, you learn new things every day". Having done just that and realizing the lack of any decent explanation or argument I'm sorry to say that there would probably be more truth in saying "my car had a build week xx and after 6 months it fried the ECU, avoid those BW!" than to this.

What you're saying is: "I had a box on my car and after 6 months the ECU fried itself" but also "I had the same box on a similar car before and it didn't fry it". Also, hundreds of people have the same box on their cars and it hasn't fried any of those either. Now let's think about that for a while and what could (even from a mere statistical pov) be the culprit here... Also, "ECUs with 8K miles don't fry"? ECUs are not a wear n tear item that should last 100 or 200K with good maintenance. They could just as easily last a lifetime (normal case) or don't even make it the first week if you're unfortunate enough to have a bad unit or if an event that can actually affect them (for example voltage related but certainly not a box) takes place, it's just the nature of electronics and sadly, modern cars in general.

To be honest I'm surprised the title still remains unchanged, making such a direct accusation with the certainty of a technical expert that has examined the unit and found actual links between the box and failure, when in fact there is 0 technical information to back it up other than an arbitrary assumption in the spirit of "all I can think of is the box".

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
When I saw the thread I thought "a box frying the ECU? that shouldn't be technically possible but let's read up, you learn new things every day". Having done just that and realizing the lack of any decent explanation or argument I'm sorry to say that there would probably be more truth in saying "my car had a build week xx and after 6 months it fried the ECU, avoid those BW!" than to this.

What you're saying is: "I had a box on my car and after 6 months the ECU fried itself" but also "I had the same box on a similar car before and it didn't fry it". Also, hundreds of people have the same box on their cars and it hasn't fried any of those either. Now let's think about that for a while and what could (even from a mere statistical pov) be the culprit here... Also, "ECUs with 8K miles don't fry"? ECUs are not a wear n tear item that should last 100 or 200K with good maintenance. They could just as easily last a lifetime (normal case) or don't even make it the first week if you're unfortunate enough to have a bad unit or if an event that can actually affect them (for example voltage related but certainly not a box) takes place, it's just the nature of electronics and sadly, modern cars in general.

To be honest I'm surprised the title still remains unchanged, making such a direct accusation with the certainty of a technical expert that has examined the unit and found actual links between the box and failure, when in fact there is 0 technical information to back it up other than an arbitrary assumption in the spirit of "all I can think of is the box".

I posted my experience of a tuning box. People are welcome to do their own research into things and provide their opinion too.

Your post is a little baffling though. You say that there's 0 technical information to back my claims up.

Yet, there's 0 technical information to back yours up either.

1. You didn't experience what I did. You know what I wrote. Not trying to trip you up here, that's just a fact.

2. You admit you've learnt what you wrote in a day, "That shouldn't be technically possible but let's read up, you learn new things every day."

Hilarous. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

3. You haven't provided a single source of viable information, just your own opinion.

4. "I had a box on my car and after 6 months the ECU fried itself" but also "I had the same box on a similar car before and it didn't fry it". "Also, hundreds of people have the same box on their cars and it hasn't fried any of those either."

Correct. I've also banged my wife a thousand times and never snapped by banjo. Then I did. It hurt. A lot. I've also closed my front door thousands of times. I trapped my fingers yesterday.

My point is, your post isn't a forensic analysis of why I'm wrong. I can't take it seriously. What I will take seriously is TDI-Tuning's excellent response to my post. They are doing the right thing in looking after their brand and that's fine by me.

Reactions: ukoldschool

alper

Feb 28, 2016
I posted my experience of a tuning box. People are welcome to do their own research into things and provide their opinion too.

Your post is a little baffling though. You say that there's 0 technical information to back my claims up.

Yet, there's 0 technical information to back yours up either.

1. You didn't experience what I did. You know what I wrote. Not trying to trip you up here, that's just a fact.

2. You admit you've learnt what you wrote in a day, "That shouldn't be technically possible but let's read up, you learn new things every day."

Hilarous. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

3. You haven't provided a single source of viable information, just your own opinion.

4. "I had a box on my car and after 6 months the ECU fried itself" but also "I had the same box on a similar car before and it didn't fry it". "Also, hundreds of people have the same box on their cars and it hasn't fried any of those either."

Correct. I've also banged my wife a thousand times and never snapped by banjo. Then I did. It hurt. A lot. I've also closed my front door thousands of times. I trapped my fingers yesterday.

My point is, your post isn't a forensic analysis of why I'm wrong. I can't take it seriously. What I will take seriously is TDI-Tuning's excellent response to my post. They are doing the right thing in looking after their brand and that's fine by me.

Ehm, I think you've got it very wrong and I hope this is not the way you usually engage in conversations? If I make a statement, any statement but in particular one that is against the norm (boxes don't fry ECUs) I need to support it with some solid argument. The argument can not be "I say X is right and my argument is that where is your argument that says otherwise?" as you're trying to do here. I don't need to provide any more technical information other than what is known and was stated already: that the voltage tinkering of the boxes is not able to fry an ECU (if you are still skeptical over this you can study some basic electronics, don't ask me to prove Ohm laws here) and that so many people running them (including yourself) have never had such a problem. That should have been enough for you to question the admittedly weak "explanation" from the VW tech and maybe look up other causes that played their part. The comical analogies of hurting yourself during intercourse or smashing your fingers only prove a user error from your side, not a failure of the wife or the door surely so another own-goal there.

And yes it's possible to learn new things every day, but certainly not everything I know was learned in a day (common reasoning is sitting in a corner, absolutely terrified at that conclusion).

At the end of the day though, you can just ignore everyone here and stick to whatever cause of failure sounds easier to comprehend and accept, box, weather, fate are all good alternatives since no interest in discussing actual facts is shown .

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Ehm, I think you've got it very wrong and I hope this is not the way you usually engage in conversations? If I make a statement, any statement but in particular one that is against the norm (boxes don't fry ECUs) I need to support it with some solid argument. The argument can not be "I say X is right and my argument is that where is your argument that says otherwise?" as you're trying to do here. I don't need to provide any more technical information other than what is known and was stated already: that the voltage tinkering of the boxes is not able to fry an ECU (if you are still skeptical over this you can study some basic electronics, don't ask me to prove Ohm laws here) and that so many people running them (including yourself) have never had such a problem. That should have been enough for you to question the admittedly weak "explanation" from the VW tech and maybe look up other causes that played their part. The comical analogies of hurting yourself during intercourse or smashing your fingers only prove a user error from your side, not a failure of the wife or the door surely so another own-goal there.

And yes it's possible to learn new things every day, but certainly not everything I know was learned in a day (common reasoning is sitting in a corner, absolutely terrified at that conclusion).

At the end of the day though, you can just ignore everyone here and stick to whatever cause of failure sounds easier to comprehend and accept, box, weather, fate are all good alternatives since no interest in discussing actual facts is shown .

That's your opinion. Peace out.

Reactions: Walone
May 20, 2024
I will write what happened to me and you draw your own conclusions,-
BMW 520D MHEV 2023.07 with 9.494km
After connecting the tdi box according to the instructions, the car drove 19 km, after 19 km, black smoke from the exhaust pipe, emergency mode and the car does not start. Unplugging the box did not help, reconnecting all the original connections, the car still does not start. Due to the fact that it is a BMW, it had to be taken to a BMW service center on a tow truck. After conducting an investigation, BMW found total damage, the DPF filter was clogged, the repair cost was EUR 2,800 (the parts excluding labor) at the beginning and they said that this was not the end, possible that there would be something more.
Before you connect any inventions to your car, think carefully, I will never do it again and I will never trust this tdi tuning company

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.