Thinking of returning to the darkside

pbirkett

Jun 17, 2004
Newcastle
pbirkett.blogspot.com
Hi all,

I dont know if any of you on here remember me, I guess probably not as I was not a big poster here and I actually owned a Skoda not a Seat.

However I am thinking of returning to the sooty side, I have not made my mind up yet and that is why I am here, to see if anyone here can give me some insight.

OK, to briefly tell you how I arrived back here, back in 2004 I bought a Skoda Fabia vRS, a car which I did like, but frustrated me in some respects, in that it was a rather heavy old beast, not all that quick (but mine was standard), and not as economical as I had kind of hoped it would be.

I ended up getting rid of it, and to cut a long story short, today I am driving a Japanese Import, a Honda Integra Type R. Let me say that I really do like this car a lot, its fast, it sounds wonderful, and it handles superbly.

So why am I here, you might ask? The problem is, it is just too addictive to drive, and I end driving it a LOT.

Basically, it is costing me a bloody fortune. Ironic really, because its not actually that expensive on the grand scale of things. However, I have over the years got myself into £13,000 of debt and my teg is really the only asset that I have of any real value to help get rid of the debt, and thats only worth probably £6,500!

While I love the way it looks, and like the way it drives, there are other things about it that are starting to grate.

Its a very focused car, which is great when you are in the mood, but becomes somewhat wearing when you arent. Its very noisy, no point in having a good stereo (4,200 RPM @ 70 mph, no soundproofing, lots of tyre noise). It needs to be revved hard to make good progress. Its not as bad as most people make VTEC engines out to be, but making even modestly rapid progress involves revving to just under 6000 RPM, which to be fair to a Honda B18 engine, isnt actually thrashing it, so its deceptive in a way.

Main bad points for me though are its running costs. Fuel economy is around 25 MPG around town and on the B-roads, although with enough determination, a B-road blast can return mid-teens MPG. Not only that, but insurance is over £800 a year.

Now normally, I wouldnt mind this, but considering I am paying my debts off at a rate of £350 a month, to have to do almost 15,000 miles a year in a car that does 25 MPG, with a thirst for V-Power, which is 8p a litre more, and to have to pay over £70 a month insurance is starting to take its toll on me, particularly as the only time I feel like I have fun in it is when I go out specifically on a B-road blast, because to be honest it aint much fun the rest of the time.

It is an eye catching car, but it also attracts some rather unwanted attention too... I have had one or two threats made against it in the last few months by idiotic plebs who are obviously jealous, and the amount of boy racers who think you are up for a race can also be a little tiresome when you arent in the mood.

I now notice that 2003 shape Ibiza TDI Sport 130 can now be had for £5-£6k.

My mate who was a member on here (geordiesherman) had one, and he had his remapped, and the performance was very impressive for a dag dag, much faster than my standard Fabia vRS was.

Now, I love cars, and it pains me to even consider getting rid of the teg after 9 months, but ultimately i need to clear my debts ASAP, and in some ways I am starting to get a little bored of driving anyway, but not so much that I want a slow, crappy car.

One thing about my mates TDI Sport was it didnt really handle well, and the brakes were crap.

I am assuming these cars can be made to handle reasonably well though? I am not really after handling as good as an ITR, because quite simply, its not going to happen, but as long as it can be hustled around corners in a fun manner, and also stop without the brakes fading, then I will be happy enough. I think I would miss the engine note of the teg, but I wont miss it day to day having to rev the knackers off it all the time when I aint in the mood, and the torquey TDI engines have their own rewards with a good shove in the back.

So, I was thinking, a TDI Sport for maybe £5,500, some Eibach springs to lower it, 312 mm discs and calipers from the Golf / Audi, and a reasonable remap should give me a 170ish BHP car with lots of torque that should be a reasonable performer in most respects while giving 50 MPG day to day, does this sound reasonable?

CUP-RACING

Feb 13, 2007
ah the integra type R, what a wonderful piece of engineering this car is.
My mate has one and on cam it sounds almost touring car like.

I think if your in debt getting rid of your car which wont depreciate much and buying something that will and then spending even more money on it to make it fun doesn't make financial sense.

If its really burning a whole in your pocket just nip it in the bud and buy a really cheap slow car for a bit. I know you dont want this but this surely is the reality.

Last edited:

pbirkett

Jun 17, 2004
Newcastle
pbirkett.blogspot.com
Yes thats the thing isnt it.... and the thing is I *can* afford to keep it, but obviously I could pay my debt off quicker if I didnt have the running costs, but then after all of that, as you say, the depreciation will have cost me.

I think part of the problem is, I seem to like changing cars a lot. The ITR has given me a headache though, because anything thats an upgrade in terms of capability costs a lot more money than it cost.

Maybe I should just buy some earplugs for when I aint in the mood :D

pbirkett

Jun 17, 2004
Newcastle
pbirkett.blogspot.com
Oh, in case anyone is interested, here is my slag.

teg5.jpg

CUP-RACING

Feb 13, 2007
that is amazing mate, I would really love one of them and they have more power than the uk ones.
:drool:

pbirkett

Jun 17, 2004
Newcastle
pbirkett.blogspot.com
Yeah thats true, I do like it, saying that, I had some saxo up my chuff today and I was struggling to pull any gap at all on it. God knows what he had under the bonnet.

To be honest, its not THAT fast, i suspect your cupra would probably be about as fast, but its the way it does it that makes it special, it sounds awesome and feels faster than it is.

I've not made any decisions yet, I have a few ideas floating around in my head. This was one such idea. Another idea was a cheap TDI banger for work and something like a turbocharged MX5 for the weekend. And another was to just keep this one. Cant make me mind up.

CUP-RACING

Feb 13, 2007
yeah its pretty difficult, I was in the same boat as you. I used to own a subaru impreza and was buying a house so I decided to sell it and buy a cheaper car. a toyota celica this was a good idea at first but it got boring and to be honest didn't cost much less so I was back to getting a performance car but I had lost a fair bit of money from the car swap so in the end it actually made no financial sense.

My point is if you changed you would regret it so maybe a 70mpg banger runaround is a good idea and keep the teg for the b road thrashes

Poverty

The cheapest solution would be either to sell and buy a 1 grand reliable banger, or to keep the teg.

villain24

RIPPER
Nov 20, 2006
Cup you mention you had an impreza before. I was thinking of getting one at the moment but just realised it defo wouldn't make financial sence. Is your cupra as much fun as the scooby?

pbirkett

Jun 17, 2004
Newcastle
pbirkett.blogspot.com
Yep, I guess you lads are right.

I've already lost quite a bit of money on cars lately. I got my Fabia vRS for £12k brand new. Kept it a year. Lost £2k (could have been worse). Then got an old Golf GTI Mk2, cost me £950, sold it 6 months later on ebay and got a paltry £400 for it, so lost £550 on that (it was knackered though). Then got a Clio 182, cost me £10,500 at the time, sold it for £7k, so lost £3,500 on that in just less than 18 months. I spent about £7,500 on the teg after getting it sorted for an alarm, etc, and i know if i sold it now privately it would go for around £6,500 if i was patient, and if i were to trade it in, i suspect i'd be lucky to get £6k for it, so would lose £1,500 in less than 9 months.

Not really very good at this stuff am I? :D

No wonder I'm in debt, lol.

I think I am probably just going to keep it, unless I can find an appropriately good MX5 Turbo for more or less a straight swap, and when I say appropriately good I mean one with plenty of power, a good colour (white or black) and with a decent bodykit on to make it look a bit more manly :D

Think my problem is I get bored too easily, and to hell with consequences.

CUP-RACING

Feb 13, 2007
Cup you mention you had an impreza before. I was thinking of getting one at the moment but just realised it defo wouldn't make financial sence. Is your cupra as much fun as the scooby?

yeah definately, I had a uk classic scoob with 220bhp and the ibiza definately gives me a bigger rush (i have mine remapped), its just not quite as good on the bumpy B roads and in the wet.

I do miss the conradery of having a scooby though with everyone waving to you.

sssstew

Editing your spelling
i remember it all Paul :)

if you want to get out of that debt then i agree with above, sell the teg and get a cheap 1 lite run around, clear the debt asap then once on a level ground with regards to debt you can then start to look at getting something you want again.

oedo

Been in the same boat as well. I bought a Volvo S60 D5 about 9 months ago as luxo barge for commuting to work (35K+ a year) but the reality of owning and running a premium car as opposed to just buying it cheap soon became apparent. Once remapped it ate tyres for breakfast (350lb/ft torque) and parts were daylight robbery. Cost £350 to have a cracked headlight replaced to pass the MOT!!!

I was gutted to see it go in the end as it was the most comfortable, classy car I've ever had but just not financialy viable and so swapped it last month for exactly what you're after... an '02 130 tdi sport all ready upgraded with 312mm brakes, eibach kit and a remap. So far it's been easy going and I certainly notice the difference in my wallet. £60 for 6 months tax, 60+mpg on a commute and £120 for 2 toyos are the only outlays I've made so far. There's a LOT of tyre noise and not much confort on the eibachs but the handling is interesting as a result. Doesn't feel that quick but certainly great for overtaking and making decent progress as well. In terms of performance vs econmony I don't think you'll regret it. But certainly do everything you can to reduce your debt capital. Everytime you do there'll be less interest to accrue.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
So, I was thinking, a TDI Sport for maybe £5,500, some Eibach springs to lower it, 312 mm discs and calipers from the Golf / Audi, and a reasonable remap should give me a 170ish BHP car with lots of torque that should be a reasonable performer in most respects while giving 50 MPG day to day, does this sound reasonable?
Sounds bang on to me. I covered over 80,000 miles in an 03 TDI Sport with those mods.

Remember, the earlier TDI Sports had a few more goodies - extra gauges, and other things I can't think of right now. Ah yes - engine covers, the plastic underbody protection, 8 speakers, etc etc

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.