"service" comes up on the dash - what kind of service are we talking about here?

itfben

DsignVinyl.com
Oct 24, 2009
nr. Tunbridge Wells
When I put the key in an turn the car on (not start the engine) "service" comes up on the dash. when I start the car it disappears.

Iv just bought the car is a 1.6S is a W reg (2000) Leon with 58.5K on the clock.

What sort of service is it likely to need, cam belt done twice i think, appartently one was not logged but the other was logged in the service history book at 44K i think (theres also a sticker confirming this under on the engine)

I think i need an oil change, the brake FEEL ok/good maybe the handbrake comes up a bit high though. but i dont know what a 58K service is supposed to consist of.

Any help would help.

Im sure i could manage to do and oil & oil filter change myself so interested what else needs doing. plus if i do that myself how do i get the service light to go off if that was all it needs.

Cheers,

Don Eason

Feb 19, 2010
cheers for the link but is that it? air filter, pollen filter, oil filter and fuel filter?

that and the oil change... and other fluids like brake/clutch/coolant/anti freeze (just check to make sure they are all topped up) etc

if the cambelt was done recently was the water pump changed also?

you could also replace the coolant temp sensor (only cost a few £) whilst you are at it... esp if its got a black top on it...

Last edited:

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Service interval is 10,000 miles so you are approaching a 60K service.

Oil change service every 10K
- change oil and filter
- check brake pads and disks

Full service every 20K or 12 months, whichever comes first
- change pollen filter
+ check lights, tyres, wipers, "fan belt", toothed belt, steering, driveshaft gaiters
+ levels in gearbox, coolant, hydraulic fluid, power steering, 4wd, screenwasher

Additional items
every 40K,
- change spark plugs (petrol engines)
- change air filter
- change fuel filter (diesel engines)

every 2 years
- change hydraulic fluid

every 60K or 5 years
- change toothed belt (diesel engines)

itfben

DsignVinyl.com
Oct 24, 2009
nr. Tunbridge Wells
Service interval is 10,000 miles so you are approaching a 60K service.

Oil change service every 10K
- change oil and filter
- check brake pads and disks

Full service every 20K or 12 months, whichever comes first
- change pollen filter
+ check lights, tyres, wipers, "fan belt", toothed belt, steering, driveshaft gaiters
+ levels in gearbox, coolant, hydraulic fluid, power steering, 4wd, screenwasher

Additional items
every 40K,
- change spark plugs (petrol engines)
- change air filter
- change fuel filter (diesel engines)

every 2 years
- change hydraulic fluid

every 60K or 5 years
- change toothed belt (diesel engines)

cheers buddy.

Deleted member 48395

I was under the impression that the toothed belt was due to 60k for petrols too?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members