Seat Leon ST FR 1.5 TSI 150HP PROBLEMS

Dec 21, 2019
Hi!

For the last three years I've been driving a Seat Ibiza and I absolutely love it. The time has come though to switch to a bigger car.

Last week I went to go check out the Leon ST FR and I really liked what I saw. After doing some Googeling I stumbeled upon a lot of people who had problems with the new 1.5 TSI engine.

Is there anybody here that has had any problems with their car? I'm looking to get a manual.

Thanks!

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
Hi!

For the last three years I've been driving a Seat Ibiza and I absolutely love it. The time has come though to switch to a bigger car.

Last week I went to go check out the Leon ST FR and I really liked what I saw. After doing some Googeling I stumbeled upon a lot of people who had problems with the new 1.5 TSI engine.

Is there anybody here that has had any problems with their car? I'm looking to get a manual.

Thanks!

I wouldn't worry about it, if its a good car go for it.

With any car, the people with problems are going to be more vocal and easy to find but will be the minority.. People who don't have issues don't go around posting about how they haven't had a problem do they! :)

Reactions: alnsaz and LR231998

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
As above, every car will have its issues. Some “problems” are more of a personal opinionated thing, and if you do get any issues I have had great warranty service from the 3 SEAT dealers I have been to. (Again the same applies to dealers warranty work etc, you only hear about bad experiences)

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I don't know the details but I've heard a few whispers saying that the 1.4 was a better engine than the 1.5 that has replaced it. True? No idea.

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
I don't know the details but I've heard a few whispers saying that the 1.4 was a better engine than the 1.5 that has replaced it. True? No idea.
I have also heard that but then there’s also going to be many saying the 1.5 is better.... it’s all opinion/ saturated information where you only ever see one side (of either opinion)

Reactions: Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
.... it’s all opinion/ saturated information where you only ever see one side

Yip. It's quite hard to figure out what the reality is amongst all the noise. My take would be that it's often not a good idea to be an early adopter as that's when the tend to occur. Car manufacturers often develop engines incrementally to try and avoid big disasters but when they introduce new tech, run away!

Reactions: LR231998

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
The 1.5 only has minor engineering tweaks over the 1.4, I could have waited a few weeks to have the newer engine but decided the changes were too minor.

So, if they are essentially the same then only software differences can explain the kangaroo symptoms people report on the 1.5, which should be easily fixable - although I thought I'd read a fix was already rolling out with servicing?

Incidentally, my early experience of the 1.4 was quite poor, the clutch seems designed to suddenly dump instead of smoothly release - so the car kept stalling and getting the revs just right was a real pita.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Incidentally, my early experience of the 1.4 was quite poor, the clutch seems designed to suddenly dump instead of smoothly release....

Sounds like a fault. Driven a few Leons and none have been like that. Clutch is fine and very similar on all the cars I've driven.

I've driven a facelift and pre-facelift 150 FR back to back and in my opinion it's one of the weakest facelifts I've seen. The differences are either so slight they're relevant or are things you actively don't want.

Reactions: LR231998

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I think that the clutch issue will happen more to people coming from a bigger normally asperated petrol engine or even a diesel turbocharged engine to a smaller turbo charged petrol engine. So in most cases will only be a need to rethink driving slightly.

Where or if there has been a S/W update for these 1.5TSI engines, the newer version or issue will already be in new build cars - unless some have been waiting for 6 months to sell after manufacture - seems the 150PS ones were more prone to this drivability issue from reading many posts across the VW Group motoring forums. I have a friend with a May 2018 VW T-Roc 1.5TSI 150PS 6MT and that car has no drivability issues, same for a friend of my wife who has a November 2017 VW Golf 130PS 6MT.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I think that the clutch issue will happen more to people coming from a bigger normally asperated petrol engine or even a diesel turbocharged engine to a smaller turbo charged petrol engine.

We have a TDi and the 1.4 petrol. The two clutches feel identical.

Fozzy84

Apr 23, 2012
The 1.5 Kangaroo issues, weren't on every car.. there is now a fix for them anyway.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Sounds like a fault. Driven a few Leons and none have been like that. Clutch is fine and very similar on all the cars I've driven.

I've driven a facelift and pre-facelift 150 FR back to back and in my opinion it's one of the weakest facelifts I've seen. The differences are either so slight they're relevant or are things you actively don't want.
The facelift is far superior in every single way ;)

Nicer lights front and rear
Nicer bumpers
Nicer infotainment screen
Nicer grilles
Nicer alloys (18’s)
Nicer steering wheel

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
The facelift is far superior in every single way ;)

Nicer lights front and rear
Nicer bumpers
Nicer infotainment screen
Nicer grilles
Nicer alloys (18’s)
Nicer steering wheel

It was the FR I drove and the steering wheel looked the same?

You also get the electric handbrake, light up FR logo on the door sill plates and....not much else.

And I disagree about the wheels. I think the pre-facelift 18'' alloys were nicer.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
It was the FR I drove and the steering wheel looked the same?

You also get the electric handbrake, light up FR logo on the door sill plates and....not much else.

And I disagree about the wheels. I think the pre-facelift 18'' alloys were nicer.
I think the facelift got piano black insert and the pre-fl got a dark grey?

they are mild changes yes. But thats generally what a facelift is. Subtle enough but still an upgrade. Enough to keep the punters interested.

the newest one the Black Edition (run out model) when the new FR comes out for the mk4 the spec will be nowhere near that of the black edition mk3, then they will slowly introduce all these extra bits of kit and by the time 2025 comes and the mk5 is about to come out it will be back upto the spec of the mk3 black edition fr

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland

What?? It was the combined effect of crappy clutches in newer models and initial low end torque in smaller turbo charged petrol engines that I was meaning - neither of the engine types you quoted in response to my posting have these 2 "weaknesses".

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I think the facelift got piano black insert and the pre-fl got a dark grey?

Yes, you're right. The older SE has gloss black and I always thought it odd as it looks better than the grey in the FR.

Basically, there is nothing in the facelift that you'd miss if you didn't have it. It's all pretty trivial and cheap stuff, except the electric handbrake which I actively don't want. Even the wheels look worse.

Most facelifts get a new dashboard and/or some proper upgrades to the interior quality, none of that. No suspension improvements. A 'new' engine that's near identical to the old one. Bumper changes few people would notice. Honestly, just a waste of time as far as I'm concerned.

Compare that to the Ibiza facelift in 2015. Much better suspension, infotainment system and better quality dash. Much nicer grill. Well worth having.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Yes, you're right. The older SE has gloss black and I always thought it odd as it looks better than the grey in the FR.

Basically, there is nothing in the facelift that you'd miss if you didn't have it. It's all pretty trivial and cheap stuff, except the electric handbrake which I actively don't want. Even the wheels look worse.

Most facelifts get a new dashboard and/or some proper upgrades to the interior quality, none of that. No suspension improvements. A 'new' engine that's near identical to the old one. Bumper changes few people would notice. Honestly, just a waste of time as far as I'm concerned.

Compare that to the Ibiza facelift in 2015. Much better suspension, infotainment system and better quality dash. Much nicer grill. Well worth having.
newer is better FACT

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.