Roll Cages (OMP)

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Once again this topic appears!

Does anyone know or fitted one of the OMP cages

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OMP-Rear-Bolt...yZ100918QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

I know they not FIA approved but just want a bit of safety for track use, it does say "show cage" but made out of the same material as their racing cages. Two of my mates got these fitting in thier 106 & saxo and look up for the job... are these easy to fit (straight bolt in) or gonna be a bit of custom work/welding involved?

Or does anyone know anyone selling a Rockingham one?

F2 Stu

I. Am. Legend.
Oct 4, 2001
Crawley, UK
Visit site
Normally you have to fabricate 'feet' for the cage to bolt to which is welded to the shell, normally these feet are made from 2mm+ steel and roughley 100mm square in contact area.

mk3 cage does fit as mine is an ex rockingham one, or should I say made to fit

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
They do need plates? Because when i was looking at these OMP ones in a 106 & saxo (same cage) all they did was bolt them straight in and no welded plates were needed.

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Just emailed Custom Cages so gonna wait to see how much it will cost for the cage and them to fit it to! Just had a word with the rents and they gonna put £100 towards it for a xmas pressie so thats all santa is bring me this year lol.

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
I don't mind if it's not FIA approved, I'm just interested in track days not rallying in the Wales GB lol.

Still mind nice to know! :)

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Not the dimma kits now! They omp cages.... even tho it's not fia approved and states "omp show cage" it's still made out of the same steel as the "racing cages".

imo a roll cage in a 106/saxo is probably the best idea!!!

F2 Stu

I. Am. Legend.
Oct 4, 2001
Crawley, UK
Visit site
well at work theyre building an FIA Approved rollcage. According to the FIA it has to have 3mm thick feet covering 5 square inches. Thats what conforms to FIA standards... or so im lead to believe

Was nearly right:), my install is made from 3mm thick plate and fully seam welded

DSCF0006.jpg

DSCF0004.jpg

DSCF0007.jpg

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
ah ok fair play sorry mate.. Just remember seeing quite a few show cages is 106s that looked pretty lethal!!!

Sorry if that post sounded a bit b1tching, didn't mean it... doing 5 things at once lol.

Yea know what you mean by the show cages, thats why i've changed my mind about the dimma one I have sittin in my bedroom.... well I had it cheap so can make some cash off it hehe.

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Stu.... whats the weight of the cage anyway? Striping the car in idea of less weight but then fit a cage.... but something that increases saftey gotta be worth it i guess!

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
when I had erm three rockingham cages in my shed (and one in the car) I'd say they're about 20kg rear section, and prbably the same again for a front section.

that OMP one is 'ok' and better than the show crap - but will still need securing properly

F2 Stu

I. Am. Legend.
Oct 4, 2001
Crawley, UK
Visit site
Stu.... whats the weight of the cage anyway? Striping the car in idea of less weight but then fit a cage.... but something that increases saftey gotta be worth it i guess!

and makes the shell more rigid, instantly hannded alot better too

yeah the cage pretty much displaced what I took out but theres still more fat to trim from it yet

ryderf3

Aug 13, 2007
How much are the OMP show cages? I paid £360 for a FIA sparco which came with the plates etc. That weighs 26kg. Did have to buy extra bolts for fixing though [:@]

Sorry Just seen the link. For an extra £100 may as well get an FIA one.

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.