Robbie C's Ibiza Cupra

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
:) Thanks, I had intended to even spray the bonnet to make it look completely OE but once fitted I liked it as it was. I'm over in Swindon

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
That's cool - PM me your number and we'll sort something out for when it's all back together and running again.

Quick update, I've now picked up my overbored block and ported/polished head which means we've now got everything needed to get it back in one piece again. Dale will be making a start later this week, starting with a lick of VHT satin/matt black paint on the block :)

Few pics:

Fully built ported/polished cylinder head back from JNL:
WP_000116.jpg

Overbored block:
WP_000117.jpg

WP_000118.jpg

Cylinder 1:
WP_000119.jpg

Cylinder 2:
WP_000120.jpg

Cylinder 3:
WP_000121.jpg

Cylinder 4:
WP_000122.jpg

More updates to follow later this week.

INA

Garrett Super STAR!
Dec 8, 2007
www.inaengineering.com
i will have to disagree.
no matter
I will have to disagree with your disagreeing and agree with alex and the rest. There are situations / builds were a small port cylinder head does indeed shine and we have the dyno data to prove it. :D
All I am waiting on is testing of some camshafts and then an entire thread goes up. I know everyone keeps waiting for us to compile the data but whenever we do everyone does benefit.

As for Ferrea vs Supertech. No offense to you JP , or anyone but we have rebuilt and sold close to 300 supertech 1.8T valvetrain kits from 2004? onward. The choice to supply Ferrea is not from a quality stand point but more from a quality control standpoint. If there is one thing I have learnt in my years of running INA is that supply a cheaper product always has its downs....ALWAYS. With ferrea , whenever the customer gets the parts we do not get any emails such as :

"hey issam , is there is a reason why my valves are cut differently"

or
"Do you know why half my valves are single groove and why half are triple groove"?

Supertech knows about these issues and it was us (INA) that pointed out to them these issues. If you want to supply your customers with there products be my guest but I would imagine an individual like yourself would be the first to showcase to the world problems with ones products (unless you have not sold enough kits to experience these issues). Whatever the case , when a customer of ours gets a box that says "Ferrea" on it , they are usually very happy and a few months later we get an email say thanks for the amazing products.

When it comes to valvetrain components Ferrea trumps all.

IbizaAlex

AKS tuning
May 11, 2008
Bedford
JP has never mentioned to me about the supertech vs ferrea thing and flowing better etc.

When I fitted my single collet supertechs there was a couple of collets that didnt fit as they were made incorrectly.

Otherwise ive never had an issue with either brand, but the ferrea's always seem to be easier to get hold of.

Any new pics of the build then Rob?

joehirth

Rate me up baby
Apr 19, 2010
Woking, Surrey
www.facebook.com
Phil, depending on how long you wait I will be porting a spare AYP I have here at home in the future. Might be good for comparisons. If not then I think the thread which Issam is developing will be a good read. If I were you and you hadn't been convinced by either option yet I would just watch this space first.

Joe

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
I will have to disagree with your disagreeing and agree with alex and the rest. There are situations / builds were a small port cylinder head does indeed shine and we have the dyno data to prove it. :D
All I am waiting on is testing of some camshafts and then an entire thread goes up. I know everyone keeps waiting for us to compile the data but whenever we do everyone does benefit.

As for Ferrea vs Supertech. No offense to you JP , or anyone but we have rebuilt and sold close to 300 supertech 1.8T valvetrain kits from 2004? onward. The choice to supply Ferrea is not from a quality stand point but more from a quality control standpoint. If there is one thing I have learnt in my years of running INA is that supply a cheaper product always has its downs....ALWAYS. With ferrea , whenever the customer gets the parts we do not get any emails such as :

"hey issam , is there is a reason why my valves are cut differently"

or
"Do you know why half my valves are single groove and why half are triple groove"?

Supertech knows about these issues and it was us (INA) that pointed out to them these issues. If you want to supply your customers with there products be my guest but I would imagine an individual like yourself would be the first to showcase to the world problems with ones products (unless you have not sold enough kits to experience these issues). Whatever the case , when a customer of ours gets a box that says "Ferrea" on it , they are usually very happy and a few months later we get an email say thanks for the amazing products.

When it comes to valvetrain components Ferrea trumps all.

JP has never mentioned to me about the supertech vs ferrea thing and flowing better etc.

When I fitted my single collet supertechs there was a couple of collets that didnt fit as they were made incorrectly.

Otherwise ive never had an issue with either brand, but the ferrea's always seem to be easier to get hold of.

Any new pics of the build then Rob?

Thanks Issam, Alex and Bill for your continued input and help on this one, both inside and outside of this thread. I'm interested to hear everyone's perspective on this, especially if it can help others make informed decisions about their own builds. It's a pity JP doesn't have an account to comment for himself :)

I'm hoping that for my long term intended power goals then a ported smallport will offer the best level of efficiency and performance for my particular setup. If there's concrete evidence that can be posted to back this up then all the better.

My trusty technician Dale has been spending his spare evenings this week getting the engine built back up, with the pistons, rods and crank now bolted together with all new bearings and my ARP mains stud kit - double and triple checking all required torque settings. Pictures to follow soon, though here's a couple from last week when fitting the rings, with my new JE pistons alongside my IE rods.

WP_000126.jpg

WP_000127.jpg

We've also taken delivery of most of the final bits and pieces needed to make a complete car again, including new oil pump, metal impellor water pump, OE cambelt kit (w/ tensioner), 10 litres of Millers 10w40 Competition Running In mineral oil and 10 litres of Silkolene/FUCHS Pro-S

All being well the engine ought to be built back up over the bank holiday weekend, pretty much ready to slot back into place next week.

While I think of it - here's a few pictures of one of the worst affected intake valve guides that were recovered from my cylinder head by JP, where it's possible to see how it's worn along one side evenly down the entire length of the guide :confused:

WP_000162.jpg

WP_000163.jpg

WP_000166.jpg

WP_000168.jpg

Answers on a postcard as to what's actually caused this.

Last edited:

joehirth

Rate me up baby
Apr 19, 2010
Woking, Surrey
www.facebook.com
Nice TV ;) got no idea as to why it has worn so irregularly. Almost seems as if it wasn't seated properly but then I don't see how that happened either as the valve would of been fairly tight in the middle when they were new... hmm

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
we will see the difference in spec next time its here on dyno.. and we can compare logs to a stock largeport equivalent........ ;)

I too have dyno's which convince me I know such things too :p

joehirth

Rate me up baby
Apr 19, 2010
Woking, Surrey
www.facebook.com
I know that Wak said it's criminal when you run a map, which is mapped for meth, and it runs out. He installs low level alarms and warnings when the tank is getting low. I think on his TT he even has a different map for when he does run out.

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
I know that Wak said it's criminal when you run a map, which is mapped for meth, and it runs out. He installs low level alarms and warnings when the tank is getting low. I think on his TT he even has a different map for when he does run out.

It's true that it needs to be monitored closely otherwise serious damage can be caused, I have low level sensors but still got caught out once when the pump seized up, I use the liquid gauge to monitor it now and have a map with reduced timing in case it fooks up, still it's not fool proof, Ideally you want a WMI system that can recognize a problem and retard the engine, not sure if this type pf system is out there though.

IbizaAlex

AKS tuning
May 11, 2008
Bedford
The AEM system will show errors if there are any issues in the system inc failed pumps. Also has a switched earth that can be hooked up to a relay or scramble modes on boost controllers if the pump runs low or maybe if there are errors (i cant remember).

May 6, 2009
Northallerton, N yorks
Love coming in to read this thread, so much discussion and research. Looking forward to end result, we built an engine not so long ago to similar spec, 1.85, ported smallport etc but with supertech valves. He's also running hybrid ko4, not sure how hes getting on with having it run in and mapped but would be good for comparison against wellys hybrid ko4.

Looking forward to seeing the next update Robbie

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
The AEM system will show errors if there are any issues in the system inc failed pumps. Also has a switched earth that can be hooked up to a relay or scramble modes on boost controllers if the pump runs low or maybe if there are errors (i cant remember).

yep.. its got a 1.7A rated output which can drive a solenoid/relay to drop boost in event of low level or failure mode..
AEM is a much better WMI kit than the others I have previously used.

it gets my vote

joehirth

Rate me up baby
Apr 19, 2010
Woking, Surrey
www.facebook.com
yep.. its got a 1.7A rated output which can drive a solenoid/relay to drop boost in event of low level or failure mode..
AEM is a much better WMI kit than the others I have previously used.

it gets my vote

What's the cost implications with the AEM kit though, over others? Personally I'd prefer to spend the money and have something that isn't risking damage to an engine, although some people's views may differ.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise