Robbie C's Ibiza Cupra

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
While over at the ring I noticed some scouring marks developing on the outer lip of my HiSpec bells, which turns out to be caused by the backing plate of my brake pads fouling on the bell and wearing it away! :wtf:

As the pads have only just become half worn then it's only now the backing plates are touching the bell and causing an issue, in my eyes making the car dangerous to drive any further until this is sorted:

IMG_0133.jpg

I've been on the phone to HiSpec to report the problem and request new bells and pads, who seem to think that because the kit was sold in March 2009 their standard 12 month warranty has expired and I should be expected to pay for any necessary replacement parts... :rolleyes:

They also feel that because I have continued to drive the car after noticing the problem this indemnifies them, though I'm not sure how else I was supposed to get home from Germany..?

I explained that the brake kit, was supplied with these pads and installed by a qualified BMW technician according to HiSpecs own installation instructions. Surely this is a clear design flaw and I have been sold a kit unfit for purpose? Bearing in mind these cost me nearly £1100 I am less than amused right now.

In my eyes, HiSpec should have supplied a kit that did not require any modification to fit, or if the pad backing plates need filing back to prevent this fouling then proper instructions should have been provided to make me aware from the offset.

I don't see how the fact that the problem has only manifested itself now as the pads have become half-worn that this qualifies as warranty, or even legal exemption. As the bells are now nearly worn back as far as the rotor mounting bolts I'm forced to leave it garaged until replacement parts have been sent out, which I am not willing to pay for.

This afternoon they discussed they might be able to arrange a "discounted price" for replacement parts but am I feel if they do not front the entire costs I should pursue legal proceedings, not to mention adverse publicity on here. Brakes are not something you mess around with ffs.

So what do people think... am I within my rights to insist they front the bill?

_chris_

Jul 6, 2008
in the car
41 laps?! That's a good effort, fair play. Bad news on the RS, must leave a bitter taste when it's not even your fault :(

yeah he really goes for it. lol.

was abit anoying for him especially as he had just spent a shed load putting a cage in it and alot of other bits.

saw the octavia driving round the town thought it was with you lot

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
That seems pretty clear to me that it is a design flaw that can only be recognised after wear. Therefore it still should be there responsibility to replace them... You could defiantly take matters further as it a question of safety...

Yeah that's my opinion too. I'll be chasing again later today to see what their latest stance is so we'll see, watch this space...

yeah he really goes for it. lol.

was abit anoying for him especially as he had just spent a shed load putting a cage in it and alot of other bits.

saw the octavia driving round the town thought it was with you lot

He must do, fair play. What times is he down to after that many laps?

Must be gutted after spending a lot of money - did he get fined for any barrier damage?

Loving that picture, needs a stubby mirror though ;)

lol cheers Liam, was thinking the same though I've heard you can't see very much out of them on the driver's side so a bit dubious as to whether it would be a wise move. Form over function? :)

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
That looks like it's a passenger side one though mate?

I've also just given HiSpec a call to chase about my brakes who've asked me to send them my rotors, bells and pads and they'll "sort it" so fingers crossed for some good news there soon, we'll see.

ian_cupra

o yeah, :lol: german ebay it is then

nice one mate, hope they dont try and fob you off. dont want another 'manifold' episode hehe

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
lol, even just the word makes me shudder now

Cheers, just tried texting Alex too.

These companies could learn a lot from the likes of Mr Brockbank... honest and dependable customer service, can't be that hard surely?! :)

GTi T

May 8, 2005
North West
Great thread Robbie,nice meeting you last night,we eventually got home at 01:30!!!

Hope you are happy with the wheels,get some pics with them on the Ibiza soon!

regards

Tom

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
:) Cheers Tom, likewise nice to meet you and your old man.

Bit of a late one for you then, think I made it back for 12:30 in the end - was nearly falling asleep at the wheel on the last 10 miles :blink:

Yeah I'll get some pics up once they're on the car and ready for some track abuse! Let me know how the OZ' look on the Lupo too :)

For those that don't know I ended up swapping my OZ Super T's for a set of Compomotive MO 5s last night to use as my track wheels from now on.

I'm also hoping to get my brakes off this weekend to send back to HiSpec and see where they take it from here. Pics to follow soon.

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
Thanks. That's about it now, enough money spent! :D

I had originally wondered about going BT but this turbo gives such a instantaneous kick of torque I think I'd miss the aggression if I went for more power. Besides, everyone loves an underdog.

Looking at my oil temps on track I may opt for an oil cooler but as far as I'm concerned the car is now complete and ready for enjoying before I decide to move on :)

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
Small update, after sending my brakes back to HiSpec on Monday I've just rang them to see what's going on and it seems they've acknowledged fault and are sending me some new bells with a different set of Ferodo pads that allow more clearance as necessary.

Here's a couple more pics as we were taking them off, showing the problem a little more clearly:

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

Hopefully I'll get hold of these next week so I can get it back on the road as it's not been driven since Germany

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.