Respray and blending in

Unfortunately due to a blemish on the NSR door that I'm wanting rid of, I have had to go down the route of looking at a respray by the pro's. I haven't had any experience with the likes of Chipsaway but even though it's cheaper I just don't think the outcome would be as good, I maybe being harsh though :shrug:

Anyway, I've had a quote by a company called Swanway who are approved VAG accident repairers in Crewe. I'm just wondering really what to expect.....I know the quality is largely down to the garage doing the work but if this is good am I likely to be able to tell it's be done. My car is platinum grey and there on about spraying the whole rear door and blending into the front due to the scratch location.

I know this may be a daft question............i'm just nervous though ! I've searched for a second hand door to but not much luck :(

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
when you paint a panel the fresh paint tends to stand out especially if one door alone is done - just look properly at some older cars to spot some

they partially spray into the surrounding panels so that the gaps have matching colours both sides because that is where it becmoes most obvious

even replacing with the same year and colour door won't really guarantee a match but will be closer than red-blue of course

ScoobyJawa

Achtung!
Oct 2, 2002
Liphook
Visit site
I had chipsaway do a fairly big bumper scuff on my old Midnight Purple Skyline R33 GTR, a colour quite hard to blend in, you couldn't tell it had been done, I was very impressed, only 120 quid too :)

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
It should be perfect and unnoticable to be honest, with all the advances we've had in paint technology they don't really have any excuses :)

richellis

Feb 29, 2008
Cannock
Ive had a repair on my Leon (artic grey) and its poo. You can see the out line of the repair. The tech said it cant be helped as silers dont blend well.
Ive had the side re-spayed to loose what was a 4" deep scratch and thats perfect. Cost £150 for the re-spray.

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
Ive had a repair on my Leon (artic grey) and its poo. You can see the out line of the repair. The tech said it cant be helped as silers dont blend well.
Ive had the side re-spayed to loose what was a 4" deep scratch and thats perfect. Cost £150 for the re-spray.

Hes talking rubbish mate, if you can see the repair its a very very poor repair.

Chipsaway did an 8 inch long key scratch on my platinum leon above the fuel cap where some :censored: had keyed it.

Wouldn't be able to tell it had ever been done to be honest...although I suppose it's more down to the individual sprayer rather than chipsaway as a company...

Mar 3, 2008
sunny Devon
by the sounds of what you are saying i would spray the door and let them blend it in! to the next panel.
if they machine polish the car all over you shouldnt notice it...
price wise for the door and ajoining panel i would think £300 to £380 ish , if the hole side of the car is to be done (extreme case) £500 ish

(ask them if they would like some paper,if you catch my drift?!!!)

your colour to match isnt to bad its the yellow,silver that are the hard ones

JamJay

California Bound
You'll be fine and any good bodyshop will always suggest that you have it blended. I had a Honda Civic a while back which had rotten rear arches, I had these cut out and new panels welded in, then paint was blended into the front doors, tailgate & bumper. You couldn't tell the difference at all :)

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Tim it will be fine , The Swansway group own around 10 dealers in cheshire , and also respray cars for other none local dealers

i saw a repair job they did on a rear ended R32 and it was factory perfect again , theve got the proper kit there and if they do it and your not happy with it then tell them lol

so i say go for it

Al_G

Jan 12, 2006
Manchester
Tim it will be fine , The Swansway group own around 10 dealers in cheshire , and also respray cars for other none local dealers

i saw a repair job they did on a rear ended R32 and it was factory perfect again , theve got the proper kit there and if they do it and your not happy with it then tell them lol

so i say go for it

I had a rear bumper and spoiler respray at Swansway and it was really good! perfect match and you'd never know the difference...

I'm thinking about getting my front end resprayed but I plan on using these guys...

www.prospray.co.uk (Warrington)

Seen their work and its amazing (their supposed to be one of the best show car bodyshops in the country). Do a search on Detailing World and you'll see the kind of feedback they get...

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=40341&highlight=prospray

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=96472&highlight=prospray