omp brake pads

edmong

GHE Tuning
Aug 15, 2007
Plymouth, Devon
Ive fitted them on the front to my LCR and had no probs. Got them off ebay. I know someone has had them and didnt like them. Just remember to wear them in for the first few hundred miles. They'll bed into the disc better and then they should be as good as the originals if not better.

cupra r rob

Oct 2, 2006
Had my omps on for a bit now and there pretty good, much better than red stuff and half the price.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
I wouldn't trust cheap pads for potentially the most important safety part of the whole car.

However just read that they are decent so decision is yours.

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
I wouldn't trust cheap pads for potentially the most important safety part of the whole car.

However just read that they are decent so decision is yours.

more expensive products doesnt always mean better quality (just look at shevchenko!)

no seriously, doesnt always mean that.

omp a proven racing name i suppose. very good price on fleabay at the minute.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
more expensive products doesnt always mean better quality (just look at shevchenko!)

no seriously, doesnt always mean that.

omp a proven racing name i suppose. very good price on fleabay at the minute.
Your quite right and you may be 100% right in this case however I like to run through things and my thought process on this is:

1) Why are they so cheap?
> Lower quality materials
> Lower quality manufacturing process
2) Who has tested them?
3) Who has rated them?
4) If they are good then will they last or will I have to buy new ones every 2-3 months?
5) They may be good for normal use but give them abuse will they let you down or fade?

TBCupraT

Limp Mode Squad ™
OK. Have bought and currently got these fitted to my LCR.

They're cheap and easily a decent pad if you don't do anything other than brake normally.

If you want to do a high speed stops then your only going to be able to do it once, after that they're no good.

So to recap if you want to stop well all the time avoid get something like ferodos and pay the premium. If your pottering about and don't expect too much from a set of pads then they're the ones to go for.

cupra r rob

Oct 2, 2006
OK. Have bought and currently got these fitted to my LCR.

They're cheap and easily a decent pad if you don't do anything other than brake normally.

If you want to do a high speed stops then your only going to be able to do it once, after that they're no good.

So to recap if you want to stop well all the time avoid get something like ferodos and pay the premium. If your pottering about and don't expect too much from a set of pads then they're the ones to go for.

Dont agree at all mate, unless your on about stops from 120mph + there plenty good enough for high speed countryside driving.

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
Yea, if your regulary doing that kind of speed then you would be better gettin the ds'.

which many of us realistically dont, some companies fool punters into buying fast road pads that are great for stopping at 120mph, but who needs that, unless youre on a track.

so anyone else an opinion on the omps?

any experiences?

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
regardless of whether you are doing 120mph or not doesn't matter. If you accelerating and breaking the force needed to slow day the car is greater as weight is being transferred more heavily/frequently. If your willing to trust your life with cheap pads because they are "adequate" then you need to rethink.

I'd rather have a pad that's got loads in reserve than on the brink of brake fade.

cupra r rob

Oct 2, 2006
Thought this might clear things up:

Omp

temp2.gif

Ferodo

graph1.gif

So there is a difference but not enough to slate omp completly.

cupra r rob

Oct 2, 2006
Thing is Rob, it does, there crap!
Not good enough to slow the car down quickly or safely enough!

I think what it comes down to is a bit of brake pad snobery, 4 pot brakes stop you well whatever, to say they dont slow you down quickly or safely is complete bs, if your looking to shave 0.002 of a second off your trip to tesco by that slightly bit later brakeing then maybe your right.

I live virtualy next door to fast country side roads and no them to be far from unsafe, all im trying to say is that if people dont want to spend £90 on pads they are a good option. Im not saying there better than ds' and i'll probably buy them next time from all the good reviews, it was just that at the time for changeing id just forked out aload of money on repairs and didnt have the spare cash to spend any more, im sure there will be others in the same situation.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
I think what it comes down to is a bit of brake pad snobery, 4 pot brakes stop you well whatever, to say they dont slow you down quickly or safely is complete bs, if your looking to shave 0.002 of a second off your trip to tesco by that slightly bit later brakeing then maybe your right.

Not so at all my friend.
4-pots CLAMP the disks well... whether you decide to clamp shoe leather, cardboard, or various friction materials is where the braking friction takes place.

The differentiator is in how well they cope with high temps and useage, and that need not be from high speed but spirited driving.

Drive like miss daisy and cardboard would probably suffice............. but why own a Cupra-R with 225bhp, brembo brakes etc...........

Those who drive them accordingly, know from "experience" that OE and cheap makes are cheap for a reason...

There's no surprise why DS2500's are so popular with repeat buyers as the owners opinions of them is they exceed many other pads in all round braking ability.

Buyers choice at the end of the day.... wondering if the same people also run their 1.8T on 95UL fuel too. :whistle:

:)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.