oil consumption fix possibility?

The Pielander

May 2, 2007
West Midlands
I had the software update on Friday and asked about the breather but they didn't know what that was. I had a new engine a week ago and I'm going to assume it already has it.

My wife was in the car today for the first time since the engine swap and commented on how the new engine is louder and more 'growly' There is also a more noticeable 'rushing air' noise when accelerating - maybe induction or turbo I guess? My wife doesn't drive so her perceptions are more neutral than mine :D

Seanyt

Oct 18, 2010
Bracknell
The breather pipe showed up for my car but doesn't fit without another item which is currently on back log so they can't tell me when its available! Think an email to seat UK is in order as I've been to that garage more than my house at the moment!

chuckb

Mo bark n' Mo grunt
Apr 4, 2010
Sunny Slough
Bocanegra came back on Friday with the new engine (Number 3) and its the latest version. Sayin bye bye and trading in on Saturday 1st in the afternoon. Have to say after going to Portsmouth in it yesterday it do drive well :D Who ever gets it will have new engine inc head, supercharger, turbo and gearbox. It may have been re built but it does drive well plus its only done 22,000 miles!

With body kit I reckon it will be some boy racers wet dream very shortly!!:rofl:

Last edited:

brokendown

My dealer just rang and said that Seat "have a fix' for the oil consumption by having a breather part which they've ordered for me and going to be put on next week along with a software update so hopefully that will stop the oil issue and allow me to continue with my engine mods!!! Fingers crossed this works and will put a stop to this problem and let us enjoy the car!

Anyone had the crankcase breather fitted and does anyone know if it works??

Jun 17, 2011
Grimsby/Birmingham
Hope you don't mind me asking but which garage have you taken it to? Mines due for a service soon so might ask about it for mine?

Took it to my local dealers which is in Grimsby, rang me earlier and said they need to order another part so kept the car overnight as I've got a courtesy car from them. So if you ask about the breather part, theres another part that needs to be fixed as well with it so make sure you ask about both parts when you get it done so they don't have to keep the car overnight

Jun 17, 2011
Grimsby/Birmingham
Just got my car back and speaking to one of the mechanics, he said that the update only came out a few weeks ago, not sure if he was on about the software update or about the breather part but mentioned that the breather part fixing the oil problems was mentioned on here and he said that I'm the first in the area to have a new breather part put on so I'm sorta like a guinea pig but he said that this should fix the oil problems and just to keep an eye on it which I will do so fingers crossed it does fix the problem so I can move on and remap it!

Nov 23, 2010
Dunfermline, Fife
I'd be interested in this also. Would love to get mine mapped but had so many ongoing issues with the oil that i have held off. Perhaps its too late as its coming up for 3 years in april and that usually chop time.

Jun 17, 2011
Grimsby/Birmingham
I'd be interested in this also. Would love to get mine mapped but had so many ongoing issues with the oil that i have held off. Perhaps its too late as its coming up for 3 years in april and that usually chop time.

I'm sure its not too late to ask about the breather pipe for your car, april is a while away and you never know...once you get it fixed and map it, you might keep it for a little bit longer!

Nov 23, 2010
Dunfermline, Fife
I'm sure its not too late to ask about the breather pipe for your car, april is a while away and you never know...once you get it fixed and map it, you might keep it for a little bit longer!

Yeah wont do anything rash, I'm positive engine no 2 is fecked and i am also waiting on a new ignition barrel being fitted. :( One thing after an other, whoever gets this car next will surely have trouble free ownership lol:whistle:

Nov 23, 2010
Dunfermline, Fife
Is it just the oil issue thats the problem with the engine? I thought things were going fine with your engine?

Well....
500 ish miles into new engine it needed a small top up. 390 miles later it was at bottom of dipstick. Dealer says its bedding in and to leave it a few hundred more miles or so. They topped it up and I'm convince the overfilled it by around a thumbs width on dipstick so I took it back to get em to check it and they say it's fine. !
I have been in contact with SEAT UK and told them all this and they want to wait the bedding in period as advised by dealer. They also said that If it is overfilled and damage etc occurs then its on the dealers head, so to speak.
Might go to another SEAT dealer to get oil checked but can't be arsed with all the pissing about.

Jun 17, 2011
Grimsby/Birmingham
Well....
500 ish miles into new engine it needed a small top up. 390 miles later it was at bottom of dipstick. Dealer says its bedding in and to leave it a few hundred more miles or so. They topped it up and I'm convince the overfilled it by around a thumbs width on dipstick so I took it back to get em to check it and they say it's fine. !
I have been in contact with SEAT UK and told them all this and they want to wait the bedding in period as advised by dealer. They also said that If it is overfilled and damage etc occurs then its on the dealers head, so to speak.
Might go to another SEAT dealer to get oil checked but can't be arsed with all the pissing about.

Might as well go to another Seat dealer, sounds like the one you go to is messing you about. Be safer to get a second opinion on it rather than getting one..I'm lucky to have great customer service from mine.

Wilko210290

Is it me or does most of the oil issues only appear on the 2009-2010 models. Is the 'new' engine in any of the 2010+ models?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.