Missing door seal causing leak

cmc

ohhhhh yes.
Sep 13, 2002
Glasgow
Visit site
Hi all

I discovered a two inch puddle of water in my rear passenger footwell. Done some investigating and thanks to this excellent thread

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44216&highlight=rear+footwe
ll

I managed to track down the leak. I discovered that my front passenger door
has no door seal covering the drain holes. Completely non existent
:confused: :confused:

I had the door repaired and painted last year after someone hit it and I can only assume that the idiots forgot to put it back on.

I’m in two minds whether to waste my time going back to them (they’ll no doubt deny all) or just get the part from the dealer. My question is:

1). Can anyone tell me the name of this part so when I call them to order it I get it right. It’s the rubber seal that covers the drain holes running along the bottom of the door.

2). Is the part expensive?

3). I have electric seats. Is there any risk of the water shorting these? I’m having difficulty drying the carpets out due to the cold whether and constant Scottish rain!

Thanks in advance

cmc

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
Do you have a/c? I'm guessing you will with it being a Cupra.

Stick it on maximum heat and airflow with the aircon and recirc turned on - that'll dry the car up within half an hour to an hour. :)

Ol' Timer

Jun 20, 2004
Norfolk
I'm a bit confused by your post. If the part you are describing is the seal along the bottom of the door, it should not be covering the drain holes at the bottom of the door as it has to allow any water in the door to drain out. In fact, if there is a water leak from the door you should check that the seal is not blocking the drain holes and if necessary make small notches in the seal to keep the holes clear.

If the seal is missing I suppose it could allow water draining from the bottom of the door to find its way back towards the door aperture seals.

I'm sorry I can help with the part number of the bottom seal.

Edit. On re-reading your post I see you had the door repaired. If they removed the ancillaries carrier to do this I would hazard a guess that it wasn't resealed properly when they replaced it and that is the source of the leak.

Last edited:

cmc

ohhhhh yes.
Sep 13, 2002
Glasgow
Visit site
I'm a bit confused by your post. If the part you are describing is the seal along the bottom of the door, it should not be covering the drain holes at the bottom of the door as it has to allow any water in the door to drain out. In fact, if there is a water leak from the door you should check that the seal is not blocking the drain holes and if necessary make small notches in the seal to keep the holes clear.

If the seal is missing I suppose it could allow water draining from the bottom of the door to find its way back towards the door aperture seals.

I'm sorry I can help with the part number of the bottom seal.

Edit. On re-reading your post I see you had the door repaired. If they removed the ancillaries carrier to do this I would hazard a guess that it wasn't resealed properly when they replaced it and that is the source of the leak.

Ol Timer

It's the rubber seal that runs along the bottom of the door - this one here - which can be peeled back. I never noticed it was missing at the time as it's not the kind of thing I'd check.

seal_drainhole.jpg

The drain holes are completely exposed so I think the water is just running over the door sill into the cabin if you know what I mean.

cmc

fahafiz

Jan 29, 2007
a good way of removing water is by going to some local filling station and use their hoover to suck out all the water. hold the hoover on the carpet and let it suck... when all the water is out then leave ur car running with air circ on and point towards footwell... that'll dry it up...
and if ur missing the door seal wouldnt water fall out of the car rather than in? i have a leak somewhere but cant find it so i just hoover car out every week (as normal) and water aint there no more... gonna seal up the doors when weather gets better, ive heard it aint a hard job.

cmc

ohhhhh yes.
Sep 13, 2002
Glasgow
Visit site
a good way of removing water is by going to some local filling station and use their hoover to suck out all the water. hold the hoover on the carpet and let it suck... when all the water is out then leave ur car running with air circ on and point towards footwell... that'll dry it up...

Thanks for the advice I'll give that a go.

and if ur missing the door seal wouldnt water fall out of the car rather than in? .

Well I have given this some thought. As I understand it, the water runs out of the drain holes along the bottom of the door and along the seal to the end (at the bottom corner of the door at the B pillar) and out to the street. Whereas at the moment I think that it's just running out the drain holes and into the cabin area and down to the rear footwell.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this theory?

cmc

fahafiz

Jan 29, 2007
i suppose it is possible if water is running down the door and leaking through a seal from behind the inner black panel... which then brings water inside the car the the front of the inner panel if that makes sense (im on lunch lol)

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
It's probably worth checking the gap between the door card and the door to check the ancillary panel seal isn't leaking again - if the garage haven't managed to re-fit the seals, there's no guarantee that they've fixed the original leak

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members