Is it worth replacing coil packs as a matter of course?

Lee M

Hi All,

My LCR is about 6 years old now, just wondering if it's worth replacing the coil packs at my next services, when the plugs are done?

They all seem ok, but wondered if they are the sort of thing that degrade with time (i.e. effect performance).

Cheers

Lee

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I would say no. There's no definite service interval for the coil packs, they seem to fail anywhere between 10k miles and 100k miles. And there is no reason for all of them to fail at the same time (although they usually do, and usually when you can't afford to replace them!).

I could feel when a coil pack was having trouble, and the error code confirmed it. There was no fade, and the new coil simply put the car back to how it was before it failed.

Lee M

Thanks mate, thats pretty much what I thought but it's good to get a second opinion :)

Binksy

Leon Cupra
Nov 27, 2009
Norwich
I would say no too. since my car is 6 years old and most likely on the 1st coils and i have no issues as of yet! and I don't have a spare 1 ready should I ? :cartman:

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
i personally would, coils do decrease over time causing intermittant misfires until they go

if they have been on there that long i would change them, go for the bolt down type, for 100quid for all 4 its worth changing them mate

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I would say no too. since my car is 6 years old and most likely on the 1st coils and i have no issues as of yet! and I don't have a spare 1 ready should I ? :cartman:

At least one spare in the boot is a good idea. If one does fail your car will be running on 3 cylinders and it's generally not happy with that.

James, I guess you could feel the odd stutter when it was starting to misfire? And I'm also guessing they weren't frequent enough to flag the ECU light? Even so, I wouldn't replace them until the misfires got too frequent to be comfortabe, and I wouldn't replace all four. But I'm a real tight a55 when it comes to money!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members