Insurance renewal

Yoshi

Mar 8, 2023
Hi guys,

my insurance is due to renew within 2 weeks.

I've got some quotes with additional mods (exhaust mod and rear valance mod). The mods haven't been installed yet as i'm waiting on the part (estimated 1-2months).

Not sure if to just insure the car with the mods ready or contact the insurance company once the mods have been done? I'm aware they charge you an admin fee to do so and it's not actually much more to just insure with the mods from day 1.

I fear if I update them once the mods are installed they will most likely put the price up and I don't have a quote to go by as i've already accepted the quote with no mods for 12 months,

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I would contact your insurance company before having the mods done. Not all insurance companies are ‘mod-friendly’, so best to check in advance IMHO in case they won’t cover your modifications.

Reactions: Yoshi

Yoshi

Mar 8, 2023
I would contact your insurance company before having the mods done. Not all insurance companies are ‘mod-friendly’, so best to check in advance IMHO in case they won’t cover your modifications.

I used money supermarket and declared the mods whilst retreiving the quotes :) (There's drop down boxes to select the mods).

Deleted member 139706

I used money supermarket and declared the mods whilst retreiving the quotes :) (There's drop down boxes to select the mods).
Still double-check though. Moneysupermarket/comparison sites don't always relay the information properly to insurers.... ask me how i know.

Yoshi

Mar 8, 2023
Still double-check though. Moneysupermarket/comparison sites don't always relay the information properly to insurers.... ask me how i know.

Surely moneysupermarket could get into serious trouble for that?

Obtaining quotes from them that are potential invalid? 🧐

Deleted member 139706

Apparently not. These comparison sites are just an 'estimated' price and then it directs you to the insurer's own website. It does make it clear that the onus is on you to double-check the information is correct.

Comparison sites are basically just brokers/a middleman, since they aren't actually offering you a service directly.

(For background, twice I've been 'stung' but thankfully I noticed before buying a policy. First time was my job title, I had wrote X, but by the time I went to the insurer's site it had somehow changed to Y, which was a completely different job. Second time was mods, I had declared a remap, yet on insurers website, 'Modifications to vehicle: None' showed.... curious!)

Yoshi

Mar 8, 2023
Apparently not. These comparison sites are just an 'estimated' price and then it directs you to the insurer's own website. It does make it clear that the onus is on you to double-check the information is correct.

Comparison sites are basically just brokers/a middleman, since they aren't actually offering you a service directly.

(For background, twice I've been 'stung' but thankfully I noticed before buying a policy. First time was my job title, I had wrote X, but by the time I went to the insurer's site it had somehow changed to Y, which was a completely different job. Second time was mods, I had declared a remap, yet on insurers website, 'Modifications to vehicle: None' showed.... curious!)

What a faf, just checked on Aviva after following through from money supermarket and it's saying "Vehicle not modified"

EDIT: When clicking "false" after double checking all statements are correct it's showing the 2 mods

Jagger

Feb 24, 2024
I would also say you cannot rely on the multiple quotes you get back from comparison sites. Just renewed my misses insurance and found that when I clicked through to accept the excess amounts had increased considerably.

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
Some good tips here in this video. I used these tips recently. Brought insurance down considerably. Tried companies not on comparison sites too, e.g. Direct Line and Aviva. Aviva were surprisingly cheap considering my car is modified. I was with Chris Knott originally but, as I wanted to add my wife on who’d recently passed, despite her being 26, they wouldn’t insure her as she’s a new driver, AND, they’re no longer using the company that my current insurance was with for some reason, so they couldn’t renew me with the same company anyway. Hey ho.

Yoshi

Mar 8, 2023
Cheers guys.

Spoke to Aviva who have confirmed the two mods are included.

Found a cheaper company but that's without mods, by the time i've paid admin fees, new price for the mods then I may as well just go with Aviva.

My insurance is due the end of the month and the diffuser is due 1 week before. Highly doubt the garage will get me in the same week for the exhaust mod.

Seems a lot of messing around to renew with no mods then declare 2 mods 1-2 weeks later, lol

CosmicBlue

Enjoying retirement
Nov 25, 2023
Warwick, UK
I declare the mods before doing them (I'm insured with NFU), they are brilliant.

When my Audi RS got nicked last year they not only paid the market price (they used Autotrader as a guide) for the car as if I I was going to buy another (I didn't hence being here:)) but also the price of the declared modifications and accessories like floor mats and boot liner.

NFU are not on-line, you have to talk to a real person - novel these days.

Last edited:

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
I declare the mods before doing them (I'm insured with NFU), they are brilliant.

When my Audi RS got nicked last year they not only paid the market price (they used Autotrader as a guide) for the car as if I I was going to buy another (I didn't hence being here:)) but also the price of the declared modifications and accessories like floor mats and boot liner.

NFU are not on-line, you have to talk to a real person - novel these days.
I tried NFU Mutual but I don’t live in a rural enough area for them to insure me. 😔

Yoshi

Mar 8, 2023

I'm thinking that's the best way as i'm aiming to get the work done shortly after the quote renews and saves the admin.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members