How accurate is the liquid gauge?

Jamesrowe

Feb 6, 2009
Dorset
Hey all, i bought a liquid gauge earlier in the week, when i checked the boost pressure it peaked at 22psi and was averaging around 8 psi, as far as i know my car isn't chipped, and i thought it was ment to be around 12 - 14 psi. Any help would be great.

Cheers, James

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
its fairly accurate mate, 22psi.... big boost spike there.. any running issues?

reads data from the ecu, only difference from mechanical guage is a millisecond slight delay whilst it collects the data.

Jamesrowe

Feb 6, 2009
Dorset
Oh right. It seems to run fine, the only thing i have noticed is that when the engines warming up and you put your foot down it feels like the clutch is slipping, power a bit juddery sort of feeling, but when the engines warmed up it goes and runs smoothly.

When i bought the car the bloke i bought it off said it hadn't been modified in any way, i serviced it last week and noticed that it had a forge dump valve on, but the dump valve looks different to the 007 ones, could the boost problem have something to do with that?

oh yeah, i've got an 02 plate lcr 210.

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
could well be mapped mate.... do you have acces to vagcom?

could be the forge 006, slightly larger... did the valve have a big trumpet on the side by any chance?

Jamesrowe

Feb 6, 2009
Dorset
No, i don't have acces to vag-com, i will have to purchase it i thinks. Will that be able to tell me if it's mapped or not. I'm not sure if it's got a trumpet on from the top of my head, all i can remember at the moment is that it was held together with allen key bolts, and the pictures on the forge website looked different.

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
does it say forge on the valve?

vagcom will tell if it s mapped yes, if you run logs youll see boost requested vs actual, maf readings etc... all will be a give away.

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
probably the forge 006 dv then... older version of the 007 and bigger.

id say it was mapped tbh, wouldnt really be worth putting on on if standard boost.

need to run logs really, but if boosting 20 odd then it will be mapped.

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
should boost 22psi then hold around 14 id say for mapped lcr.

on the liquid guage, go into bhp readings and run a power run, from 2500k in 3rd gear to redline and see what bhp it reads... do the same for torque mate

thatll tell you.

Jamesrowe

Feb 6, 2009
Dorset
ok mate will do. Thanks for your hep, i'll give it a go when i finish work and let you know the result. Cheers again.

Jamesrowe

Feb 6, 2009
Dorset
Yeh its a cupra r 210 model, the bloke i bought it off said it was compleltly standard, but its boosting quite high according the liquid gauge!!

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
Those liquid gauges measure the peak Lee69 has one on his LC and although I think it shows 16psi peak it only boosts 9-10psi 99% of the time.

Does it show 12-14psi most of the other time and does it always peak at 22?

That doesn't explain why your 210 is reading 233..... could it be mapped and not running right or could it be other mods making it 233?

Jamesrowe

Feb 6, 2009
Dorset
The only mods its got is a pipercross panel filter and a forge dump valve. It always peaks at 22psi, not sure what it usualy boosts at.

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
well 233 is 23 bhp up on the 210... so id say stage 1 mapped..

do the torque measure aswell mate, see what that records at.

liquid usually under reads bhp, does on mine to 5-8bhp, so add that on... 241 bhp, so id say definatly stage 1 mapped

would like to see proper vagcom logs to confirm though

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.