Headlight/dipped beam not working

gregburford

I've done a search and havent found anything similar, so hoping someone can help.

As the title suggests my offside dipped beam isnt working - I have replaced the bulb and I assume its not the fuse as all the other lights are working perfectly.

Im suspecting it might be the black connector in which the bulb sits, but dont want to rip it off in case its hard to replace/reassemble. Otherwise im stuck as to why it wont work

anyone had a similar issue/or suggest a solution? thanks in advance

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
never assume 'not a fuse' they are seperate fuse links for each side just in case one goes so don't lose all your lights at once

at least of the other side is working you can borrow it from that to test if you have no other way

gregburford

cheers for the heads up re:fuses flapper, but its definitely not fuse related - headlight started working again halfway on my journey home from work today, then tried it later this evening and it wasnt working! fecking thing

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Maybe the filament in the bulb is broken, vibration from bumps will make it work/not work. If you have it in the not working state and thump the headlamp and it lights up, this is a dodgy filament. just replace the bulb. this can hapen even with brand new bulbs as they get bashed about in the shops.

gregburford

thanks for the advice nath, I'll have to give a new bulb a try then & hope that does the trick!

Keef83

Nov 25, 2008
Maidstone
On this note does anyone else have problems with bulbs going quite quickly, I say quickly I replaced my main headlight in about march and its gone already, is this just me or is it something common?

gregburford

I seem to have a similar problem with bulbs going to be honest - dont know if its because im buying sh*t quality bulbs or not, but might spend a bit more on the next one and see if that works!

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
If you have lowered suspension the ride will be harder and there will be more vibration, this vibration can shake the bulbs and make them fail sooner.

Torquemonster

Nov 20, 2007
On this note does anyone else have problems with bulbs going quite quickly, I say quickly I replaced my main headlight in about march and its gone already, is this just me or is it something common?

:( Worst car i've ever owned for blown bulbs (especially dipped and sidelight).
Owned a Lupo for 3 years.Not a single bulb replaced.Owned my Ibiza for 3.5 years.Numerous bulbs gone.Brake lights,tail lights, etc.Don't think the rock hard suspension helps any.

Jan 19, 2023
Halfords have tripple lasting bulbs in green label for just over £14 pair. i have same issue with 2012 mk 4 6J, but its not coming on even with new bulb in. bulb was tested good. all fuses tested good. looked at switch and all seems connected properly. checked Haynes and shows relay connectors above driver side fuse box, all look good but can't order a new one anywhere. told only through manufacturer. anyone have any links?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.