Driving modes and esp. How do they work?

The-Cupra

Mar 6, 2024
Recently bought my Cupra and wondering how the drive mode work with ESP (braking individually on the rear when it steps out)

In previous cars, ESP would be tied in with the driving modes. Is that the case with this car too? In individual i cant seem to find an option for traction control or ESP.

Previously in other cars (Not VW's), i could change the ESP to sport which would allow around a 45 degree slide before ESP would kick in or you could have the nattys fully on.

Is it possible to have the car in Cupra and have the ESP full on not allowing any slip at the rear? I know there is a separate button for it, however i would like to know if modes themselves effect it as i dont see a light on the dash or anything.

Thanks

Reactions: Jason2023

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
Try this:

Reactions: The-Cupra

The-Cupra

Mar 6, 2024
thanks mate but that explains nothing. thats just turning it off.

i was looking more along the lines off how it changes with drive modes, if atall.... And also the traction loss allowed with different EPC modes etc.

cheers though! appreciate the response.

Last edited:

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
Let’s have another go. What about this? Just mentions throttle response, DCC, diff, ACC, and AC that can be altered when driving modes are changed.

The-Cupra

Mar 6, 2024
Let’s have another go. What about this? Just mentions throttle response, DCC, diff, ACC, and AC that can be altered when driving modes are changed.

No mate that's not even remotely close again, i just want to know about the electronic stability control as it relates to the driving modes.

For example... if you go around a corner in most cars in sports mode.. the ESP/ESC (braking individually on each rear wheel when there is loss of traction) kicks in and allows more slip than usual, usually 45 degree angle of slip before kicking in. If all nattys are fully on and its not in sport (most cars) the ESP is quite aggressive and kicks in immediately. This is how it is in most cars.

What i want to know is, when in Cupra for example, is the ESP/ESC less intrusive or is it always the same and/or is it run from the separate traction control button and driving modes have no effect.

Traction control and ESP/ESC and two different things, traction control will stop wheel spin at the front. ESP/ESC will brake individually on the rear when it steps out.

I have just got the car, not trying to test it on public roads. I wanted to know how the system worked. Seems know one knows.

Ill put a video below of ESC working. Will it be strong/relaxed in cupra mode????

Thanks again for trying, glad at least someone is! Its much appreciated.

Here is another example of what it is, surely are years of ownership/snow etc someone knows how the system works:-

Last edited:

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Thanks again for trying, glad at least someone is! Its much appreciated
205 people have taken time out of their day to read your very specfic technical question. Unless SEAT have released details on it, or the original programmer happens to be reading this thread, then how tf is anyone meant to know the answer?

Your enititled attitude will get you nowhere here, if someone knew the answer i'm pretty sure they would have said.

Reactions: SRGTD and Walone

The-Cupra

Mar 6, 2024
205 people have taken time out of their day to read your very specfic technical question. Unless SEAT have released details on it, or the original programmer happens to be reading this thread, then how tf is anyone meant to know the answer?

Your enititled attitude will get you nowhere here, if someone knew the answer i'm pretty sure they would have said.
Its not very technical atall, its a very simple question. I owned a Focus RS Mk3 and a Megane RS Trophy Mk4 before the Cupra... Both cars have the information regarding ESC on the forums. Its been asked before and answered... im going to go out on a limb and say the original programmer for Ford and Renault are not on the forums. This is my first Seat and the first time iv been on a seat/VW related forum.... Im over 20,000 posts on both Renault and Ford forums. Such a nice community. In all the years iv ever posted. You're the first donut iv come across. Your comment is uncalled for and unwarranted.

The Ford community is massive and id have had about 10 comments already. I could understand if it was an actual technical question. Its driving modes and ESC. Hardly technical. If you think driving modes and traction related questions are technical id hate to see a real technical question.

You're telling me people drive these cars everyday and even track them and no one can tell how intrusive the ESC is and when its fully on and half on etc? Just to reiterate, not one person who has had these cars knows if traction control/ESC is turned off or loosened with Cupra driving mode? I think its something you ought to know? What if someone hits a patch of oil in the road? Id like to know if the nattys will kick in or ill need to control it myself. We are on public roads with other road users. Its something id like to know about. What about winter months in the snow? Surely someone has found out then? Its all abit odd you think this isn't a normal question. Blows my mind.

I like to know what my car will do it an emergency situation. If i know the nattys are on, i know i need to correct the car differently etc. I will find out myself over time. Forums are for help... not for people like you making pointless comments.

Where is the entitlement? I thanked the fella that respond trying to help.. twice... and i ment it. I appreciate him trying to help me. I understand 205 people looked, not everyone will know, understandable.. However, on the car forums usually resides car enthusiasts who knows everything about there cars. My question is aimed at them sorts of people. Im not delusional, i know your average Joe might not know the answer.

The only person with attitude is you with your pointless comment that adds zero help to my question. Trying to make me look bad does nothing. Infact just makes me getting an answer even worse now so cheers for that. Iv seen another bloke on here in a previous thread going the wrong way about not getting an answer. I feel i was respectful, if anyone can point me towards a better forum/community or Facebook page with people that might be able to help me it would be very much appreciated as i would rather intricate myself into a welcoming knowledgeable community. My first proper question and iv got mty123345 giving it large. Jeez

Last edited:

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Its not very technical atall, its a very simple question. I owned a Focus RS Mk3 and a Megane RS Trophy Mk4 before the Cupra... Both cars have the information regarding ESC on the forums. Its been asked before and answered... im going to go out on a limb and say the original programmer for Ford and Renault are not on the forums. This is my first Seat and the first time iv been on a seat/VW related forum.... Im over 20,000 posts on both Renault and Ford forums. Such a nice community. In all the years iv ever posted. You're the first donut iv come across. Your comment is uncalled for and unwarranted.

The Ford community is massive and id have had about 10 comments already. I could understand if it was an actual technical question. Its driving modes and ESC. Hardly technical. If you think driving modes and traction related questions are technical id hate to see a real technical question.

You're telling me people drive these cars everyday and even track them and no one can tell how intrusive the ESC is and when its fully on and half on etc? Just to reiterate, not one person who has had these cars knows if traction control/ESC is turned off or loosened with Cupra driving mode? I think its something you ought to know? What if someone hits a patch of oil in the road? Id like to know if the nattys will kick in or ill need to control it myself. We are on public roads with other road users. Its something id like to know about. What about winter months in the snow? Surely someone has found out then? Its all abit odd you think this isn't a normal question. Blows my mind.

I like to know what my car will do it an emergency situation. If i know the nattys are on, i know i need to correct the car differently etc. I will find out myself over time. Forums are for help... not for people like you making pointless comments.

Where is the entitlement? I thanked the fella that respond trying to help.. twice... and i ment it. I appreciate him trying to help me. I understand 205 people looked, not everyone will know, understandable.. However, on the car forums usually resides car enthusiasts who knows everything about there cars. My question is aimed at them sorts of people. Im not delusional, i know your average Joe might not know the answer.

The only person with attitude is you with your pointless comment that adds zero help to my question. Trying to make me look bad does nothing. Infact just makes me getting an answer even worse now so cheers for that. Iv seen another bloke on here in a previous thread going the wrong way about not getting an answer. I feel i was respectful, if anyone can point me towards a better forum/community or Facebook page with people that might be able to help me it would be very much appreciated as i would rather intricate myself into a welcoming knowledgeable community. My first proper question and iv got mty123345 giving it large. Jeez
I never suggested that it wasn't a interesting or a valid question, just that it's technical in the sense that it's related to parameters of the ESC system, that only operates in far from everyday conditions. Unless people are tracking the car or setting out specifically to test your question on the rare occasion it snows, then 99.9% of people aren't going to know any more than you do.

If you have some patience without making childish comments like "thanks for trying, at least someone is" then i'm sure someone can answer it, but you make a passive-agressive comment like that, then act surprised when someone takes offence to it!

I'm not a 12 yr old girl who wants drama, or a big bad bully who's trying to hurt your fefes and make you look bad :rolleyes: i just get pissed off with the occasional new member who acts like this is some sort of paid service, where we all have to cancel our weekend plans to answer your question within a certain timeframe, or wrongly implies that people can't be bothered rather than just don't know.

This is probably the most welcoming and friendly forum out there, which is precisely why people with your attitude problem should take it elsewhere.

The-Cupra

Mar 6, 2024
I never suggested that it wasn't a interesting or a valid question, just that it's technical in the sense that it's related to parameters of the ESC system, that only operates in far from everyday conditions. Unless people are tracking the car or setting out specifically to test your question on the rare occasion it snows, then 99.9% of people aren't going to know any more than you do.

If you have some patience without making childish comments like "thanks for trying, at least someone is" then i'm sure someone can answer it, but you make a passive-agressive comment like that, then act surprised when someone takes offence to it!

I'm not a 12 yr old girl who wants drama, or a big bad bully who's trying to hurt your fefes and make you look bad :rolleyes: i just get pissed off with the occasional new member who acts like this is some sort of paid service, where we all have to cancel our weekend plans to answer your question within a certain timeframe, or wrongly implies that people can't be bothered rather than just don't know.

This is probably the most welcoming and friendly forum out there, which is precisely why people with your attitude problem should take it elsewhere.
Your comment on my "Thanks again for trying, glad at least someone is! Its much appreciated." Is taken way out of context. Maybe you should stop being a snowflake. Your rude comment helps no one.

Dont worry ill take myself elsewhere... but not because i have an attitude problem, simply because this forum isn't of much help. Its that simple. People like you would rather cherry pick one line i said and turn it into something its not. Congrats for being that one guy out of 210 others that had to make a pointless comment.

Its really not a technical question mate... if i asked this exact question on the Ford forums id have an answer by now.... many actually. I was very respectful for the fella trying to help and i honestly happy he tried to help. Dont worry you didnt hurt my feelings... just think your comment is was uncalled for... and now we are in a position of typing out pointless comments for no reason when all i wanted was a simple answer on how the ESC works.

You seem to think its a abnormal question, i think its a very normal question that most people should know. We can agree to disagree. Lets not drag this out... So ill just say sorry for what ever offended you to make your rude comment. Best i can do!

Guyelle

Apr 11, 2017
I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think the ESC changes at all with the driving modes; you have to change it yourself, either by putting it in ESC Sport or ESC Off:
1712590283348.jpeg

Reactions: The-Cupra

The-Cupra

Mar 6, 2024
I don't know if this helps at all but here is a link to another forum post where someone was sharing their experiences of esc sport mode
https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/threads/esc-sport-mode.399465/
From reading alot of seat blurbs I would surmise that the driving modes don't have an effect on the esc. Hope this helps.
Thanks mate this really helpful! Legend.

It seems all the nattys are on but in cupra mode if you touch the traction button it will turn everything fully off in apose to other modes which it wont! Really helpful. Thank you.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.