Clunk Noise from the suspension

Oceanic

May 25, 2021
Well I have decided to go to my dealer with my car to fix the clunky noise from the suspension,... the guy at the dealer could confirm the noise... which does not sound very premium...he also said... their demo car had the same noise... what they both have in common was that they are very early in the production.. I pretty much have a a demo car...I got mine already in the late october...

I was just wondering how wide spread this problem is ? Do any one else of you Formentor owners here any sound from the suspension in certain scenarious ?

Anyway for this kind of money I decided it is not accetable so I am going to use my warranty to fix this...

CupraBorn58kw

Jul 13, 2021
Wexford, Ireland
Did you get this sorted? My Cupra Born makes a loud clunk when going over a ramp or if it hits a pothole so wondering what was found because mine is also an ex demo car so wondering if this is a known issue?

Oceanic

May 25, 2021
Did you get this sorted? My Cupra Born makes a loud clunk when going over a ramp or if it hits a pothole so wondering what was found because mine is also an ex demo car so wondering if this is a known issue?

Well.. The noise is there because it's a cupra and not a Mercedes Benz. But you also pay half price for it.

For me it has gotten better

Secretagent

Nov 26, 2022
Last November I test drove a 2022 model VZ2 that had only covered 1.5k miles prior to buying a different VZ2, it was fine, everything seemed to work except that when I went over a local speed bump at no more than 25mph there was a loud bang from the rear, so loud that I told the sales person at the Cupra dealers who just shrugged his shoulders and said he'd never experienced that in the car.
Now driving my 2022 model VZ2 I've learned to drive very carefully and slowly when approaching any kind of speed bumps, seems the Formentor just doesn't like them but mine has never made the bang that the VZ2 made when I've not slowed down enough and gone over one at around 25mph, one would think the cars were all screwed together the same?

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
I'd be checking for a broken spring. Might be unlikely on a fairly new car but I had a rear one go on a Mercedes at 18 months old. It was right at the bottom tail of the spring and didn't affect the ride height at all. Only way to spot it was to get it up on a garage lift.

Reactions: Tell and Seastormer

Tell

Staff member
I had a trip to Germany and back with a broken spring in my old Altea. Clonks, bangs or creaking is a sign you should get it checked out. The dealer that changed it, now out of business but with the advert "nice people to do business with".... then didn't tighten a nut on it.... that could have been the creak. Banging and creaking means you got some mechanical suspension fault. Two issues, the broken spring followed up by the replacement spring not bolted down correctly so it rattled. You do see people bouncing over speed bumps which isn't a good idea with low profile tyres.

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
I had a trip to Germany and back with a broken spring in my old Altea. Clonks, bangs or creaking is a sign you should get it checked out. The dealer that changed it, now out of business but with the advert "nice people to do business with".... then didn't tighten a nut on it.... that could have been the creak. Banging and creaking means you got some mechanical suspension fault. Two issues, the broken spring followed up by the replacement spring not bolted down correctly so it rattled. You do see people bouncing over speed bumps which isn't a good idea with low profile tyres.
My wife broke both front springs on her Honda Civic driving far to quickly over speed bumps whilst on her weekly shopping run. I went with her once and couldn't believe how fast she drove over them! She's much more careful now I'm glad to say.

Reactions: Tell

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
My wife broke both front springs on her Honda Civic driving far to quickly over speed bumps whilst on her weekly shopping run. I went with her once and couldn't believe how fast she drove over them! She's much more careful now I'm glad to say.
b7870760abcbb47f08c9dd76b934e5ff--speed-bump-funny-picture-quotes.jpg

Shackattack

Apr 12, 2021
Was there any update on this everyone? Mine has started doing this, not so much clunking, but definitely muffled rattling fron the drivers side front

adrian001

Apr 19, 2016
Although mine is a std Leon FR first edition so it has the DCC it has the same issue passenger side noise. So far its had 2 new front shocks and still does it. The car is going in next week for them to have another look. The case has been moved over to Seat UK technical. During a test drive of a similar spec car before i bought mine had the same issue.

Shackattack

Apr 12, 2021
Although mine is a std Leon FR first edition so it has the DCC it has the same issue passenger side noise. So far its had 2 new front shocks and still does it. The car is going in next week for them to have another look. The case has been moved over to Seat UK technical. During a test drive of a similar spec car before i bought mine had the same issue.
Just insane that it's a common issue and they have no idea what's causing it. Does the Leon have adjustable suspension?

adrian001

Apr 19, 2016
Dcc was only fitted to the first edition cars like mine and is not an option on the leons

Shackattack

Apr 12, 2021
Dcc was only fitted to the first edition cars like mine and is not an option on the leons
Hi Adrian, A couple of months on did you ever get this sorted. Mine going in tomorrow (3rd time) to see if they can do a deep dive into all the suspension components

vmaxkiddy

Jan 16, 2023
I had exactly the same on a 57 plate Skoda Octavia Scout, the later face lift model didn’t have the problem, the shock absorbers were updated and could be retrofitted to earlier models. I seem to remember the rebound rate was altered

Reactions: Shackattack

adrian001

Apr 19, 2016
Hi Adrian, A couple of months on did you ever get this sorted. Mine going in tomorrow (3rd time) to see if they can do a deep dive into all the suspension components
Well short answer is no. The dealer had the car for 6 weeks to find a solution and it was raised with SEAT technical for more help after this time still made the same noise. i had a quick tot up of the time spent in the dealers and so far its about 14 weeks trying to sort out various issues. I will let you know if i get any further but i think the time i have left with the car is limited once the official warranty runs out its going.

Shackattack

Apr 12, 2021
Well short answer is no. The dealer had the car for 6 weeks to find a solution and it was raised with SEAT technical for more help after this time still made the same noise. i had a quick tot up of the time spent in the dealers and so far its about 14 weeks trying to sort out various issues. I will let you know if i get any further but i think the time i have left with the car is limited once the official warranty runs out its going.
So much for Cupra's supposed excellent technical and after sales service hey.

I genuinely cannot wait to get of the bloody thing, latest is the gearbox which has thrown up all sorts of error messages.

Seems like the latest ones dont suffer the same problems

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members