Cheapest Way to a Spare Key

gilligan905

I am quite concerned that I don't have a spare key for my Altea and feel it is only a matter of time before the inevitable happens. I have searched about quite a bit without any success, but can anyone suggest what would be the cheapest way possible to get a spare key made up?

Temporary Noble

Hello,

I have concern re locking key in car - bought a blank key off eBay with intention of getting it cut at local shop so it works on lock and then trying to programme it using VCDS. Do t know yet if this will work!!

If you just want the mechanical opening I notice blank keys with no chips inside are about £3 on Amazon.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
Buy a cheap, compatible key off eBay, get it cut and have it coded.

A decent lock smith or dealer can do all the above but be warned - there is no route where it'll cost you a couple of quid to have a properly working key.

Parts might be cheap but the expertise and equipment are very expensive.

Aug 16, 2011
Huddersfield
I am quite concerned that I don't have a spare key for my Altea and feel it is only a matter of time before the inevitable happens. I have searched about quite a bit without any success, but can anyone suggest what would be the cheapest way possible to get a spare key made up?

what year is your Altea? the ease of key programming depends on the year of the car due to the different immob systems used. The equipment to do earlier models is cheaper so there may be someone on the forum up your way that has it. If it's a newer model then the programming procedure is a bit more technical & the equipment is priced as such that somebody from a forum who just does the odd key for their car etc isn't going to spend that kind of money.

I travel all over the country doing keys inc group buys arranged on other forums but have yet to go as far North as you. Just not had that many people contact me from Scotland.

I do actually know a guy in Glasgow from another forum that does keys as i've given him a lot of advice etc with what equipment to use etc. I can send him a message if you want

Craig

Aug 16, 2011
Huddersfield
Hello,

I have concern re locking key in car - bought a blank key off eBay with intention of getting it cut at local shop so it works on lock and then trying to programme it using VCDS. Do t know yet if this will work!!

If you just want the mechanical opening I notice blank keys with no chips inside are about £3 on Amazon.

unless you have the SKC for the car you're not going to be able to program the transponder with VCDS.

I see you're in Wakefield, i'm not too far away from you & i do work in Wakefield a fair bit so if you need the blade cutting & skc reading I can help out with that

Craig

Jul 12, 2013
RETFORD
Ill be in scotland end of september if you are still looking I can help with coding any key you buy from ebay. Could also supply a key to suit if you get stuck.

Jul 12, 2013
RETFORD
Cant see any on IQ that are precoded, but ill have a tool for precoded before end of september, so its all good : his car is 2006 btw.

Last edited:

skard

Dec 29, 2011
UK
I did two spare keys for our 07 Altea.

Got the keys cut from a picture from a nice chap on ebay, bought virgin transponders from another guy, used a cable to extract my SKC, used said code in VCDS to pair it with the immo. Job done (red screen clocks)

whitez1000

Apr 4, 2013
clydebank
@udi A3 great key supplier

Ill be in scotland end of september if you are still looking I can help with coding any key you buy from ebay. Could also supply a key to suit if you get stuck.
just had a remote key supplied by @udi A3 great job ,would recomend to any seat owner who needs spare key.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.