Charging issue

Apr 5, 2024
Hi I am having an issue where I bought a charging cable to plug into a uk socket as I’m a mid terrace and needed a longer cable. My issue is that even though the charger locks to the car it does not charge and the light on the transformer shows that it’s awaiting connection can anyone advise. P.s the company sent out a replacement charger and same issue, I’ve attached some pictures as well.

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4022.jpeg
    IMG_4022.jpeg
    539 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_4023.jpeg
    IMG_4023.jpeg
    534.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4026.jpeg
    IMG_4026.jpeg
    906.5 KB · Views: 50

cod_ed

May 23, 2017
UK
Hi, have you tried the genuine VAG 3 pin plug charge cable that came with the car? I mean somewhere other than your house where it will reach? This would show wether the car has a charging issue or the aftermarket cable has an issue/is incompatible with your car.

Apr 5, 2024
Yeah the genuine charger supplied with the car works as I checked this prior to calling the other company up and getting a replacement sent out as I didn’t want to find out it was a car problem first. It seems to be a compatibility issue but wasn’t sure if this is a common problem and easy solve. The company I used seem to be very reputable plus have been great and offered a full refund but I said I’d try and investigate it further before going down that route as there isn’t many companies that do 20-25m cables

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
It could also be the law of physics, the cable being too thin to prevent voltage drop over that length of run when the car connects, your house voltage might also be on the lower end of the supply standard.

Apr 5, 2024
Think I’m going to have to concede defeat and return the charger then look at other options appreciate the responses. 👍

Reactions: cod_ed

Chrispy

Oct 6, 2018
Which part of the cable is long and how long is it? I'm fairly sure the limit on the "car" end (i.e. black box to type 2 connector) is something like 15m so not too surprising to have issues if it's longer than that.

Apr 5, 2024
Which part of the cable is long and how long is it? I'm fairly sure the limit on the "car" end (i.e. black box to type 2 connector) is something like 15m so not too surprising to have issues if it's longer than that.
It’s prob bout 22ish from the box to car then 2m to box to plug

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
So say if you had an electric shower fitted in your house, rated at 6kw and 22m from the fusebox, it would likely have at least a 6mm2 conductor - that flex has 2.5mm2 printed on side.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.