Adam's Ibiza FR TDI - **Carbon and Pedals 1/5/12**

Adamroberts

Apr 9, 2011
As some of you know from my other progress thread, I have now moved on from the MG and have gone and bought myself a Seat Ibiza FR TDI (a step in the right direction I hope!).

Here are some pics of the the MG (for those of you that are interested)

4d764123.jpg

c880c7f5.jpg

I didn't really do much to it in terms of mods, it did have a stainless steel cat back, de cat, HID lights and a K&N Induction kit though. I didn't really have the car long enough to go too wild on it!

I will admit, the Ibiza was not the first car that popped into my head when it came to moving on. On the short list there was:

- Vauxhall astra 1.9 CDTI XP
- Fiat grande punto sporting 1.9
- Audi A3 sport TDI
- VW Golf MKIV GT TDI
- Skoda Fabia VRS
- Fiesta Zetec S TDCI
- Honda Civic Type S GT CTDI

As you can see, I wanted a diesel, 3 door and something sporty, none of this tree hugging 1.0 3 cylinder nonsense, although, come to think of it, it would have got me some extra brownie points with my lecturers in University (doing an environmental management degree) haha! :worried:

All of the above fitted the bill (including the ibiza) but the majority of them were a bit out of my price range e.g Civic was £7500 for a decent spec, now I could have afforded to go for these but that would have left me with hardly any money/savings, so in this case my head won :(

I was pretty much set on getting the Grande Punto, I went to view one in Pine Tree Cars (those who are local may know), it had only just come in (unfortunately) and it was lovely but it needed a bit of sprucing up before I was going to hand over any cash. Anyway the sales person was really decent until it came to talking about money and a test drive, he wanted to agree on a deal before going for a test, then he offered me £700 lower than the value of the car, to which I snatched my keys back and drove off..... here is a word of warning to anyone that wants to look at a car in Pine Tree..... Go with cash in your pocket or they wont even look at you!

Anyway, the whole experience with pine tree put me off going back to them and in a way, it put me off the punto, along with the fact that they like to eat gearboxes and turbos which cost lots of pennies to fix!

One day I was on facebook and I noticed that one of my old school friends had just got a new car (ibiza FR TDI) and we started talking about it and he loved it, he couldnt say a bad word about it. Naturally I started to look at them ;) I looked on the owners sites and there werent any major problems to be mentioned (bonus), so I started looking on auto trader and ebay, this is when I came across this little beauty!

f28ddafe.jpg

The pic wasn't that great from the dealer but the price and the milage on it made me instantly decide that it was worth the trip! (to Glouchster)

Anyway, to cut a long story short, the car was in really good condition, it had full service history (quite a few receipts for services etc) and it drove well. The rest is history really, I got a good deal on the new car and an excellent price for the old one, I was one happy boy!!

Now on to some real pics for all you die hard fans that read all of that ;)

These pics were taken when I got home (after a wash)

74c48c67.jpg

c811da6d.jpg

29c37962.jpg

Now there are a few blemised on the paint (scratches etc) but these arent a big concern as it gives me a chance to use my DA polisher :) Here are some pics of the polishing work that I did:

Before:
11117cdf.jpg

2274b5ab.jpg

After:

6fceca08.jpg

a379a34b.jpg

Not bad ehhh?

Next up was to replace my rear pads and disks (all negotiated off the purchase price don't worry ;))

New stuff:

e835706d.jpg

c3b9b565.jpg

I am getting squeaking occasionally from the front brakes now though, these may be replaced in the near future as it will get on my nerves in a few weeks!

Now here are some plans that I have:

- 312mm brake upgrade (fronts)
- Remap to 180 bhp and about 300 nm (something like that)
- Seat Sport Strut Brace
- Refurbish alloys in anthracite (or buy cupra wheels)
- Paint calipers all round either red or silver
- Paint/wrap front and rear badges/boot handle
- Debadge TDI from wings
- Tint rear lights
- Tint rear windows (possibly)
- Short aerial
- HID's
- LED/SMD bulbs all round
- Silver indicator bulbs
- Colour code bump strips
- Remove rear wiper (possibly)
- Stealth sub build
- Cupra R splitter (possibly)
- Cupra TDI Intake
- Uprated panel Filter (possibly)

Along with various little bits and bobs.... As you can see, there is nothing major on the cards apart from a remap which won't be done for the best part of a year as I don't want to get bored quickly.

The plan is to go for a black and red theme, this will be subtle though.

I hope you guys like it and the plans ;)

Be gentle :blush:

Last edited:

Adamroberts

Apr 9, 2011
I would also like to add that I have ordered the following parts for the Ibiza:

- Carbon fibre vinyl
- Lens tinting film
- Audi TT pedals

All of the above are from ebay and I am especially chuffed with the pedals as these will be a nice change from the standard rubber items!

Here is a pic of the pedals for anyone that is interested :)

pedals.jpg

Adamroberts

Apr 9, 2011
Pedals turned up today along with the carbon vinyl, hopefully I will get a chance to do some wrapping tomorrow along with fitting the pedals!

Just waiting on the tint film to arrive before some proper progress can be made :D

Adamroberts

Apr 9, 2011
Here is my first official update :D

I managed to get the pedals fitted and also do a bit of carbon wrapping, some parts were more sucessful than others :whistle:

Well here are some pics for you all :)

Pedals before:

3c5c362f.jpg

After:

110aed01.jpg

They are awesome! The rubber gives them a great amount of grip which is much better than the grubby old standard items :thumbsup:

Carbon front badge:

07e678da.jpg

This didnt work out perfectly as it is super fiddly! some parts I cut a bit too short so you can still see a little hint of chrome on some corners :cry:

I guess I will see how long it lasts and then re do it when OCD kicks in haha!

Passenger grab handle and door handle bezel:

943488fa.jpg

e520948e.jpg

Again the grab handle is not 100% as it was tricky to wrap around the top curve but I think it looks great none the less :p

Drivers arm rest/window controls:

145982dd.jpg

Carbon strip over the dash and glove box handle:

34c3cfd5.jpg

99886528.jpg

The dash strip is the only one that I intended to do as it is to hide a couple of scratches in the plastic, I tink it looks quite oem which is a bonus haha!

Also I would like to add that it does look like it is not prarallel, but I assure you that it is, it is just my angle :) Also the mark on the vinyl that looks like a bubble is a raised part of a mark on the dash :)

Gear Knob:

b14d985a.jpg

This was just because I was bored and looking for things to wrap haha!

I have to say that I am chuffed with the cheap carbon, it looks and feels almost identical to di noc but cost about 1/10th of the price!!! The down side to it is that it is not as thick as di noc so you cant work it as much but you have more than enough to do most average sized parts so it doesnt matter!!!

I will admit that the rear badge was attempted however I messed it up, got in a strop and ripped it off haha! I would like to give it another go in the future but in all honesty for what it is worth, I may just end up painting the front and rear badges to get a gloss finish!

Anyway.... thanks for looking and any comments would be appreciated!!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.