256mm to 288mm Brake Upgrade

ELB

Nov 29, 2021
Scotland
Hello and happy new year!

I have a 2009 1.6 petrol Ibiza and recently did a 'big' brake upgrade on the front. I've seen a couple of posts on this forum asking about upgrading from the smaller 256mm setup to the 288mm, but never seen it done, so I hope this post can help anyone who's interested in doing the same thing.

Parts needed to do this job:
  • Steering knuckles without integrated carrier (I bought complete setups with the wheel bearings and dust shields already installed) - 6Q0407256S
  • VW 288mm to 312mm calipers - 1K0615123
  • Caliper carriers - 6R0615125
  • Caliper carrier bolts - N 90708504
  • Caliper slide pins (simply transferred them from the 256mm calipers) - 251 615 219
  • Caliper retaining springs - 1K0 615 269
  • Discs & Pads

Why did I do this?
This job came about after I had a wheel bearing go bad last month, so I figured it would be a good time to upgrade as the cost wouldn't sting as much. I've always felt like the front brake setup on my car was too small for the handling capabilities (1.6 N/A & 1.2 TSI are the quickest 6J models with the 256mm setup), so I always had this upgrade in the back of my mind. Sure, I could've just put some more track-orientated pads on with performance brake fluid and called it a day, but I wanted to do a substantial upgrade as I'd like to take the car on track soon.

The 256mm brakes are completely fine most of the time, I even put on a set of EBC Redstuff pads and they worked really well. However with how I use the car the 288mm setup will be better suited, and I believe a worthy upgrade. Lastly, we all know bigger brakes are cool;).

Doing the upgrade

Unfortunately I didn't take many pictures during the upgrade, but I have a few before and afters. This video is pretty much exactly what I did (except he went for the even larger 312mm carriers and brake discs instead).

Before, my brake setup looked like this:

PXL_20220526_151319506.jpg

PXL_20220726_190919317.jpg

Now, this is what it looks like:

PXL_20231231_143558230.jpg

Side by side with the smaller brake disc.
PXL_20231231_135539284.jpg

PXL_20240101_140654691.RAW-01.COVER.jpg

How do the new brakes perform?
On the first drive I did notice the brakes had a bit more initial grab, but the main difference was when slowing down from +40mph; they just feel more powerful and reassuring. I'm not sure if this is due to the different calipers, the EBC Yellowstuff pads, or the extra leverage of having a larger brake disc. They still feel pretty similar to the smaller brake setup, but the main advantage of the bigger setup will come into play when I take the car on spirited drives/track.

I'll be getting the front wheels aligned before I properly bed-in and test the capabilities of the new brakes, so I'll post an update of the car feels then (especially with the change in brake bias).

What would I do differently?
I made the mistake of buying the calipers and carriers separately. The calipers are easy to get, the carriers however are very difficult to buy on their own for a good price. If I were to do the job again, I'd pay a bit more for Audi S1 calipers with carriers (I saw some for under £150 on eBay). 310/312mm discs can then be used and you wouldn't have to go through the rabbit hole of trying to find carriers for a good price!

The job took a couple of days but wasn't too difficult. It can be done for cheaper if you buy the calipers and carriers together off another car, and buy generic brake pads too. Couldn't be happier with how this went and hopefully this helps others who want to do the same.

RainyDay

May 9, 2022
Hi. I stumbled on your post looking for ways to upgrade the 256mm discs on my 2022 1.5 Ibiza 6F to bigger ones. I've run into the same conundrum as you, the caliper carrier and the hub/knuckle are one cast piece leaving no room for bigger discs. I was wondering if you happen to know if there are any VAG steering knuckles that don't have the carrier built in that might fit my car and also fit the shocks?

I'm having a lot of trouble finding any info on it, for one thing I don't know what other VAG cars share the same design (I assume the 2021 polo and the new Skoda fabia do). But any searches for brake projects on these cars were fruitless. Do you know if any of the older VAG cars share the same arrangement? I would assume your original knuckle wouldn't fit my car? I'm kind of hopeful it would so that I can do what you did here

ELB

Nov 29, 2021
Scotland
Hi, just did some research on your car and it looks like our cars use a slightly different steering knuckle. I don't think the steering knuckles from the 6R Polo/6J Ibiza would fit your car. However I found this forum post which might help: https://uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php?t=75383

If you go to the link that OP posts, there's a 'brake system' link halfway down that page, clicking on that gives you access to the workshop manual for the Polo AW (which I assume has identical underpinnings to the 6F Ibiza). You need to use a VPN and connect to a US server to view it, which is a bit of a pain.

In the manual it says there are 3 different sizes of brake systems: 256mm, 276mm & 310mm. The 310mm, as expected using a different steering knuckle to the others. I might be wrong here, but wouldn't your car use the 276mm brake disc setup? The 256mm setup seems undersized for the power of the 1.5L TSI.

On page 40 there's an exploded view which better shows all the parts you'll need for the 310mm brake upgrade (It's essentially a 2017 - 2019 Polo GTI brake conversion). The caliper, pads & disc will be easy to find online, but I'm not 100% sure on the steering knuckle and caliper carrier. There's not that much info with your platform of car unfortunately, I think your best bet is to ask a VW dealer about the part numbers from a 2017 - 2019 2.0 GTI. From what I've heard the > 2017 GTI uses lots of VW Golf parts. I'll put some links below of what I think would work.

This Autodoc video on a MK7 Golf shows the same calipers, carriers, pads and disc being used. Hope this helps :)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise